Thoughts On Legend

i am really liking it a lot it reminds me of the Xterra 705 but with a lot more adjust ability then the 705 and that is saying something, the ergonomics is better then the 705 the Legend is a bit heavier to me then the 705 but comfortable to swing

updated the Legend to the new update which was the first thing I did before actually using it other then the one time I swung it over my yard so I cannot tell anyone if it is better or worse with the new 01.05 update I will tell everyone when I updated it, I did not think the Legend updated properly even though when you turn it on it does say in the upper right hand corner it is 1.05 it took me about an hour of messaging users on Facebook to finally figure out it was correctly updated

my thoughts on the update install it could have been a simpler process and also could have been easier to find out that the update was installed properly

this is for anyone that attempts the update follow the instructions when doing it if you are unsure ask someone there is all kinds of info and people willing to assist you on Facebook, one thing that makes it difficult to tell if the update took is because when you first turn the Legend on it defaults to custom discrimination on the screen there will be a C by the discrimination bar that C needs to be changed to F, you change that by tapping the horseshoe button to toggle between the discrimination patterns that is the only way you can actually determine the update worked, other then when you first turn the Legend on, the C discrimination pattern does not change once the update has been done 11 is still notched out and the tone break is still set to 11 in custom discrim but when you toggle that to F you will see the tone break is now set to 10 and 11 is now notched back in

Now for the good stuff took the Legend down to the park next to where I live there is a lot of EMI going on in this area I did a noise cancel but also had to lower the sens down to 20 to get it to actually quite down I also did a auto ground balance as the area I am in is highly mineralized my GB numbers came in at 94 so it is hot i, the legend was popping and cracking quite a bit which is understandable because i was in all metal mode just to get a feel for sounds from all targets, keep in mind i only hunted for about a hour and that is because I am still fighting with the affects of having covid a few months ago, it literally killed my breathing so I do not get to go for long before I have to take a break, I will get there though, I was swinging in park mode M1 sens 20 got over my first target which was down about 3 inches a clad penny, that was the only coin I dug after that it was pull tab city I attribute that to not really knowing the legend I dug 4 pull tabs and then had to quit and sit down I have never been one to look at TIDs so I cannot even tell anyone what those TIDs were on the few target I dug I have always detected by sound I will tell you some of the targets the sound is what stopped me, I really need to make a point of starting to look at target IDs and make it muscle memory to do so but I am so set in the way I detect it is going to take some discipline on my part to get there

as far as the Legend is concerned it is a very solidly built detector and with the updates that I believe Nokta/Macro is going to be putting out for the legend I believe it can only get better, the Legend is very comfortable to swing and for me it did not seem to wear my arm out the tones are fantastic and can be adjusted to each users liking, it is for me going to take a bit getting accustomed to adjusting the settings which could take a while simply because I do not get to hunt near as much any more due to health issues

so there is my first thoughts on the Legend

• Like 7

Got mine late this afternoon. Charged everything up and did the update. Tomorrow will be the first hunt - either a local sports complex (clad and modern trash) or a local (mostly fishing) beach. I haven't decided which, yet.

Build quality is what I expected - excellent. The balance is pretty good but I probably won't leave the 11 inch coil on very long. I just prefer smaller coils and (to me) the 11 inch coil seems huge. I think the 11 inch coil will be the better choice for the beach, but the verdict is yet to be determined. I'll try the 11 inch coil in a trashy site (iron or modern) but doubt that I'll be thrilled with it in those types of sites. I mostly hunt iron trash areas, so I expect that the 6 inch coil will get the most use (until NM offers either a 9 inch or the 5X9).

I did make it a point to read the owner's manual again. Hopefully that means I'll struggle less tomorrow.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

Got mine late this afternoon. Charged everything up and did the update. Tomorrow will be the first hunt - either a local sports complex (clad and modern trash) or a local (mostly fishing) beach. I haven't decided which, yet.

