Iron Masking

24 minutes ago, Lost Scout said:

do dig it?

If in doubt, dig it out! Many on this forum have a ton of time on their various machines. Most of them, if not tired and worn out, will dig the iffy signals if there is even a chance that the target may be good. Take the time to learn what your machine is telling you, and you will be rewarded in due time.

• Like 3

After a good amount of time using a particular detector, you gain all sorts of coordination with it, as long as none of the fundamental operations have changed (firmware updates). Best to dig a lot at first, your brain remembers these things subconsciously, and you find you're digging less trash after a while.

A big variable is where you are. If it's substantially different than your usual place, say beach vs. farm, you learn a different set of coordinations, it may be slight but it's there. A lot of time spent in the same places returns the rewards most of us seek. 🙂 If you're always going to different environments the learning slope is steeper.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lost Scout said:

So being new to the Equinox... Seems to me the audio is super important. I can hear the tone chirp among the iron grunts. Maybe no I'd #s but still the audio signal. Even if sweeping different directions still only gives a coin audible and no Id#  but audible is consistent, do dig it?

Your explanation is short of description to answer fully. Can you tell us what mode your hunting in and your settings? 
If I had to guess, I would say you are hunting with horseshoe mode on if you are hearing iron?  

12 minutes ago, midalake said:

Your explanation is short of description to answer fully. Can you tell us what mode your hunting in and your settings? 
If I had to guess, I would say you are hunting with horseshoe mode on if you are hearing iron?  

So the yard is one big target. Old ranch house built in 29. Can't even turn on the 4500 or sweep the GB2. Really excited to get the Nox for this kind of thing. Taken it to other sites and have put at least fifty hours in. ( The lawn looks a little rough now😂). For this spot I've settled on field 2 with 5 tones. Horseshoe on. Iron volume at 2 and the other volumes at 20. Recovery at 7. Iron bias f2 and playing with the setting. Sensitivity around 17.

59 minutes ago, Lost Scout said:

For this spot I've settled on field 2 with 5 tones. Horseshoe on. Iron volume at 2 and the other volumes at 20. Recovery at 7. Iron bias f2 and playing with the setting. Sensitivity around 17.

I am not a dirt hunter and others will comment on your settings. But right away I would lower recovery speed to 5. Keep you coil swing slow. 17 is not much for sensitivity, but best to start low, to let the machine teach you what to listen for.
One tip though> You can usually bump the sensitivity up one or two points just to look at a particular target better!  

Now these targets that sound good but do not TID, should be dug.

Different operating modes [frequencies] on the Equinox will have different results.
However, in Beach 2 for example.  With the horseshoe mode on I can hear the faintest of targets.  If sweeping around the target produces a double ring or a breakdown of detection in any one direction the target is iron 100% of the time.  
If a target is nonferrous, it will give the same unbroken tone 360 degrees around the target. You will have a few pieces of deep iron fool you,  but very few. This is the way to identify targets that do not TID.

But I have no idea if this works in Park or Field modes. Experimenting on a deep buried dime or quarter will be able to show you this, also a deep buried nail to show a double ring or detection breakdown. 
I would get it down there at the edge of your ability to hear the target with horseshoe mode on. 

The Equinox has a great ability to identify deep nonferrous targets that do not TID anymore. Almost all of these targets would not even been heard at all, working with the horseshoe mode off.   HH

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 8:38 PM, Lost Scout said:

So being new to the Equinox... Seems to me the audio is super important. I can hear the tone chirp among the iron grunts. Maybe no I'd #s but still the audio signal. Even if sweeping different directions still only gives a coin audible and no Id#  but audible is consistent, do dig it?

I saw your other post too. Thanks for providing your settings.

All I can say is this, I often hunt areas that have been sodded and they have also had steel sod staples installed in the nylon mesh under the sod. Those staples when they start to rust sound like a bed of nails and chirp with mid and high tones. Sometimes those tones are accompanied by target IDs that flash up for a second and sometimes no ID but still a high tone chirp or false. I can turn up F2 all the way to maximum and I will still get some falsing chirping on those rotting staples. I can usually turn 90 degrees and get iron responses or very fractured audio. Setting the recovery speed too high just makes every target sound like a iron falsing chirps unless there is a non-ferrous target on or near the surface.   Just my two cents. In no way am I diagnosing your hunting scenario's characteristics.

• Like 1

KIMG0119.thumb.JPG.16979de4c14d3cbbf41d71a313335ada.JPGThanks for input. I'm getting better at the audio signals and have dug almost everything to this point. Went out today and really paid attention to the sounds. Turned my recovery speed down and was able to tell a lot more about the targets. I'm getting there. Didn't dig as much iron today. But lead and aluminum with solid signals have to dig. A pic showing not so much iron. My stuff on the left, my fiancee stuff on the right.KIMG0119.thumb.JPG.16979de4c14d3cbbf41d71a313335ada.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Every detector talks a little differently.

It's like learning French , Dutch or even Japanese..! It can be quite confusing at first....

The more you use the Nox , the more you will understand what it's language is telling you. 

I would dig that target just to learn that "word".

(Sometimes the "word" sounds like aluminum but there's a gold ring there.........)

You found "treasure" in this forum .

Lots of experienced answers are the "gold" within.

Good luck learning "Equinox" .  

• Like 2