Why Aren't More Analog Detectors Made?

Analog detectors like Tesoro have a great sound.

Tesoro being a single tone has a very good nuance to the sounds. Coins have a very smooth sound to them. You hear click and pops going through iron but no falsing. Tesoro and other analog detectors have a different sound on larger iron. You can tell it is iron and decide to dig or not.

Personally I would like to see some new analog detectors. There are a some analog detectors available like the Deeptech Vista series. I liked the Vista Gold and Gold Gain. 

I would like to see Tesoro again!

• Like 3

That's what I want. I like all the knobs and switches.

I think I'll get a Tejon again. I miss it.

• Like 1

DeepTech just introduced a new 30 kHz detector, the Gold Hound. The Vista X is what the Tejon could have been. It is a fantastic machine for those who are serious about it. Now if they would just introduce Concentric coils they would have it covered for any situation.

• Like 1

I think it's all to do with sales figures, do you think it would sell well if another manufacturer made one? I don't.   If it sold well Tesoro would still be alive and kicking.  If you owned a business making metal detectors would you think it'd be a wise investment of your money developing an analog detector for the nostalgic or for the very small percentage of people that would buy one as they know how to use them to their benefit and like them?

As mh9162013 said the market for detectors is small enough, add to that some niche product with an appeal to a very limited user base and you're going to make a loss on the product.

Nokta worked out some time ago to throw a lot of bells and whistles on a basic digital VLF and you can turn a basic unit into something people want that will sell well. For them making an analog unit would seem like taking a step backwards.

Deeptech is doing it, I don't see many using them, they're not taking the forums and social media by storm with swarms of users rushing to get one.    They maybe good in the right hands but they just don't have the appeal to the masses that like modern bells and whistles detectors do.

The Vista X is 499 Euros, with conversion that ends up being about $550 USD although I'm not sure what US dealers sell them for, if they do.   So that sits it not much more in price than the Vanquish Pro Pack, an entry level machine.   Not a big money spinner for them.   It maybe viable for them to make it in Bulgaria with costs structures and make a reasonable profit, a company like Minelab or even Garrett and First Texas would likely not see it a viable proposition.

My only analog detector is a Gold Bug 2 so I'm certainly not well versed in analog detectors, I think analogs would appeal more to long time detectorists that were around when analog was the go to detector.

• Like 3

I guess that leaves those who like analog to find what available or look for older detectors.

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

I guess that leaves those who like analog to find what available or look for older detectors.

Use what you like and what works for you as long as your having fun treasure hunting.

• Like 4

You never know what the future holds, records/vinyl (LP's) made a bit of a comeback as purists liked the lossless audio of vinyl compared to CD's until people stopped using CD's and went to digital audio where formats like FLAC came along with high fidelity lossless audio, a bit like you're describing with the analog detectors I guess.   It's probably more likely they'll improve digital detector audio than go back to analog though.

• Like 2

If all I hunted were tot lots and mild soils, I think my detector of choice might be a Tesoro. Those knobs are fun to use, I won't deny that.

Tesoros are like metal detectors and fidget toys built into a single device.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Why Aren't More Analog Detectors Made?