Lower Rod Flex?

19 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I have tried a simplex carbon lower and it doesnt fit on my Deus1 shaft . Too tight ... the simplex shaft is a little too large for the Deus1 shaft  ... I will complain at Nokta ...  🙂 🙂

It fits , but it's the cam that makes it slightly tighter.  Plastic which gives vs carbon fiber that don't.  I've used a simplex lower and yes it is more snug but you can use a razor blade and remove just a fraction of the cam stop material and it fits great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3d printed parts can be strong enough but depends on the design of the part, filament used and printer setup and settings. Advanced materials such as glass and carbon filled offer much more strength basic materials.

Duplicating a part that was injection molded with thin walls with a fdm will not have the same strength as the parts are formed differently.

CNC machining of parts is very costly and designs can have limitations.

FDM has a good advjantage over cnc machined parts and injection molded parts when parts have thick bodies. CNC part will be heavy and an injection molded part will have suck back and ejector pin marks. Also injection molded parts with thick surfaces also suffer from fissures where the plastic doesn't cool evenly or flow evenly causing weak spots.

FDM has the advantage of using infill patterns where you maintain strength and reduce material and use.

Consider in the case of use for metal detectors with making a coil housing.

Injection molded part would work but be expensive in tooling. Where coil ears are you risk suck back causing a weak spot.

CNC part the cost would be through the roof.

Vacuum formed (most common) is the most cost effective but the entire underside indcluding support ribs would need to be filled with epoxy to make it rigid to avoid knock sensitivity and then will be heavy.

For short production a coil housing done with fdm will not necessarily have the suface quality of the other processes without post processing ie sanding or acetone vapor baths but you can take the solid support ribs and use an infill and internally add support structures to make it rigid with less weight.

The part design needs to be adjusted for the process and material being used.

Additive manufacturing and CNC have their place but not in a mass production demand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

It fits , but it's the cam that makes it slightly tighter.  Plastic which gives vs carbon fiber that don't.  I've used a simplex lower and yes it is more snug but you can use a razor blade and remove just a fraction of the cam stop material and it fits great. 

Thx a lot basstrackerman . Using a Simplex carbon lower shaft for the D2 is a very good idea . It is much stronger and a little longer( 2,5" - 6cm , see pic below ) than the XP polymer shaft . 

The modifs seem easy to do :
1) modify the Deus shaft cam stop to remove a fraction of material
2) adapt the Simplex shaft coil connector so that it fits to the D2 coil , it should not be a pb  ...

I will do that on my future D2.  Then I can extend the shaft a little bit more which will be perfect for me ...

The Deus stock polymer lower shaft and the Simplex optional carbon lower shaft :

DSC00068.JPG

• Like 4

I have to say that I have not experienced this flex problem with my Deus II.  Now I haven't taken my D2 in the surf yet and I never extend the lower shaft beyond 4 so more of it is into the upper shaft and my cam lock is solid and tight.  I guess I lucked out.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

I have to say that I have not experienced this flex problem with my Deus II.  Now I haven't taken my D2 in the surf yet and I never extend the lower shaft beyond 4 so more of it is into the upper shaft and my cam lock is solid and tight.  I guess I lucked out.

Same here.  Mine’s solid.  If I swing it at speeds too fast to detect with the sides of the armcuff flex.  I don’t use the strap, btw. 

• Like 3

Mine arrived last evening, and although I've not been able to get out with it yet, I did give it a good shake and it seems solid to me. I have the 9" coil. It wouldn't be all that difficult to line the interior with a section of round CF if I thought it flexed too much. I guess field experience will tell.

JP

• Like 4

Same here. Got the 9" coil model today,  it's as solid to me as my Equinox with the CF shaft. Just lots lighter 😀

Hope to hit the river with it Friday.

• Like 3