Build quality is what I expected - excellent. The balance is pretty good but I probably won't leave the 11 inch coil on very long. I just prefer smaller coils and (to me) the 11 inch coil seems huge. I think the 11 inch coil will be the better choice for the beach, but the verdict is yet to be determined. I'll try the 11 inch coil in a trashy site (iron or modern) but doubt that I'll be thrilled with it in those types of sites. I mostly hunt iron trash areas, so I expect that the 6 inch coil will get the most use (until NM offers either a 9 inch or the 5X9).

I did make it a point to read the owner's manual again. Hopefully that means I'll struggle less tomorrow.

The little bit I ran my Legend I put the spare battery under the arm cuff and with the 11 inch coil it seemed to balance out better it was actually a nicer feel for me with the battery under the arm cuff and it did not seem to add much weight to the over all feel

• Like 2

I ended up going to the local sports complex for about 3 & 1/2 hours. Used Park, Multi 1 most of the time, but did try Multi 2 for a little bit. 60 tones and I ran the 2nd bin to the max (30) because the higher tones tend to do a better job of grabbing my attention. Ground balanced and noise canceled. Ran sensitivity around 23 (I think - don't recall for sure). Mostly ran in the G setting, but also used All metal and the F setting for a while. I left all other settings at their stock levels.

I've seen a number of people detecting the sports complex over the years and just recently spoke to a guy who told me he had cleaned it out and there wasn't much of anything left to find (that was a couple of weeks ago). The complex itself is quite large (6 baseball fields and 4-5 soccer fields, plus parking areas). I stayed in a fairly small area around the concession stand and the two closest ball fields - probably an area no more than 30 yards by 30 yards.

Ended up with $7.17 in clad. No silver, but a number of the pennies were copper. Don't think any were wheats, but I'll check before I dump the finds in with the rest of the clad. I did find two coin spills - one was 4 quarters and a penny, while the other was one dime and four pennies. Didn't dig a single nickel - though I did dig a bunch of signals that could've been nickels (all turned out to be can slaw). Only two coins were really fresh drops - on top of the dirt, buried in the grass - most everything else was 3-6 inches down. I did dig some targets that were a bit deeper than 6 inches - one being a dime that looked like it just came from the mint, and it was 7-8 inches down below thick grass.

I dug a lot of trash. Most of it needlessly so, as I was fairly sure it was trash before I dug it. Got fooled several times by smashed aluminum bottle caps that sounded like a dime and had a steady ID.

Thoughts (so far) on the Legend...

Love the headphones. They paired immediately, great sound, and no lag that I could discern. I think they're likely the equal to the Garrett headphones (and I love the Garrett headphones).

The Legend ran very smoothly. Love the high tones - dimes and quarters give a tone that just grabs my attention. The stock 11 inch coil separated better than I thought it would, but there were times where the smaller coil would've made it easier to hone in on the good target (surrounded by trash). It was very comfortable swinging the Legend with the 11 inch coil - surprisingly so from my standpoint.

I found quite a few coins that were on edge. Far more than I normally do (I think). I don't know why that was - perhaps it was luck on my part, or maybe the Legend is really good at sniffing them out. For the most part pinpointing seemed to be accurate. I did have some misses though - maybe due to so many coins being on edge?

As my brain began to become somewhat more familiar with the tones it seemed that smashed aluminum bottle caps gave a tone that is slightly off - just a bit different from a dime tone. I can't really explain it any better, but I dug several smashed aluminum bottle caps that had a dime's ID but the tone just didn't quite sound like a dime. For me they were kind of an "ah-ha" moment - one that will require more exploration on my part.

Large targets, and shallow targets, give a blasting sound - very brash and loud. Deeper targets have a much more mellow sound to them. I found that variation to be really effective in judging a target's depth. I didn't pay much attention to the depth meter - so I can't really say how well that works.

The Legend seems like it is an intuitive machine. The controls seem to be well thought out, easy to access, and easy to learn. I would like to see an update that makes it easier to see them (make the selected control pop more - so it's easier to tell which control is selected).

