New Year, New Site, Old Finds

A good history lesson on the coins and it sounds like you've found yourself some very nice new promising ground.  You can't never complain when you get a couple of silvers.

• Like 4

Nice outing, GB. Great ID job on the Buffalo. May go back and look at some of mine. 👍

And you got silver. 🙂 I don't like digging in crushed stone or gravel, but I'll do it if the signal is good enough.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I don't like digging in crushed stone or gravel, but I'll do it if the signal is good enough.

Besides being a lot of effort, there are two other downsides.  If you're not extra careful it's pretty easy to mar the coin with the digging tool since it's difficult to control.  On top of that, if a lot of vehicle traffic has been over the coin, it might have been damaged by the stones abraiding it.  But the good news as in this case is that typically the soil chemicals haven't gotten near it.  This Warnick is as nice as the day it was lost over 40 years ago.  Too bad it's not a scarce date, but fingers crossed I'll find one of those here, with time.  🤞  (1939-D, I know you're waiting for me!)

• Like 2

If a coin is in gravel it is usually scratched up anyways. I usually make a larger hole around and work the gravel loose to get them free.

• Like 2

GB thanks for the excellent read and history behind some of the finds.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kac said:

If a coin is in gravel it is usually scratched up anyways.

I've had mixed results with those.  First off, some people use 'gravel' to include crushed stone (limestone around here).  I only think of gravel as natural rocks rounded by water flow (then sorted).  The latter are less damaging in my experience.

In the case of this Warnick, the area I found it isn't paved for vehicle traffic but rather just for pedestrians.  That is why I think it came out looking so good.  I've found that in crushed stone roadways, driveways, and parking lots there is a higher likelihood that a coin comes out damaged.

• Like 3

Great looking collection for a day hunting !

Your coin detective research was interesting .

It would be even better if I could remember all that tomorrow !🙄

Outta likes , 🍀🖖  

• Like 1