I Just Want To Say - From Scotland

Ian g

Hi everyone.

my name is Ian and I’m from Scotland.I have recently took an interest in gold panning on my local burns,well I say local but they are an hour away.

I have some equipment to get me started,but mostly crevice tools.The burns of the area I have interest in have been well panned and sluiced,but mainly the deeper pools.

Greed gets the better of folk and they leave big piles of gravel high up on the bank,which is so unnecessary considering There are fish and invertebrates the fish eat,just plain lazy.

i have joined this forum to hopefully gain some knowledge and correspondence with like minded folk.

ian.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Ian. There are a lot of people doing what you want to do. Hopefully someone will chime in. In the meantime read some of the post and get familiar with the forum categories.

Thanks for the replies SchoolofhardNox and rvpopeye.I’m looking forward to familiarising myself with the forum and it’s members.I hope the weather in the northeast USA and south coast of main is more settled than the central belt of Scotland.We have went from basking in 23 degrees sunshine to -4 and snow haha,Scottish weather is so unpredictable.

Fishing was my first love and I still fish today,mainly for trout,but I can’t believe how addictive panning for gold is and that’s before I even find any ha!

Tyndrum,pronounced tin-drum,Leadhills,connonish and wanlockhead pronounced won-lock-head are the popular places for gold panning in Scotland,so naturally I want to avoid those places,though I’m sure there will be streams that will still be untouched in these places.

Ive found a ton of pyrite which is easy to recognise as NOT gold,but no one told me about what I call “gold doppelgänger”

Ive found this stuff three times now and three times I thought I had gold.This stuff shines like gold and is shaped like little gold nuggets.I last found this stuff yesterday and when I showed my friend he was also convinced it was gold,it was even the last thing left in the pan,but when I picked it up and rubbed it between my fingers it disintegrated to silt haha,I was gutted.

so my quest continues and with every session I don’t find it,the more determined I become.After all it did take me a few years to catch my first fish.Looking for gold is much the same as fishing,different adventure,same fever😂😂.

pleased to “meet” you folks

cheerio the noo

The gold probably is mostly where everybody is prospecting.

All of the gold is never found.

You still have a shot there,,good luck to ya !

My weather be much the same on the south coast of Maine. The good stuff is coming soon ! As we Mainah's say SUMMAH , OH AYUH !

• The title was changed to I Just Want To Say - From Scotland