I’ve been watching and reading about iron bias just trying to figure it out and what benefits it might have and so on. 
 I started playing with it on my equinox. I’ve got quite a bit of time on the equinox and settled on fe3 back shortly after they came out. Recently I thought I’d play around with it some and see what happened. Well, I wasn’t  really to impressed with it and have since gone back to what I know. Original fe3 which from what I’ve gathered isn’t much iron bias at all. I don’t dig many bottle caps at all and if I dig big iron it’s because I’m trying to make a bad sound into some thing or hoping there’s a good target mixed in. I’m really not expecting anything good but I dig a lot of holes just to see what the sound was.

Now I’ve got the Legend with a preset iron bias. I really didn’t know what to expect but they said “try it out “ so I did. I’m not sure where or how it’s set but I’ll tell you after this mornings hunt I doubt I’ll do the iron bias update. I went to an old farm site this morning that we have hunted a lot. Non ferrous targets are hard to come by and yes there is a lot of iron. I’ve personally hunted it with the deus and equinox and the area I hunted today has been walked over a bunch. I dug ten non ferrous targets and was just over thirty feet from the car. It was like it hadn’t been hunted…almost lol

I guess the use it, set it, hunt it and learn  what it’s saying has worked for me on the equinox. I don’t change the settings much at all now.  I’m thinking the legend might be the same way.  
 I’m no expert but I do find a few things. Love this hobby. Thanks for reading. Good luck and HH!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

I dug ten non ferrous targets and was just over thirty feet from the car. It was like it hadn’t been hunted…almost lol

With a new detector, I don't think you can put a finger on which of its performance characteristics lead to good/bad finds.  The fact that you pulled out some good (i.e. non-ferrous) targets where you had hunted previously may have nothing to do with Iron Bias.

As far as not updating, if the new version has a setting which matches the current Iron Bias value then there would be no risk.  But that's still TBD.

• Like 3

GB, I think maybe I should have just said the Legends preset iron bias setting didn’t keep me from finding good targets in the iron (that seemed to be what a lot were concerned about on a preset iron bias) but for what ever reason I was able to find more non ferrous targets in an area that I very meticulously hunted in the past. Maybe it just separates better. Who knows why, certainly not me.
  I’m one of those guys that could care less about how the machine works which frequencies are used and so on. All I care about is it’s  performance and if I’m finding good targets. I’ll leave the rest up to the people that make them. We did do the update to ours before we ever hunted with them and so far they have shown to be a very capable machine. I only had a very short time to hunt this morning but I’ll be going back and see what else pops up. asap Thanks for the reply! Tom

• Like 2