Why Aren't More Analog Detectors Made?

I've watched the deeptech videos, they appear to be a well made unit what would  be the Vista gold gain or gold hound detectors be comparable too, it would be interesting to see a test against the legend, sometimes it's quicker and easier to turn knobs without going to an LED screen pushing tons of buttons ,won't even be able to see  in certainly light, or having to put glasses on to adjust the unit,

I think a more marketable detector is the digital/analogue hybrid, a good example of which is the XP GoldMaxxPower. This uses a micro to do most of the processing and audio generation, but does it in an analogue style. The control-box is largely analogue, rotary pots for GB, disc, volume.
  • Like 3

Different style of hunting. Analog machines take time to learn the machine being used. Not all are the same or have same nuances. They can be difficult in high trash areas especially around can slaw.

As for Deeptech they really need to have some concentric coil options for their lineup. All are above 10khz which can be a big problem around nails and sheet metal like can bits.

Gold Gain looks like it could be a formidable jewelry hunter with that super six coil in parks and tot lots.

• Like 3

My understanding is that the Vista X is a hybrid machine, not pure analog.

Thought Vista X is a dual discrim much like the Tejon. Not sure what they would need to convert to digital since it doesn't have a VDI.

I certainly don't understand the details but it had to do with the signal's processing.

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think it's all to do with sales figures, do you think it would sell well if another manufacturer made one? I don't.   If it sold well Tesoro would still be alive and kicking.  If you owned a business making metal detectors would you think it'd be a wise investment of your money developing an analog detector for the nostalgic or for the very small percentage of people that would buy one as they know how to use them to their benefit and like them?

As mh9162013 said the market for detectors is small enough, add to that some niche product with an appeal to a very limited user base and you're going to make a loss on the product.

Nokta worked out some time ago to throw a lot of bells and whistles on a basic digital VLF and you can turn a basic unit into something people want that will sell well. For them making an analog unit would seem like taking a step backwards.

Deeptech is doing it, I don't see many using them, they're not taking the forums and social media by storm with swarms of users rushing to get one.    They maybe good in the right hands but they just don't have the appeal to the masses that like modern bells and whistles detectors do.

The Vista X is 499 Euros, with conversion that ends up being about $550 USD although I'm not sure what US dealers sell them for, if they do.   So that sits it not much more in price than the Vanquish Pro Pack, an entry level machine.   Not a big money spinner for them.   It maybe viable for them to make it in Bulgaria with costs structures and make a reasonable profit, a company like Minelab or even Garrett and First Texas would likely not see it a viable proposition.

My only analog detector is a Gold Bug 2 so I'm certainly not well versed in analog detectors, I think analogs would appeal more to long time detectorists that were around when analog was the go to detector.

what do you mean with the deeptech vista X conversion?

i bought a deeptech vista X, the newer version with 6 pin coil and different knob, i love it i paid 480€ for it.

for that price there are digital metal detector easy to use. For the vista X the learning curve is huge, but the performance are stunning, i prefer the analog metal detector because i feel more relax when i use, also the sound "speak" better than vdi numbers or 4-5 tones

5 hours ago, Pombo2000 said:

what do you mean with the deeptech vista X conversion?

I mean converting the currencies from Euro to USD.

It's good to hear you're liking your detector, and you've described your reasons for liking it are similar to why Rick wanted more brands to make one.

I'm not saying analog detectors are bad, but as you pointed out yourself it has a huge learning curve, ease of use is something that's increasingly popular with new models of digital detectors, with as much automation as possible, so many things are now done automatically to make them even easier to use.

That's good Steve. I switched to a cell phone like everybody else. A good analogy. 

Detectors I have are Equinox 800, T2se, Xp Orx and Gold Kruzer. I don't have an analog detector right now. Analog can't replace what is out now but they still perform well.

Yup the new pushes out the old. That's the way it is.

• Like 1