If I get the chance I'll take the Legend to the beach tomorrow and see how it does in wet salt sand. After that I'll put the 6 inch coil on and take it to a few of my iron trash permissions. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

I found quite a few coins that were on edge. Far more than I normally do (I think). I don't know why that was - perhaps it was luck on my part, or maybe the Legend is really good at sniffing them out. For the most part pinpointing seemed to be accurate. I did have some misses though - maybe due to so many coins being on edge?

You mentioned this park has been hunted by other detectorists.  Coins on-edge are more difficult to ID, and even to signal sometimes.  There might be a correlation with the detector in use as well.  (My ML Eqx 800 often struggles with them, and I've verified that in air tests.  Also, my Eqx doesn't pinpoint accurately with coins on-edge.)

11 hours ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

As my brain began to become somewhat more familiar with the tones it seemed that smashed aluminum bottle caps gave a tone that is slightly off - just a bit different from a dime tone. I can't really explain it any better, but I dug several smashed aluminum bottle caps that had a dime's ID but the tone just didn't quite sound like a dime. For me they were kind of an "ah-ha" moment - one that will require more exploration on my part.

Again comparing with the Eqx, most aluminum screw caps have dTID's between Zincolns and dimes & copper cents.  The flattened ones typically have a lower dTID (close to fresh drop Zincolns) than those that still retain their initial shape.  So I'm surprised the Legend signals them as dimes.

Thanks for the report.  The Legend is sounding like a winner, and at a great price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Again comparing with the Eqx, most aluminum screw caps have dTID's between Zincolns and dimes & copper cents.  The flattened ones typically have a lower dTID (close to fresh drop Zincolns) than those that still retain their initial shape.  So I'm surprised the Legend signals them as dimes.

Thanks for the report.  The Legend is sounding like a winner, and at a great price.

I'd bet your observations with the Equinox apply to the Legend as well. I don't typically pay a lot of attention to ID numbers, but was making an effort to pay more attention since the Legend is a new machine and I'm trying to learn what it is telling me.

From what I recall, dimes would ID around 45 or 46 and gave a tighter high tone. I think the flattened (aluminum) bottle caps gave an ID of 45 but the tone was a bit off. Pennies seemed to have a fairly large latitude with regards to their ID - ranging from 39-40 for crusty zincs, and 41-42 for those in decent shape. I don't recall where the copper pennies came in, but I think they were around a 42 ID. I need to make it a habit to pay closer attention to the ID numbers - at least until I better learn the tones and what they're telling me.

I just realized that I completely forgot about the ferrous check. I have no idea how it performed. Will have to pay attention to that as well, since it could prove to be a useful tool. 

I do think the Legend is going to prove itself a very good machine. Even more so once NM has the chance to bring a few more updates.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

I'd bet your observations with the Equinox apply to the Legend as well.

I was out today and got an old aluminum cap that came in 25, which is the sweetspot for clad dimes and 95% copper Memorials that aren't recent drops but haven't been in the ground more than 2-3 decades.  I should have clarified in my previous post that I was referring to soft drink aluminum caps (90's and 2000's?).  I get a lot of those, especially from Pepsi bottles.  On the Equinox fresh drop Zincolns have dTID 21, as do the flattened soft drink aluminum screwcaps.  22-23 is typical when they haven't been flattened.  Of course larger aluminum screwcaps (e.g. from the widemouth beer bottles) are higher.  Fortunately I get very few of those.

Keep us informed as you find out more with your new instrument.  😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tahts-a-dats-ago said:

I'd bet your observations with the Equinox apply to the Legend as well. I don't typically pay a lot of attention to ID numbers, but was making an effort to pay more attention since the Legend is a new machine and I'm trying to learn what it is telling me.

From what I recall, dimes would ID around 45 or 46 and gave a tighter high tone. I think the flattened (aluminum) bottle caps gave an ID of 45 but the tone was a bit off. Pennies seemed to have a fairly large latitude with regards to their ID - ranging from 39-40 for crusty zincs, and 41-42 for those in decent shape. I don't recall where the copper pennies came in, but I think they were around a 42 ID. I need to make it a habit to pay closer attention to the ID numbers - at least until I better learn the tones and what they're telling me.

