Lower Rod Flex?

19 hours ago, mudwhale said:

Steve

The Cam Locks may be the culprit. There was a couple videos showing how to adjust and tighten them up using shims.

My unit takes a little force to close the levers and I have zero wobble. 

Yes, it’s the cam locks. There are of course fixes. Best one would be that for $1500 XP pay more attention to details like this.  Yeah, I know, Minelab and others have done it also. But others being poor is no excuse to be poor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gents,

Thanks for all of the thoughts here.  I'm reviewing the posts, for people's comments/complaints about the existing shaft, and I'm really brainstorming to figure out what/if I can do...

I'm ordering some Deus parts, so that I can have them in hand as I brainstorm...

Thanks all...

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ogliuga said:

My D2’s mount swings a little and it doesn’t stop even screwing it. It’s bothersome..

Ogliuga -- can you tell me what you mean by this?  Are you saying the mount is "loose," in terms of its fit into the shaft?

Thanks!

Steve

10 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Steve, when you get your new XP Deus II and put some hours on it, I hope you do a review as other detectors you have done in the past. Looking forward to seeing it if you have the time. My Xp Deus II with the 9" coil is delivering this Saturday and curious to see how it handles the mineralization we have here in Colorado.

Maybe in a year after passions cool, and I have some real hours on it. But I suppose by then it will be old news.

I really should have not reordered. I'll be doing 98% of my detecting this year with PI detectors. I need another VLF like I need a hole in the head. But it will give me some motivation to do a little park detecting for silver, something I do not do enough of. If it has me finding another Mercury dime it will have served its purpose, and I'll be happy. Happier? I'm pretty happy these days. :smile:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, it’s the cam locks. There are of course fixes. Best one would be that for $1500 XP pay more attention to details like this.  Yeah, I know, Minelab and others have done it also. But others being poor is no excuse to be poor.

I'm lucky mine are tight and I have no wobble. It's definitely a plastic injection molding issue if there are variations. They may have a bad mold with cavities that vary in dimensions or the  mold varies in temperature from cavity to cavity. I'm thinking the mold may be wearing out as it is the same exact part as the DEUS 1. I'm a mechanical engineer and deal with this stuff a lot.

• Like 5

I had zero movement due to a cam lock issue.   However the malleability of the lower rod may be a reason the cam lock’s effectiveness is diminished. 

5 hours ago, steveg said:

Ogliuga -- can you tell me what you mean by this?  Are you saying the mount is "loose," in terms of its fit into the shaft?

Thanks!

Steve

Yes, it’s a bit loose like you say..

• Like 1

For the D2 CF shaft replacement, maybe design a round holed adapter that works as a clamp. To be installed at shaft’s end. Hopefully a far less expensive part to R&R. Especially since the round shafts in CF are widely available.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, mudwhale said:

Steve

The Cam Locks may be the culprit. There was a couple videos showing how to adjust and tighten them up using shims.

My unit takes a little force to close the levers and I have zero wobble. 

Can you post a link to the videos ? Thanks