Detector Bag Ideas?

For those who use bags to keep your detectors, extra coils, and accessories safer and together during transport, do you use one other than the specialized manufacturer bags with logos on them?  After buying a couple of the expensive ones for other detectors I’ve owned, I am starting to think about how to save some dough plus make them less attractive for thieves looking in my truck windows. One idea is to sew one out of an old blanket or coveralls (my wife makes rock bags out of old geans, they’re awesome). Anyone else have a tip they use for an inexpensive and less attractive one?

• Like 1

I made one from a sleeping bag for the detectors that my grandfather gave me and it has plenty of room for everything. I did make some pockets on the inside to hold my digger, canteen, pin pointer, some emergency snacks, and spare coils.

Here is what I purchased from Walmart,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-50F-Warm-Weather-Recycled-adult-Sleeping-Bag-Red/477760657

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

I made one from a sleeping bag for the detectors that my grandfather gave me and it has plenty of room for everything. I did make some pockets on the inside to hold my digger, canteen, pin pointer, some emergency snacks, and spare coils.

Here is what I purchased from Walmart,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-50F-Warm-Weather-Recycled-adult-Sleeping-Bag-Red/477760657

This looks like a great idea. How did you insert (sew) the pockets, or were they more like dividers? I can see sewing upwards from the foot up towards the top to make a divider, what did you do?

I had a local outfit ( Sugarhouse tent and awning )sew together a vinyl bag for my 5000 and 7000. I had them use the Minelab 5000 bag as a  model but gave larger  dimensions for both, they are rain proof and have a inside liner that softens any banging when handling. Large easy to use zipper that I chose . I can fit every coil option with out collapsing the detector including the 19 inch on the 7. I didn't think of hiding the fact that they would be very easy to be spotted and perhaps robed, just looking for my convenience and taking care of my valuable detectors. They cost "just" 200 appease. I am a little concerned that they look like a detector bag, too bad we have to be worried about that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make a coffin shaped box the size you need for your gear. I would bet you could even leave it exposed and unlocked in your truck bed and nobody would touch it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, GnshpCSO said:

Make a coffin shaped box the size you need for your gear. I would bet you could even leave it exposed and unlocked in your truck bed and nobody would touch it. 

I did make a plywood platform with a single  wide slideout shelf underneath in my truckbed, that plus the black carpet I put on top makes it look like an empty truckbed.  Its great for keeping my shovels, picks and recovery gear on one side, my spare fuel tank on the other, and my refrigerator and other gear in the center on the shelf.  It fits everything underneath for daytrips, problem is for multiple-day camping trips, I have a lot of stuff and have to keep the detectors and backpacks on top of the platform, making them more visible.

• Like 2

I have an old sleeping bag that smells like vomit....... should help deter theft 🙂

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kac said:

I have an old sleeping bag that smells like vomit....... should help deter theft 🙂

That’s the ticket!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, GotAU? said:

How did you insert (sew) the pockets, or were they more like dividers? I can see sewing upwards from the foot up towards the top to make a divider, what did you do?

I took  couple of pillow cases and used velcro to attached them to the inside the sleeping bag for all the accessories.  That way I could put things in an order for me, the coils fit nicely in the pillow cases with room to fold them over to add more cushion. I used the peal and stick velcro and then added a few stitches to make sure they wouldn't go no where.

If you do it right it will fold over the detector nicely and nobody knows what it is. I just wanted to make sure that the bumpy roads I have here wouldn't hurt the detectors or anything else.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Detector Bag Ideas?