Sd 2200 Value

22 hours ago, Swegin said:

I think you did pretty well assuming the two SD's work.

Swegin, both machines come to life with both batteries (charged them both) and thats about all I can tell for now with 2' of snow in my back yard & stuck in town.

Rvpopeye, you asked for it!

Lets start with both of these machines are the SD2100 v2.  Is the v2 different from the standard 2100 or were they all v2s?

I see aftermarket Gold Screamer LI battery kits but the listed voltage is 8v at full charge while the batteries that came with the machines are 6v.  Issues?

As I watch for additional coils, what model detectors use the same coil?

Both machines have 11" round coils simply labled "GP Series".  As I understand these are DD coils?  I understand the DDs handle extreme mineralzation batter but the monos go deeper?  

This thread on another forum maybe of interest to you.

It seems people were modding the detector by running higher than 6v batteries on it to get the best out of it and smooth out the threshold.  They also all seemed to prefer DD's on it as mono's were too noisy.  8v seems pretty high to be running the batteries at, 7.3 volt seemed to be the preferred aftermarket mod.  Going too high can stress the electronics and cause premature failure although batteries of that age I doubt will be 8v now, as soon as there is load on them the voltage will likely drop significantly.

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t1160-best-allround-coil-for-sd2200v2

• Like 1

Vance

The only modern machine I have any experience on is the Nox800 , I never used a SD2100 or the V2 but you have made me curious.

I've been looking for comparisons and I have found quite a few . One in the link Swegin posted by Doc in 2009 in rob's detectors forum seemed informative on this. 

I quoted him here. 

Let not your heart be troubled!

Absolutely the same electronics with a new Blue cover instead of the old green one. The other advantage is that rather than having to tune the OLD GREEN machine with a screwdriver, that's right, you have to use a little screwdriver to adjust the tuning screw that is inside the plate, and you get to do the same thing with the tone control with the old Green machine. With the V2 you actually have knobs to perform those functions.

No one knows something you don't! Except me maybe, and a few other people who have a long history with Minelab. On the off chance you would get a used GREEN SD2100 machine you might be unlucky enough to get one of a select group of old SD2100 GREEN machines that had the electronics board painted in a black resin, instead of Minelab's standard white resin. Now the effect of this unfortunate situation was that only the coils sold with that machine worked with it. Any other coil that was not tuned to that specific boards anomaly, would not ground balance. And that meant basically, NO OTHER COIL worked properly.

Apparently, this black resin had some kind of metallic compound in it, that jacked up the entire electronics of the board. When Minelab foud out about what this new coating they were using was doing they recalled those machines but there are still some out there. According to the serial number range about 2000 made it to the market. I have ran into two of them, when customers bought Minelab 18 inch coils and could not get then to ground balance. Sure enough, a check of the serial number and a peak inside revealed the dreaded black board of death.

Bottom line is, get a new SD2100 V2, this is every bit the awesome machine the GREEN one was, and because of the knobs and no screw driver, much more convenient. You can buy it with complete confidence, and if you get it from Rob you can rest assured he will be there to give you the great customer service he is known for after the sale.

BCOT!

Doc "

• Like 1

Those old PIs are still gold killers. I was inspired by all of Lanny’s old tales where he was using a 2000 or 2100?… and I bought a 2200d under all the excitement and hope spelled out in his stories. Worked out great for me and I started finding nuggets immediately in an area I was originally hunting with a Tesoro Lobo. If there’s gold to be found, any upgrade will improve your odds, ie. vlf->PI

IMO you made a great buy. Also, as far as the battery. I got rid of those brick batteries right away and went to Doc’s Gold Screamer with the 7.2v batteries. At a full charge the batteries will read at 8v+ and end up draining down to the stated rating. My 2200 ran great with them.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 5:55 AM, nebulanoodle said:

Those old PIs are still gold killers. I was inspired by all of Lanny’s old tales where he was using a 2000 or 2100?… and I bought a 2200d under all the excitement and hope spelled out in his stories. Worked out great for me and I started finding nuggets immediately in an area I was originally hunting with a Tesoro Lobo. If there’s gold to be found, any upgrade will improve your odds, ie. vlf->PI

IMO you made a great buy. Also, as far as the battery. I got rid of those brick batteries right away and went to Doc’s Gold Screamer with the 7.2v batteries. At a full charge the batteries will read at 8v+ and end up draining down to the stated rating. My 2200 ran great with them.

Thanks for your input & encouragement!  I ordered the Gold Screamer kit last week & an keeping my eyes open for an 8" momo coil.  Looking forward to the snow going away around here so I can get out & play with it!

• Like 1