Just Had To Have It!

I found a lot of old coins with that detector. I love the sounds of it. It's famous for the Sovereign wiggle. I like that it can be hip mounted.

I put mine in a small backpack and hunted in the water too.

There is nothing like a Sovereign. It's not good at separation but it still an incredible detector.

There is one for sale near me currently, it has a stuffed battery by the sounds of it, not sure if I should bother with it or not.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/antiques-collectables/tools/listing/3535931770?bof=qmRVX12D

The price is alright, $30, so that'd be about 24 USD I would guess.

soverign1.thumb.jpg.de7339480b733f9eaee4a09728e76a8a.jpg

soverign2.thumb.jpg.43009463479a984dad0d3d2fc90560bd.jpg

Would you think it'd be worth me getting?

• Like 2

I was at a beach last year and this guy was out there with a Sovereign. He had  the biggest coil I've ever seen.

He showed me a gold ring he dug out of a hole 3 feet across, and about 24" deep. I was watching him dig for a bit.

I didn't feel too bad I didn't get that ring. 😀

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:16 AM, George Kinsey said:

Sentimental but still one of my favorites. BBS Technology. Killer for gold rings on the beach and Civil War buckles and plates. Says no to large iron. I never left home without it in the early 90's. Just got it off flea bay. Nice!

s-l1600.jpg

George,

I just saw this post and you scored!  The XS was my very first ML machine.  Mine was just like yours except mine had the Minelab meter.   Wish I'd never sold it.  I've been looking for one myself but the XS is hard to find.  I hope you hunt with yours and post a find or two.

Bill

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

George,

I just saw this post and you scored!  The XS was my very first ML machine.  Mine was just like yours except mine had the Minelab meter.   Wish I'd never sold it.  I've been looking for one myself but the XS is hard to find.  I hope you hunt with yours and post a find or two.

Bill

I do at the beach while on vacation. The XS can really drain the battery pack. On land I hunt mostly iron infested colonial permissions now. Not a good choice for that. But I cleaned out quite a few old Delaware  schools with the Sovereign. BBS was a Bonafide game changer.

• Like 1

A brand new never used Minelab Quattro FBS has popped up for sale in NZ.

Imagine that, a 14 year old detector, never used

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/business-farming-industry/industrial/electrical-equipment/gauges-meters/listing/3585346977?bof=zX9L8oFH

Interestingly included in the advertisement is the distributor for Minelab at the time's invoice selling it to the retail store so perhaps the retail store never sold it and it got put in a cupboard out the back or something for 14 years and it just got forgotten, it's a shame they're not collectable as this one would be gold. 🙂

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

...It's a shame they're not collectable as this one would be gold.

I don't read much about this model compared to some of the other FBS models.  Did it have an irreparable flaw / unpopular features or just get replaced quickly by another, better unit?

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't read much about this model compared to some of the other FBS models.  Did it have an irreparable flaw / unpopular features or just get replaced quickly by another, better unit?

Not Sure, well before my time but yea, you don't hear about it.

I had a nice XS2 with mods, it was great at the beach.  I'd hunt in AM mode and do the reverse disc mode to check, it was deeeep.

• Like 2