A Dose Of Reality From A (non- Nokta Makro) Legend

I need to check out that guys site and I'm embarrassed  to say I never heard of him before.  Personally I don't get on lists any more..I mean I wont put any money down on a detector and wait months for it to come in...If I really like  the looks of a detector I tell my guy to send me one when he gets them in...In the rare instance If I decide I must have certain detector fast then I'll just buy from whomever has one in stock at that moment. I'll say one thing It is interesting to watch the behavior of people on the internet forums and youtube. Sorting through the BS I can learn bits and pieces some times. Also I'm not shy to call BS when I see it...and its never personal 🙂 we all should be critical when evaluating things we may be purchasing and it's important that we continue to be. 

strick 

• Like 5

I am just like you Strick. I could care less what someone uses. I love my Deus...but it struggles in that nasty red dirt. I believe the D2 should do better, but so will the equinox, and its $600 cheaper, so that's what I will probably buy next, ha. Anyone get their feelings hurt by that? 🤣 

• Haha 2

Dick wrote a lot of great books, and I sold a ton of them back in the day. We are also of a similar generation and mindset. I find most of the drama these days to be a turnoff. It’s a very good commentary he wrote. I’ve said it many times here. It’s just metal detecting, folks, and it’s supposed to be fun. Instead, people argue to the point of hurt feelings. If it’s leaving anyone feeling upset or angry, something is wrong.

On the flip side, it’s a reflection of the sheer passion some people have for this, and fuel for Internet forums like this one. :smile:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, strick said:

I need to check out that guys site and I'm embarrassed  to say I never heard of him before.

No need to be embarrassed; it's just metal detecting.  😃  I suspect most people in the USA don't even know who their elected representatives are.  That should be embarrassing, but I doubt it is to them....  Some people are proud to be ignorant.

24 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Dick wrote a lot of great books, and I sold a ton of them back in the day. We are also of a similar generation and mindset.

I have a couple of those books.  I remember a few years ago (probably about 5) that he posted here about how people delude themselves when they get a brand new detector.  I just Google searched for that post and didn't find it.  I remember a couple things he said were that people swing more slowly and aren't as selective with discrimination.  He said more and it was rather enlightening to me at the time.

Here's a link to a thread about an interview he did with Steve H. about 2 1/2 years ago, with a link to that interview:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Counterpoint: I agree with the idea that a good detectorist will find gold with anything and it's field performance that really matters in the end since tests can't replicate field conditions. But I find tests extremely useful and worth scrutinizing. And so do, I think, lots of newer guys who started in the same position as I did. That is to say: knowing zero other prospectors and having no good location knowledge to go off other than the stuff online that every other person has already seen. Why are tests useful? They build confidence in your machine and from confidence grows patience. The two keys IMO to successful gold detecting.

Jason, I’ll be argumentative and disagree with the premise here. Cause that’s what forums are for, right, arguing?:smile:

I don’t think anyone is against sound testing. It’s this hell bent rush to be first to post, with no hours on a machine, or even reading the manual. It’s not an argument against testing, but an argument against bad or misleading testing. I’ve often been first to post thoughts on detectors, but it’s after months, or more than a year, of use in most cases. Except for the rarest of rare cases, I never did the this versus that stuff. People who specialize in trying to make one detector look good, by making another look bad, are going to stir a pot often better left unstirred.

I very much think there is a place for most detectors in somebody’s personal scenario and budget, and figuring out what machines do well, instead of focusing on what they don’t do, was alway my calling card. Maybe that made me overlook things I should not have overlooked, but it’s just who I am. I’ll never tell somebody they are stupid for owning an Ace 200, as long as they are having fun, and making finds that are enough to please them. The world has enough snobs.

Gotta admit in the gold game it’s a bit different. It’s often more serious, often genuinely about some income. The competition is fierce, the gold patches playing out. There is a big difference between that, and the vast majority of detectorists, who are just out having a good time in a park or schoolyard.

• Like 8

Good one, GB.

Let me add that it makes more sense to wait for a while after a new detector comes out unless you want to be a part of all the hassle of evaluating it, especially if you're inclined to throw your golf clubs. 😁 Let 'em work out the bugs, make the fixes, and go with the pros.

As a network manager for many years, I stopped jumping to the latest releases no matter what they promised. I would wait at least 6 months to upgrade. Never had a problem.

• Like 3

I was extremely lucky to have KiwiJW show me the ropes, took me right to the gold and showed me how to find it, you can't ask for more than that, he gave me a shortcut to success without a doubt, a very generous act.    He told me which coils to buy for my GPX to get the best results in our area etc etc, so I had it easy compared to someone learning alone.  I was doing pretty poorly until he came along so I was very lucky.

In saying that every single coil I get, or every detector I test the bejesus out of it, I want to know it'll do what I want it to do, I want to work out which is best for which environment so I know what to use on the day.  This could be done by just using it at spots and seeing if I get results, but I can shortcut that by just testing it myself before going to the gold areas or coin spots and save time.  The testing also gives me a lot of confidence in my gear. 

The problem I see with tests that are publicly put on Youtube or somewhere is those results are suitable for that person in their soil, and results can and do vary a lot in different environments.   That's partly why I liked the shotgun pellet test Geotech told me about where you have various size lead shotgun pellets on ice cream sticks as its universal, you're using the exact same pellets every time so you can get a baseline to work out just how sensitive a coil is, and if a detector won't find the pellet in the air is sure as hell won't find it in the ground.   That's been a very useful test for me as someone that looks for very small gold and has proven to me which coils are more sensitive than others and there were some surprise results with detectors and coils.  It's paid off too as now I know which coils to use in the field for the task at hand.  I had a guy telling me one coil he had was so much more sensitive than his standard coil and will find much smaller gold, so I asked him to stick a #6 lead pellet on a stick and waive it over both coils and then tell me which you think is more sensitive, often their opinion is a placebo.  The guy was shocked with the results and also disappointed, I won't mention which coils I'm referring to, easy for people to test their own.

For coins I had to self teach as I didn't have a friend to help with that one however I found coins much easier than gold and having a forum like this one with plenty of helpful people to give advice I ended up doing quite well on coins.   I did plenty of buried target testing with coins just to confirm behaviours and work out which detectors would even be deep enough to find the coins I'm chasing, if I just listened to reviews online I'd be steered in the wrong direction many times as to which detectors are best for me on coins.  The amount of times people kept saying the Simplex is a deep machine for coins and the endless good reviews on it made me give in and buy one, well.... it's not, not for me at least, it's good if you want to dig every target that claims to be deep iron, then you may find some decent silvers in my soil.

I'm not really interested in watching test videos anymore, I just skip through some if its on a detector I'm interested in, but if the person making the video is saying this detector is the best detector for whatever reason I know to take that with skepticism as it maybe the best for their conditions but will it be for mine? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deathray said:

I am just like you Strick. I could care less what someone uses. I love my Deus...but it struggles in that nasty red dirt. I believe the D2 should do better, but so will the equinox, and its $600 cheaper, so that's what I will probably buy next, ha. Anyone get their feelings hurt by that? 🤣 

I hope and pray everybody in my neck of the woods buys a Equinox or Legend.