I just realized that I completely forgot about the ferrous check. I have no idea how it performed. Will have to pay attention to that as well, since it could prove to be a useful tool. 

I do think the Legend is going to prove itself a very good machine. Even more so once NM has the chance to bring a few more updates.

That ferro check meter I have also forgot to even look at it I forget it is even there which like you I need to start making it a point to look at it just to get a feel for what is what also the TIDs which is the hardest for me because I have never really ever used the TIDs on any detector, i have always dug by tone if it sounded good I dug

note to self need to make post its to remind me to look at ferro check and TIDs LOL

• Like 1

I didn't make it to the beach today, but I did manage to get back to the sports complex for a short 1- & 1/2-hour hunt. The baseball fields were in use, so I went to the far end of the complex and concentrated on an area behind one of the soccer field goals. I used the same settings as I had the day prior.

Apparently, soccer players/fans are big fans of beer because the area was absolutely littered with crown caps (beer) and pull tabs (the square type) that had been ripped off the can. There were crown caps (and tabs) everywhere - the top of the ground was thick with them, and every swing of the coil was a testimony to the rather impressive recovery speed of the Legend. The 11-inch coil was not the ideal choice, but I stuck it out and learned a few things in the process.

The Legend handles crown caps exceptionally well. They sound horrible (60 tones) - and most of them do not give an ID that could fool someone cherry picking coins. Except the Corona crown caps - they give an ID that suggests the target is a dime or sometimes a quarter. The tone is horrible though - making it obvious that the target is not a dime or a quarter. Ferrous check gave another hint that the target wasn't a good one - with 2-3 bars (or more) filling up on the ferrous side. I'm not sure how deep the target can be and still have ferrous check be effective.

Square tabs sound great, but they give an ID of 29 (most of the time) or a digit above/below. Someone cherry picking coins with the Legend can easily avoid square tabs.

On several occasions I really struggled to pinpoint a good target that was in a bed of trash. Twice I had to re-dig plugs because I had missed the good target (coin) so badly that it couldn't be recovered otherwise. I assign that to the coil being too large for that amount of trash - it just wasn't possible to isolate some targets effectively.

I had a number of plugs that gave up good targets and had several trash items as well. One such plug had two aluminum screw caps, a crown cap, and a quarter. That impressed me quite a bit because the tone/ID was very much a quarter signal.

I dug a zinc penny (shield penny) that gave a target ID of 46 (where dimes ID). Nothing else in the hole, so I'm at a loss as to why it rang up with that ID.

I did dig a nickel today - it rang up a solid 26 and was about 4 inches down.

I didn't dig near as much trash today, but I was far more selective about the targets that I dug - so that's a big part of the lesser amount of trash.

I thought I dug a silver rosie. Even went so far as to keeping it apart from the rest of the coins dug, so I could check it out once I got home. It really did look like it was silver - I swear. A magnifier proved otherwise - it was a 2007 and not silver. Apparently, my aging eyes sometimes play tricks that make me feel pleased with myself for a little while.

Ended up with $1.66 in clad and a set of keys that were a visual find. I left the keys at the maintenance building. I think they were keys to equipment - so likely the keys belong to the maintenance department.

• Like 4

On several occasions I really struggled to pinpoint a good target that was in a bed of trash. Twice I had to re-dig plugs because I had missed the good target (coin) so badly that it couldn't be recovered otherwise. I assign that to the coil being too large for that amount of trash - it just wasn't possible to isolate some targets effectively.

Here’s something for you to try.  (If you’re not already doing it) When picking a target out of trash make a mental note of the good sounds location as you go around the target .  You should be able to see the spot it’s coming from after going around it. Might make two or three trips around…they’re short trips. lol  Don’t use the pin point just dig the spot you hear the good sound at. I think you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to locate it without using the pin point feature. 
 A good example of what I’m referring to would be to watch super freak going around a target in trash then just digging it right out. I know he’s visually seeing that targets location while swinging over it as he makes his circle. Watch his coil movement as he locates the good sound. Hope that helps.  It really does work. Good luck and HH!

• Like 2