Beach Cleaning Robot In Brevard County Florida

Brevard county extends from Canaveral National Sea Shore to Sebastian...which includes Cocoa Beach. On top of the ongoing re-nourishment projects, this is all we beach hunters need to further "help us out." Fortunately, they only have one of these robots...so far...and it can only clean a relatively small area. But more are coming I'm sure.

https://www.wesh.com/article/beach-cleanup-robot/39578241

• Like 3

Most counties don't have the staff to operate something like this. Maybe a good venture to purchase several and contract them out and keep all the goods? Make money off the business and also get the loot.

• Haha 3

Actually it sounds like it will help detectorists. It only goes down about 2", so the aluminum foil, pull tabs and other light junk will be removed. I'm assuming coins and jewelry will sink further than that? Thoughts?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Actually it sounds like it will help detectorists. It only goes down about 2", so the aluminum foil, pull tabs and other light junk will be removed. I'm assuming coins and jewelry will sink further than that? Thoughts?

I think you may be right…hope so anyway.  Having said that, I have found some pretty nice recent drops in that 2 inch area.  I’m sure they too will find some keepers as they clean out the trash.  
Given how small of an area the robot can handle and how slow it goes, I don’t think they’ll be able to afford and employ the numbers they would need to cover our large beaches.  Can you say “boondoggle” 😅

• Like 2

How much do those robots cost? Thinking if you can't beat them then join them!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

How about a robot with a hidden coil underneath?

But seriously, if they want to clean the beaches just give every detectorist a trashbag and the beaches will be spotless.

I always carry a trash bag when I detect. It's not something I enjoy doing, but it promotes good will and I never get a complaint or frown when people see me pick up a piece of trash. In fact it changes some of their minds towards detectorists and I've had people come up to me and thank me for helping to keep a park or beach clean.

• Like 8

When it alludes to "small plastic articles" (that it aims to pick up), I was initially skeptical.   Thinking that they meant plastic bottles , etc....   But was surprised that the video does indeed show coin/ring sized objects.   Eg.: cigarette butts, etc...

Because with all the decades of beach cleaner machines that are already being made, they are only for bigger items.  Eg.:  McDonalds bags, cans/bottles, etc....   There is a singular particular mechanical beach cleaner machine, with sifter screens that can be adjusted small enough to snare down to coin-sized items . At the operator's settings in the cab.  But to do so means they cover much less space in a day.  Because it slows down the machine much more, puts a big drag on the engine, etc...   So even the rare cities with those machines rarely put it in that setting/mode.

The reason why today's beach cleaner machines don't pick up coin-sized items, is that it would mean that the machine starts picking up pebbles, leaves, seashells, matted clumps of sand, etc......   Stuff they DON'T need to pick up.    Therefore the beach cleaner machines are never a threat to our hobby.

But I see that this one, in your link boasts ability to get down to "micro" trash.   I don't see how any municipality anywhere is ever going to adopt this.   Because there is just so-much-more bigger fish to fry on the beach, than "micro-plastics".   And the time/energy/cost to go after "micro" just doesn't seem to be high on any city's financial radar right now.  

Interesting link though !

• Like 4

I'm sure it puts all the coins and gold back... 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/30/2022 at 1:35 PM, Tom_in_CA said:

When it alludes to "small plastic articles" (that it aims to pick up), I was initially skeptical.   Thinking that they meant plastic bottles , etc....   But was surprised that the video does indeed show coin/ring sized objects.   Eg.: cigarette butts, etc...

Because with all the decades of beach cleaner machines that are already being made, they are only for bigger items.  Eg.:  McDonalds bags, cans/bottles, etc....   There is a singular particular mechanical beach cleaner machine, with sifter screens that can be adjusted small enough to snare down to coin-sized items . At the operator's settings in the cab.  But to do so means they cover much less space in a day.  Because it slows down the machine much more, puts a big drag on the engine, etc...   So even the rare cities with those machines rarely put it in that setting/mode.

The reason why today's beach cleaner machines don't pick up coin-sized items, is that it would mean that the machine starts picking up pebbles, leaves, seashells, matted clumps of sand, etc......   Stuff they DON'T need to pick up.    Therefore the beach cleaner machines are never a threat to our hobby.

But I see that this one, in your link boasts ability to get down to "micro" trash.   I don't see how any municipality anywhere is ever going to adopt this.   Because there is just so-much-more bigger fish to fry on the beach, than "micro-plastics".   And the time/energy/cost to go after "micro" just doesn't seem to be high on any city's financial radar right now.  

Interesting link though !

Good write up Tom, brings to light a lot of things I didn't know about how the (Sand Scratchers) work.