Hello From Oklahoma

Mongo

Hey all, newcomer here and to metal detecting. Just got my eq 600 2 days ago, high followed the first rain here in over 2 months and of course, it was a doozy. If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like for a 10 yr old to get one of the coolest presents ever, but made to look at it for days, sitting there, mocking you…well if you want to know, I’m your guy.                                                                                                                                                          
   Anyway, anxious to learn all I can from yall’s experiences and knowledge of the science.  Thanks!

• Like 5

Hi Mongo, 600 user here myself, and have been detecting a about a year and a half now. If you look at my profile you should be able to see my posts, I've done well for a noob, but I'm 62 😀

I feel ya on the wait to use the machine, got mine in November and had to wait until Christmas to get it. I have a Garrett Ace 400, so it filled the gap. In the meantime I read Andy Sabisch's great book, and all of Clive Clynick's publications. Clive is a member here.

What are you looking to do with your detector? Relic hunting, parks, beach hunting, prospecting? All of the above? There are a lot of people here with knowledge in every category.

Best to start out in your yard with a good plug shovel, watch videos on digging, and do make sure you read up on metal detecting etiquette.

Remember you should not detect anywhere that you do not have permission from the actual owner or an overseeing authority. 🙂

Don't be afraid to ask questions here and please post photos of what you find! The season is heating up now but we still appreciate those that post experiences. Most of all do not be afraid to be wrong. 👍

• Like 5

Thank you sir! I’ve been reading the Sabisch book and it’s very informative. I’ve also been watching some select videos, digging and replacing plugs, etc.  Just have not been able to get out and hunt. Oklahoma red clay is of the same consistency as modeling clay when it’s wet, and brother it’s wet! I’m just anxious to  start learning this thing. All the adjustments and settings and terminology are a bit overwhelming, and I learn best by doing. I don’t understand a lot of what I’m reading and how it relates to the ground I will be hunting around here, so it needs to dry up so I can go figure some things out! By the way, I’m 58, so I also have a long way to go and a short time to get there haha.  
    Hope to talk more soon, I’ll let you know how the 600 acts, maybe we can compare notes. 

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions because that is the way to learn.

I have a 800 and only use the factory settings, but I have found some very nice items. This year I may be able to find some time to really use the detector and find even better items with it.

Just take your time and it will turn out good for you.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mongo said:

All the adjustments and settings and terminology are a bit overwhelming, and I learn best by doing. I don’t understand a lot of what I’m reading and how it relates to the ground I will be hunting around here, so it needs to dry up so I can go figure some things out! By the way, I’m 58, so I also have a long way to go and a short time to get there haha.  

Virginia has red clay, although not as much as South Carolina, or apparently Oklahoma. 😀 My peninsula has a type of material called "Blue Marl" (presumably from all the colonial tobacco farming) that is the opposite, it's easy to dig when damp, but like concrete when dry. Ran into some red clay in a field recently and know what you mean.

Valens Legacy mentioned that he just uses stock settings, nothing better than that to start, and possibly stay with. I met and hunt with Chase Goldman here who contributed to Andy's book, I used his Field 2 settings from the book initially, but both of us seem to have migrated to Park 1 over time for relics. Best advice I ever got was from the dealer who sold me the detector: "Don't overthink the Equinox". 🙂

I do relic hunting in my old farms, beach hunting from time to time, and seem to be one of the few that is lucky enough to get permission to hunt RV campgrounds, maybe because I'm a "geezer". 🤣 I've also done some river hunting locally, there is an old steamboat landing right near my house.

That's the key to success - not settings - you have to get your coil over something. Get out there and DO it! In my case a lot of those "somethings" date back to the 1600s. 😀 The first I dug were in a field right in front of my house, my entire detecting history is on this website.

Best tools out there for you:

Internet research about the history of your area, where the public places are. Also, the laws regarding metal detecting where you go.

Get an app for your cell phone like OnX Hunt which will show you property lines if you're willing to pay a subscription. It will also track your coverage of an area and you can save photos of finds. If you ever get into other types of hunting it's the best out there. OnX will give you property owner info, and you can use your local land records to find owners and get permissions. One of my favorite ways to get a permission is to drive by the place, see them out, and ask.

Use historicaerials.com which will also enable you to use old USGS topographic maps that will show you approximate old house locations. Mark them in OnX Hunt and get out there.

A lot of the 800 stuff is the same for the 600 as you know, but the 600 has "narrower" settings that will keep you from messing it up too much. That may be an advantage... 🤔😎

Then there's headphones, bags, pinpointers, sand scoops, you name it. Lots of potential gift ideas... 😁

Browse the forum on a rainy day, and ask us if you have trouble finding the info you need.

You will get lots of stuff on other forums, but this one is by far the best moderated and most accurate regarding metal detecting. 🙂

• Like 6

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it. I actually got to go out today, dug around 20 holes or so…..meh no goodies. I did dig out a big piece of cast iron that rang up at 28-30. I also came to the conclusion that people drink way too much pop.  I also dug some holes that had strong signal but as I searched around for it in the hole and plug, it completely disappeared. I’ll be out again tomorrow, sure wish I could dig some gas money! 

• Like 5

Welcome, I'm a 600 user myself. Starting out, keep it simple for a while. In fact, I've pretty much kept mine simple from day one and just this morning recovered a 1790 half reale in Park 1 and sensitivity of 24. Its a fun hobby and rather addictive. Good luck! HH Jim Tn

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Mongo !

Good to hear you have made it out to start your new addiction. LOL

You'll understand why I said that soon........

Yes , you will dig junk ! Pay attention to what you hear the detector doing , and as you dig things up . Try to remember what sounds it made. That's your "clue" . As you learn the clues , you'll begin to understand the language of the detector and can dig less junk..   

There is plenty of good info already posted to keep you busy while you aren't out learning your machine..

(I've been here for a couple of years and still haven't caught up !)

Steve's guides is a great place to start..  

The gang here like pics (as they keep reminding me....)

• Like 4