My GPX 6000 Review - Resurrected

Thank you for posting this Steve, as a newish detectorist having access to a wealth of knowledge like this is invaluable. You and others here are world class at what you do, and I have learned so much from everyone’s contributions to the forums, it’d be terrible if we lost it.

Please keep up that good work.

• Like 2

The GPX 6000 has had plenty of time in peoples hands now, it's proven itself time and time again, if you rewrote that review today after it being in so many peoples hands you'd be able to write it exactly the same and few would disagree, so it shows how spot on the initial review was.

Minelab are in a comfortable position with their only competition their own detectors, we're lucky to have the GPX 5000, GPX 6000 and GPZ 7000, all excellent detectors with each having their advantages over the other.

• Like 7

Steve, thanks so much for keeping those of us that have an open mind and agree with your very insightful mind. Please keep us in mind when you get a little down that you have a lot of support form us. I don't know what my detecting development would be were it not for you and some others on this forum since I do not have anyone else that I can learn from. Know that you a very much appreciated.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This was a follow up post to the one above, this time a meet with Lunk to compare 6K and GPZ on some tiny stuff. Thanks Keith!

You’re welcome, Steve! Had a great time nugget shooting with you, and we’ll have to do it again now that I have my own GPX 6000. 

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

To sum up, if dropped on random locations in the United States, and I have to go with one of these machines, and my buddy gets the one I do not choose... he can have the stock 7000, I’ll take the 6000. I honestly think it’s my better choice for getting the most gold signals out of the majority U.S. ground.

Steve, after swinging the GPX 6000 all winter mostly on ground I've previously done with the GPZ 7000, I wholeheartedly agree with you; the 6k has been finding so much small gold (and a few not so small) that the GPZ with stock coil missed, it's mind-boggling.

Thanks for reposting this topic. As already stated, it has withstood the test of time. Also, I'm extremely glad to hear of your medical miracle…great news, and I'm sure there will be many more nuggets in your future because of it!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for resurrecting your 6000 review!

I have quietly been finding gold with my 6000 all winter and agree whole heartedly  with your findings. IMO, the biggest factor is, of course, the light weight of the 6000. This is very important as it lets you swing much longer. All else being equal, swing time is King when it comes to finding gold! Also, it's light weight allows one to "swing the angles" easily....the steep sides of banks and gullies. 

I hunted a patch on Sunday that is very difficult from a hot rock and hot ground perspective. It would drive a novice nuts! This place even drives the 7000 batty. Anyway, I took the 6000 in there to see how it would handle this ground and, as expected, it was very noisy hunting in difficult with the 11' mono. The saving grace of this machine in ground like this is it's audio response. I found the first small nug a few minutes in to the hunt and the response absolutely jumped out of the hot rock noise. After an hour or so of listening to and kicking/digging hot rocks I hit another unmistakable signal ....much louder and sharper...nugget number two. The longer I hunted the more I was able to just ignore most of the hot rock signals and found nugget number three.... unmistakable. Then the rain came and we had to call it quits. Now, when you are dealing with a constant barrage of hot rocks you are going to miss some gold due to masking no matter how good the response is.  So, we left some for another day. The loud responsiveness of the 6000 is impressive.

Dean

• Like 5

Thanks Steve.

I agree 100% with you about the 6000...like you I carry injuries and live with pain. I love my 7000 but often looked at it thinking "bugger detecting today" as I knew the next day I would be in much more pain. The 6 has given me the opportunity to just detect knowing that pain wont result, and it has given me gold 🙂

Worth every cent I paid for it.

• Like 3