Nox 800 Vs Orx Vs Legend For Nugget Hunting

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Another newly released detector with its 11” coil was not doing very well on .07 gram shotgun pellets in a TNSS video……… or in one of Andy’s videos. 

That is one of the reasons I did a quick .05 gram test with the Legend’s 11” coil. It hit that test nugget easily just like it passed Steve’s medium tungsten point Bic pen test. 

How deep was said nugget?

1 hour ago, oldcoinhunter said:

How deep was said nugget?

Deus 2, target was basically touching the coil in those two videos. Legend was air tested. That’s all I had time for. 1.5”.  Same distance for Bic pen test using default Gold field.

ORX is an excellent gold prospecting detector for smaller gold. I really like it’s ergonomics, frequencies and coil choices.

I like the discrimination choices,  single digit notching, audio and the simultaneous multi frequency hot ground handling of the Equinox and so far the Legend more than the ORX.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldcoinhunter said:

Already have the orx and the 6000. Thinking about selling the orx and getting the Legend if it is as good as the orx and 800 on small gold nuggets. Hopefully someone will post a live comparison hunt. Jim

The Orx gold modes are very close to threshold based all metal and depending on the HF coil used, the available selectable frequencies are amazing.

The simultaneous multi frequency Equinox 800 and Legend (I only have the 11" coil for the Legend) using their Gold prospecting modes are very similar in the testing I have done so far. I haven't had a chance to compare them in single frequency 40 kHz yet. Until the Legend has a 10X5 elliptical coil available, I can't really give it a full test comparison to the Equinox 800.

• Like 4

I think it's more use the right tool for the task at hand and for what Steve's using his detector for the GPX 6000 is the most suitable tool, there are times a VLF will run circles around the GPX 6000 and GPZ when looking for tiny gold in bedrock for example although that's more done for the fun of it than actually finding anything of value.  What about if the gold is in a creek and you need to submerge the detector? Again the territory of a VLF when compared to the high end Minelabs with exception of the SDC 2300 if it's in your toolbox.   For general prospecting for slightly larger size nuggets in ground that their coils are suitable for it makes little sense to use a VLF unless the area is very trashy and you would benefit from the discrimination capabilities. 

The prospecting capable 40+ kHz VLF's are all so close in performance any will do the trick, it really comes down to coil more often than not, which has the most suitable coil for what you're using it for.

I'd like to know how well the Legend performs on gold, but having so many different prospecting VLF's the fact is I already know without even using it, although the Deus 2 surprised me, and not in a good way.

The performance lines between the GPX/GPZ and VLF's on very small gold are rapidly being eroded though compared to older models of PI, it'll be interesting once the small coils are out for the 6000.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1