Surprise At The Park

Just now, NCtoad said:

There’s a town park nearby that I’ve never detected.  It has a woodchip totlot so I thought I’d get there early Saturday morning with the deus II and see what I could find.  I hardly ever hit totlots, but I have limited places to hunt so I thought it would be worth a try.  I spent about an hour in the totlot and only got $1.32 in clad and some junk.  So I thought I’d hit some of the grassy areas of the park.  This park isn’t very old but it was a nine hole golf course before.  I think the golf course dates back to the 80s so not expecting anything really old to turn up.  Before long I found an old shotgun headstamp. Then I found what looks like an old metal wheel off of a toy truck.  Hmmm, I’m thinking maybe there was an old house here before the golf course.  Just a few minutes later I get a very sweet sounding high tone in my custom general 1 program. It’s showing 92-93 on the tid.  I was hoping for a silver dime but about seven inches down out pops a slick no date slq!   I had to leave soon after that but I went back on Sunday hoping for more silver.  Try as I might I only managed two wheaties (1918 & 1920) but did find some nice relics.  

Looks like I’ll be going back there more often!

942824ED-E8AD-4C05-AC0C-12F5146638BE.jpeg

E48A0FBB-E12B-4D7D-A13E-BD7214B432CD.jpeg

9E900A72-B8C8-4CD5-BE06-F0E386BDCCE2.jpeg

CD7FB799-6E22-4E39-9CB3-0D9D5A2C0840.jpeg

BCD5392C-967E-4D86-A161-9AF081800999.jpeg

Sorry to quote my own post but in the second pic, right upper corner are two copper washers.  I dig these quite often. Does anyone know what they were used for?

google earth historical imagery may be able to give you some clues....there is a park near me that I had a similar experience a few years ago. nice work 

strick 

• Thanks 1

Nice !!!!!

• Thanks 1

$1.32? Rich tots in your neck of the woods! I’m lucky to find a couple of coins and a Hot Wheels.

The only productive tot-lot I’ve found so far is a rather secluded one near a high school. I could tell by the trash that older kids hung out there, eating lunch and vaping. 

Still, I like detecting tot-lots in the summer. Digging wood chips is much more pleasant than chipping through rock-hard dirt in the August heat. And maybe I’ll find a Mommy’s lost ring some day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks to be a nice old key there too. I second on spark plug washers if they look crushable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JCR said:

That looks to be a nice old key there too. I second on spark plug washers if they look crushable.

I think the key is a clock winding key.  That makes sense on the washers.  They do look crushable.  

I have never seen a clock winder with wings. I have seen some older locks that had two levers to trip.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

I think the key is a clock winding key.

This Ebay listing says those two sided double bit keys were used in padlocks.  More internet searching says furniture (e.g. roll-top desk) keys are sometimes like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1