Maiden Voyage Was Impressive!

Lodge Scent

My D2 with 9” coil arrived Friday night. Rained most of the day Saturday, finally got out this morning. I purposely went to my most pounded colonial site to see what the D2 could do that the D1 couldn’t. I was very impressed with the D2’s performance. This is a small site, 100’ by 60’ tops. It’s enclosed on 4 sides by stonewalls so it is easy to grid and be thorough. This site has been hit with multiple machines and over the years I have thrown everything at it that the D1 was capable of with multiple coils and every program and setting. I’ve pulled a lot of good targets out of it, but over the last couple of years I’ve been lucky to snag a small cuff button from the iron now and then. I’ve been shut out more times than not at this site over the last couple of years.

The Deus 2 managed to sniff out an additional 6 buttons and a knee buckle fragment from this site. I would have been pleased if the D2 had just pulled out 1 button. My plan going in was to hit it with a couple of Pitch programs then try a Deep HC program. One thing I noticed yesterday when trying out the D2 in my test patch at my house was that the SMF platform allowed me to hit iron-masked targets using a very low Reactivity setting. With the D1, this iron-masked dime at 6 inches, could only be heard with a Reactivity of 2.5 or 3. I could actually hit it with R=0 with the D2 and that surprised the heck out of me. And it wasn’t the nails sounding off, it was the dime.

I couldn’t bring my self to actually use an R=0 with all the iron at this site but I did use a Reactivity of 0.5 to snag a couple of deep small buttons. But I had to swing the coil very slowly at that Reactivity speed. After that I went over the site again with the Reactivity at 2.5 and snagged a couple more fairly deep buttons. I switched over to Deep HC before I called it a morning. I wasn’t really feeling it with the Deep HC so after a while I made a couple of adjustments to suit my preferences and pulled a couple more buttons.

I liked hunting in Pitch using Square Tones. The iron has a distinctive sound. The tonal nuances are a big part of the D2's performance but I was also surprised to see the TID lock in on a couple of these small deep targets. So yes, I was very impressed with the D2 on its maiden voyage. As an added bonus, one of the buttons I pulled today was a Rev War Continental Navy Officer’s button! It appears to be the French-manufactured yellow metal style and I think it will clean up nicely.

• Like 8

Good read. Thanks! I'm loving Deep HC which is 14KHZ max and my modified General program with 40KHZ max frequency. I have a custom Park but haven't used it yet. Learning 2 modes is enough for now.

HH 👍👋

1 hour ago, mudwhale said:

Good read. Thanks! I'm loving Deep HC which is 14KHZ max and my modified General program with 40KHZ max frequency. I have a custom Park but haven't used it yet. Learning 2 modes is enough for now.

HH 👍👋

Thanks Mudwhale. I found the Deep HC pretty interesting. One of the deep small buttons actually flashed TIDs of 05, 07, indicating iron. But I heard no iron tone so I dug. I dug a bit more iron with Deep compared to Pitch but that was understandable. I tried Park over one of the deep buttons. The Silencer setting at 3 with Park had me a bit hesitant to use it but it sounded pretty good! I will play with that setting over future deep targets.

• Like 1

Thank You!

I saved 3 programs in Custom slots based on Max frequency.

General max 40KHZ

Deep HC max 14K

Park max 24KHZ

I think with these programs I will learn the machine better. These programs are the extremes of the FMS programs. Learning each in turn will be the key in mastering this detector. Peace!

• Like 1