Iron Masking

Can someone explain how one nail can blind a person from seeing lets say a silver dime in test situation yet I have found coins with nails in the plug or in the hole close to the coin often in the wild. Actually the first silver I ever found with the Equinox was a almost slick SLQ. I got 30-32 signal and there were nails in the plug and hole. The quarter was still in the hole. This was 6"-8" deep. I even found another decent size nail in the hole before I found the quarter. The guy standing over me said it's just a falsing nail when I pulled it out. I said no the numbers were solid quarter, and then sure enough found the quarter. It has messed with my head that I can ever find anything when I see test that apparently blind a detector so easily.  

That's one reason I don't have much faith in any made up test.

• Like 3

Humans tend to gravitate towards simple situations and explanations, but Mother Nature often doesn't.  There are many variables in detecting, not the least of which are location and orientation of targets (note: plural) within the coil's view.

Standard tests apply to the setup at hand.  As to how that translates to the wild, well, beware of making too strong of a generalization.

Early humans (even into fairly recent centurles) didn't understand rare total eclipses.  Did they then assume that the sun wouldn't rise the next day? 

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  There is value to standard tests, but only if one keeps in mind the assumptions.  That's no different than any other real situtation one will ever experience.

• Like 4

A small manipulation of the test targets, swing speed or any number of things can dramatically change the results, these tests are only as honest as the person doing them.

• Like 9

On 3/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, longbow62 said:

That's one reason I don't have much faith in any made up test.

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

There are many variables in detecting, not the least of which are location and orientation of targets

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

these tests are only as honest as the person doing them.

Over the last few years there seems to be the guy[s] that work endlessly to find the "gotcha" moment of a detector to tell you what it won't be able to detect. 

However finding this perfect gotcha moment in the wild rarely exists.  Most of these can be beat by just doing a 360 check around the target. None of these are helpful "tips" 

• Like 7

There is an important difference between a "built" test and a finding in the ground, an object that has remained underground for a long time creates a halo around it that substantially changes its response, putting a coin between two nails or finding a coin between two nails it is not the same thing. Generally I do not give much importance to home tests, I have done many too but I have not found the solution to make a test equal to reality.

• Like 3

There are several very good separation tests for unmasking in iron ... ,, and I can say that when the detector passes 3-4, ,,,, 2D-3D separation tests .. then the detector will work very effectively in unmasking and in terrain ...

If you look at it from the other side .... So those detectors that can very well and effectively detect targets on iron-polluted terrain .. I will achieve excellent results even in comparative separation tests ...

.... the main point of this story about separation tests is ... that successful detector manufacturers themselves do not underestimate it ...... and they really devote enough time to testing their detectors in various separation tests .... / let's call it separation control capabilities / a .. then also the subsequent testing of the separation capabilities of the detector in the field ...

Thus, the end user will receive a detector that will be able to find new targets even on very pre-detected terrain ...

....don't underestimate unmasking testing..!!!.

Field testing of pre-production multifrequency software at ATREX...IMG-20220323-WA0027.jpg

• Like 3

Plenty of defense of artificial tests, and people who swear by them. I'll be the one guy that continues to insist on tests of genuine found targets however. Somebody has to be "that guy" and it may as well be me. :smile:

Small coils are great at seeing between closely spaced targets. However, where targets are sparser, larger coils have a better shot at seeing a deep coin under a shallow trash target, by having a larger, all encompassing detection pattern. A small coil will tend to focus more on the shallower, closer targets. That's what I mean by "see around" versus "see through"

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/SearchcoilfieldshapeApril2012.pdf

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

So being new to the Equinox... Seems to me the audio is super important. I can hear the tone chirp among the iron grunts. Maybe no I'd #s but still the audio signal. Even if sweeping different directions still only gives a coin audible and no Id#  but audible is consistent, do dig it?