Deus 2 With A Wired Coil?

NCtoad

From what I’ve read there are no small sniper coils, like a 6” round because of there not being enough room for a battery.  I wonder if it’s possible for XP to make a conventional wired coil that plugs into the back of the remote?   The coil would probably be less expensive and you could use it in water without the antenna.  Might be a killer coil for gold hunters and trashy curbstrip hunters.  

What I mean by using it in water is wading where just the coil is submerged.  You wouldn’t be able to submerge the RC because you’d lose your wireless headphone signal. 

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

From what I’ve read there are no small sniper coils, like a 6” round because of there not being enough room for a battery.  I wonder if it’s possible for XP to make a conventional wired coil that plugs into the back of the remote?   The coil would probably be less expensive and you could use it in water without the antenna.  Might be a killer coil for gold hunters and trashy curbstrip hunters.  

What I mean by using it in water is wading where just the coil is submerged.  You wouldn’t be able to submerge the RC because you’d lose your wireless headphone signal. 

Interesting idea, but I think XP would probably just be better off providing an external shaft insert battery like they did with the white elliptical HF coil and make it simply wading submersible like with the white coil.  However. XP has also stated that the Deus 2 FMF coil electronics package also presents a challenge fitting into the small coil form factor.  So an external power source doesn't necessarily solve that problem.

Anyway, presuming the coil would still transmit and receive the control and target signals wirelessly and that the on-board FMF coil signal processing and radio electronics package could fit,  it would still require a redesign of the remote connector to add more pins for coil power and you would have to change the power management system on the remote to deliver power to the coil (it only receives charge power).  After all that, unless you could somehow fit a higher capacity battery in the remote, run time would be severely limited because both the coil and remote are draining the remote's battery.  And as brys said, if you did want it to be operational submerged at shallow depths (even if not dive rated), you would still need to string up the waveguide antenna coax wire between the remote and the coil.

If, instead, you wanted the coil to be purely a dumb wired coil you would probably have to redesign the entire platform from the ground up because the remote relies on the coil electronics to do some of the target detection signal processing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

it would still require a redesign of the remote connector to add more pins for coil power and you would have to change the power management system on the remote to deliver power to the coil (it only receives charge power). 

Yes. 

If a small elliptical is a non starter, then whats the minimum coil size that would not have the manufacturing issues and yet provide enough of an advantage  in trashy areas and around obstacles to be worthwhile?   How about a 7” round for instance?  

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Interesting idea, but I think XP would probably just be better off providing an external shaft insert battery like they did with the white elliptical HF coil and make it simply wading submersible like with the white coil.  However. XP has also stated that the Deus 2 FMF coil electronics package also presents a challenge fitting into the small coil form factor.  So an external power source doesn't necessarily solve that problem.

Anyway, presuming the coil would still transmit and receive the control and target signals wirelessly and that the on-board FMF coil signal processing and radio electronics package could fit,  it would still require a redesign of the remote connector to add more pins for coil power and you would have to change the power management system on the remote to deliver power to the coil (it only receives charge power).  After all that, unless you could somehow fit a higher capacity battery in the remote, run time would be severely limited because both the coil and remote are draining the remote's battery.  And as brys said, if you did want it to be operational submerged at shallow depths (even if not dive rated), you would still need to string up the waveguide antenna coax wire between the remote and the coil.

If, instead, you wanted the coil to be purely a dumb wired coil you would probably have to redesign the entire platform from the ground up because the remote relies on the coil electronics to do some of the target detection signal processing.

I’m not sure you guys are following what I’m saying.  Would it be possible for xp to make a small coil with a cable that plugs into the back of the remote?   Not a wireless coil.  A six inch coil just like the equinox has.  I don’t know if the plug in the back of the remote could even run a coil.  The coil would not be transmitting wirelessly, but through the cable just like on any other detector.  I highly doubt that they designed the remote to work with a cabled coil.  But wouldn’t it be neat if they could?   That way guys that don’t really want a wireless machine could buy a wired coil. Plus it would be less complicated to manufacture (no battery, no wireless transmitter) and you wouldn’t need the antenna if you’re wading in water.  Another plus is that the wired coils would be less expensive.  So it would be a hybrid wireless or wired detector depending on which coil you buy.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

I’m not sure you guys are following what I’m saying.

Completely followed what you were saying.  It would be neat but it would also be a completely different detector design.  The second paragraph of my reply addressed the wired coil option.  We're talking about a wholesale detector platform redesign because the Deus/Deus 2 rely on the coil electronics not just for wireless signal transmission but the coil electronics also handles much of signal processing duties.  That's why you can run the detector with either the remote or the smart headphone puck as the controller.  In other words, as XP says, the brains of the Deus/Deus 2 platform reside in the coil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Completely followed what you were saying.  It would be neat but it would also be a completely different detector design.  The second paragraph of my reply addressed the wired coil option.  We're talking about a wholesale detector platform redesign because the Deus/Deus 2 rely on the coil electronics not just for wireless signal transmission but the coil electronics also handles much of signal processing duties.  That's why you can run the detector with either the remote or the smart headphone puck as the controller.  In other words, as XP says, the brains of the Deus/Deus 2 platform reside in the coil.

Ok, now it’s starting to sink in.  Lol!   So I guess that’s why the battery on the nox is in the handle.  It’s too big for the control box because it’s not only powering it but the coil processing also.  Thus separate batteries on the deus divvying up the power source so the batteries can be smaller and fit inside each component. Am I on the right track?   Lol

• Like 1