Gold In Outback West Australia

This guy came prepared, a well done video, can't believe he set up a pool to catch rainwater, thanks for the link. 

• Like 1

For those that dont know....this guy and Brother have been pro prospectors in WA since the mid 80's when they left New Orleans on a whim and a prayer. One Brother is now concentrating on Lease pegging/sales/speculation because he has a family to support, but this one has stuck to patch hunting and near-surface reef mining. Lets just say they have become 'Legendary' 😉

• Like 4

I like the last paragraph in the link above.

"Today the goldfields need fresh blood. All you need is a reliable detector, a reasonable vehicle and patience, patience, patience. Once you read about the boom, it’s too late. But it can never be too early if you’ve got very little to lose for starters. So, if you’re broke, depressed, have had a gutful of being a citizen or all of the above – have you tried being a prospector?" 

I have been to most of those location and got a few bit from all of them except the " Goanna Patch"and "Lake Darlota" they have massive graded areas and in some a lot of junk in the wind rows. "Those were the days." A mate K.S. got a lot of gold too one of his finds he brought a block of flats and a house. He made the papers were he had left it in the back of his Ute with his dog standing guard. They said he hade found a good reef specimen, that was the source for the flats and house. This was in the Leonora Area WA. but I saw a film (can't remember the name of it) but they used the story but said it was in NSW. "Those were the days." 

🧙‍♂️   If only we had the magic.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Gold In Outback West Australia

I knew a few similar people Geof.... I told a bloke whos Wife left him to go to WA and start fresh. He'd already had some experience detecting (not much, maybe 50 bits of gold to his name) but he sold the house (the Ex Wife got half) and he bought a good 4x4, a new Garrett A2B Groundhog, some camping gear and told him to see Cal Mason at Redcastle and camp with him for a few weeks to learn the basics of WA. Saw him 3 years later (1989 I think) in Kalgoorlie.... a new house (with new woman attached), new car, 3x mining leases and a million bucks in the bank. This guy Graham went from zero to hero in 18 months. Slept on the ground, ate from a can and did 12-18 hour days chasing new patches. I can think of another dozen guys who were 1,000oz heros during the 80's. Bob Sargeant, Terry Mervin, Dan Callaghan, Colin Hamill, Pommy Dave from Leonora.....plus many more. All passed away now....If only a career and women didn't get in the way, I coulda joined em lol.

• Like 8