Lower Rod Flex?

I had a chance to observe a D2 with 11” coil recently, and overall was impressed by what I saw. Seemed just ok on mid to low conductors, but excellent to superior on high conductors. Decided to get back on the order list based on what I saw, thinking it may do better than I thought on silver in my parks. That in mind I switched from 9” to 11” coil, as I’ve decided other units will do better on gold, especially nugget detecting, and that was main reason I wanted the 9” coil, as alternative to 6x11 nugget coil. But for deep silver, I’m thinking the 11” has the edge.

What I did not like was lower rod movement that seemed far in excess from what I remember on my two previous Deus 1 units. Less the rod itself, then slop in the cam lock mechanism. Not sure, but my previous impressions were the XP S shaft was the best of the best. This one… barely ok out of water, and I’d think a disaster swinging in water against resistance.

Anyone else seeing this, or is it a problem isolated to my buddies detector?

• Like 4

I have just the 9” coil and notice flex coming from the lower shaft. The compound seems to present the same kind of flex I experience with the Simplex lower shaft. That so far is my only disappointment. It’s a disappointment nonetheless, and not something I’d expect from a $1,600 piece of equipment. Quality control should’ve caught that.

I agree with what you’re seeing on high conductors. My own personal lawn was done giving up signals in the 80s and 90s. Now it’s alive again. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This one… barely ok out of water, and I’d think a disaster swinging in water against resistance.

Yup, confirmed by my Salt Water testing review. 

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/18421-deus-2-review-for-salt-beach-hunters/

The headphones included are junk as well..........

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, midalake said:

They certainly aren’t optimal. I was expecting this though. I posted a question about whether the WS4 audio adapter would work on the WS6 in another topic for this reason. I do like the concept of the “puck” and that it can be used to make another D2 lite or audio out to another pair of headphones. 

I was caught off guard by the flexing lower rod though. Yet more that will have to be invested to make it whole.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, midalake said:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/18421-deus-2-review-for-salt-beach-hunters/

Oops, been too busy I guess, missed that here! I never was a fan of the included XP phones as I hate on ear phones, but I expected it, so no surprise. I'll be using an adapter to use the phones I want instead. But something has changed in the rod from what I remember, so that was a surprise.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, midalake said:

The actual head band minus the WS4/6 puck costs around $15 US. I agree, using that head band is my least favorite way to listen to the sounds of an XP detector. The WS6 puck however is a great way to listen as a slave or master. Now I just need a 9” FMF coil.

• Like 2

I’m really liking my deus 2 except for that flimsy lower section. I look forward to using it in water this year and I’m quite sure the flex and torsion will be terrible, especially in a current.  A carbon lower would be great as long as long as the cam lock isn’t a weak link as kinda said above. 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had a chance to observe a D2 with 11” coil recently, and overall was impressed by what I saw. Seemed just ok on mid to low conductors, but excellent to superior on high conductors. Decided to get back on the order list based on what I saw, thinking it may do better than I thought on silver in my parks. That in mind I switched from 9” to 11” coil, as I’ve decided other units will do better on gold, especially nugget detecting, and that was main reason I wanted the 9” coil, as alternative to 6x11 nugget coil. But for deep silver, I’m thinking the 11” has the edge.

What I did not like was lower rod movement that seemed far in excess from what I remember on my two previous Deus 1 units. Less the rod itself, then slop in the cam lock mechanism. Not sure, but my previous impressions were the XP S shaft was the best of the best. This one… barely ok out of water, and I’d think a disaster swinging in water against resistance.

Anyone else seeing this, or is it a problem isolated to my buddies detector?

I have a friend of mine who always takes D2 to the sea, both on the shoreline and in the first meter of water. Recently ha has told me that the lower rod suffers a lot from friction with water. He’s 1.90 tall and has to stretch the rod a lot..he's disappointed and worried about that. By the way he uses the 11”..

Erik filmed a video in his Deus 2 review thread of the shaft flapping around under water and was complaining about it being wobbly.

Yea it's excessive...I never liked the deus with the 11 inch coil due to it being nose heavy...my ctx was better balanced  so I sold the 11 and kept the 9 inch which it seems they engineered the shaft for...why don't they re engineer a better shaft for the larger coils they make?  as it's very obvious there is a problem there...watch this video the first few minutes if you want to see a wet noodle...Also Anderson makes a shaft for the Deus but there was some talk about it maybe not working for the Deus 2 on the friendly forum...my 9" comes in this week I got it mainly for relic hunting but it's sounding like I may want to get an 11 as well and mate it to the Anderson shaft for some beach fun...glad you got to see one in action Steve.