Self Servicing The Fisher Impulse?

3 hours ago, bklein said:

Is it normal for the control head to have flexibility on the grip? On mine the grip is fixated to the main shaft but the head flexes in position like it’s held by rubber.

Never purposely applied pressure to the head on mine before. Just went and put some thumb pressure on the head of mine and there is some flex when side pressure is applied. I'm not going to test it's limits. The AQ has been good to me and I do not want to do any destructive testing on it.

• Like 1

Mine started acting up today. I was trying to determine if one of the rotary switches was intermittent. Seemed so but in doing so I discovered the flex. It’s pretty weird. Rotate the delay for EMI, found only one or two that didn’t have a solid tone. Chose one of those and it was back to normal. In other positions the switches seem flakey (push down on the knob) and even moving the head would change the behavior. Wish I could take it apart and see what’s going on.

19 hours ago, bklein said:

Is it normal for the control head to have flexibility on the grip? On mine the grip is fixated to the main shaft but the head flexes in position like it’s held by rubber.

One of my first suggestions was to change the way the control box is mounted or at least the material used to mount it from hard plastic to nylon or SS. It is hard to explain but only a rectangular piece of plastic the shape of a domino but half its size holds the control box to the handle via two screws. Below are a few pictures of LE Jags ( look closely at the yellow tape ) and then my first AQ which had a fight with a breaking Atlantic Ocean wave only a few days after I received it. It will rock left to right on the handle as it is a poor mounting design. If you notice, now LE Jag has his mounted in a Pelican box and carries around his waist.

EEBF6BC5-0DA2-46F9-9289-A6E73CE9782E.jpeg

88B4EC0F-17CB-42B9-B9A3-BB626FEF54B4.jpeg

C7AD57E1-3A38-46E6-819B-3B4CD87A85CE.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 3

Any idea how or if this control head can be opened without serious damage ( for repair purposes)?  Say your unit is out of warranty (like mine) will it be repairable >3 years from now?

I can see mine doing exactly what yours did, so no sense trying it in our So. CA waves, thanks for the photos.

6 hours ago, bklein said:

Any idea how or if this control head can be opened without serious damage ( for repair purposes)?  Say your unit is out of warranty (like mine) will it be repairable >3 years from now?

I can see mine doing exactly what yours did, so no sense trying it in our So. CA waves, thanks for the photos.

I have no idea. I wish Carl would chime in. I know Dennis put his in that Pelican box or similar box. I however don’t have any photos of it or any idea how it was done. I would think FT would offer a fix for a reasonable price. Here is another machine I had replaced because of shoddy workmanship. You can see some type of sealant if you zoom the photo.

ADADD419-551D-412F-A435-06FEA6978D80.jpeg

• Like 1

I fixed the issue with the Delay rotary switch by tightening the front panel nut under the knob.  That may mean a bad solder connection on the board.  The shaft flexes either way so that's what I'm thinking.  The "Fixed" video also shows me attempting to null out the bad EMI in my backyard, and how the control head flexes on the handle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 9:22 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Which of these was the right angle cable on your battery?  That's a nice one.  The Automation Direct ones would work though.

I wonder why the headset connector has so many pins.  Isn't it just really two active ones for the audio?  I'm thinking of trying a APTX LL transmitter setup but wonder if it will hear the whimpers at 16".  Alexandre is recommending I use a better headset.

I have the Koss UR30... is it better?