Lower Rod Flex?

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Lets just call it, what it is.............JUNK!  

Its probably not the best solution but it is adequate for what it is doing. Maybe D3 will address it.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, BeachHunter said:

For the D2 CF shaft replacement, maybe design a round holed adapter that works as a clamp. To be installed at shaft’s end. Hopefully a far less expensive part to R&R. Especially since the round shafts in CF are widely available.

BeachHunter -- yep, I'm trying to consider such possibilities.  No matter WHICH way I try to go, though, there are likely injection molds involved, which are EXPENSIVE.  I just don't trust 3-D printing, in most cases, for any part that will be subjected to any appreciable stresses...

By the way, I got my hands on a Deus II yesterday, to take a close look at the shaft.  WOW...that flex...

Steve

• Like 3

Use a simplex carbon fiber lower or a legend lower.  They fit and with a very small mod the coil works fine on it.   Or buy a tall man center rod as it adds 5" and less of the lower will be sticking out and flexes less.    

• Like 1

3d printed parts are definitely not strong enough. Especially underwater. They are great for proof of concept/prototyping as was my plan.    A working design would have then been CNC milled out of some sort of plastic stock.   However hacking the end off the D2 shaft and gluing and pinning it to the simplex shaft worked well enough that I scrapped the 3d project for now anyway 

4 hours ago, Dug said:

3d printed parts are definitely not strong enough.

Do you have numbers or technical references to support that statement?  Here's a chart with some relevent data:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/materials-guide/properties-table/

It’s not necessarily the material that leads to strength issues. It’s the nature of how the average  filament fed 3d printer makes a part. 
Not  here to argue, just was trying to clarify my earlier intentions of printing a part. 

15 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

Use a simplex carbon fiber lower....  They fit and with a very small mod the coil works fine on it.   ...

I have tried a simplex carbon lower and it doesnt fit on my Deus1 shaft . Too tight ... the simplex shaft is a little too large for the Deus1 shaft  ... I will complain at Nokta ...  🙂 🙂