Deus 2 Big Potential, $1600 Price Tag Shouldn't Come With Situational Failure To Function!?

Hey fellas,

Laugh,poke,snarl,all takes welcome, i think serious questions must be asked and understood imho. My experience to this post 4hrs hunting/similar testing. I did find 6-10 non ferrous items in a very nail polluted site,small site that I've used atpro/multi kruzer/equinox 800 on tens of hours to long (no non ferrous in a long time) until d2. That's a big $1600 I'm ok with. In my small town I can crank gain to 100 in gen,relic,fast (all I've used) and it's super quite running feet from nox also. I'm certain when I figure the unit out I will love it and my finds in trash will go up as I told it above I've already seen it! 

My issues I need more understanding of may or may not be issues of others. When testing 7,8 inch dime and 3 ringer (I think 8" but for complete honesty maybe it was 7".) In stock settings the sound was so faint I could easily see myself or others not realizing that whisper was a hit!? Coming from nox and testing nox on same targets its loud/clear and I'm used to the tone so it's way different. I was worried about the loosing nuance turning up audio output so did not change from stock settings.

My observations are changing reactivity from 3 to 2 gains significant depth and so on with each move as in alot bigger difference from changing it on the nox(folks coming over with no deus experience take note). Changing audio output from 4 to 5 and 6 in my testing today made 9"quarter go from a sound easily passed up to loud and clear which is to me pretty big also everyone should know just how big of a difference it seems to make. More on that even to 6 it didnt seem to greatly affect the depth nuance as I was initially worried about atleast not relative to difference in tonal hit. My initial observation is the audio notched up 1 or 2 gains 1-3 in depth (not gain but makes you hear it when you could otherwise not or think the whisper is emi/ground!?) This is a very big thing to me, if what I think happened actually happened its huge and everyone should know. To a lesser degree the difference in reactivity coming from a 8 digit scale (nox) to 5 the deus2 is very different to me anyway. I've never noticed a big difference in reactivity changes affecting the nox like d2 when a 3 getting a faint passable hit to 2.5,2 smacking it hard.

The $1600 price tag should rule out what happened today and seems to be affecting many more people!? I initially wrote this complaint off to just bias but found out that can vary greatly. At home very quiet smooth operation but fast forward to 7hr drive south to mid georgia testing at hotel emi was unfixable and terrible! Checked every freq,freq scan many times none of this helped the slightest and btw I tried greatly to find a excuse or legit reason to help swallow this huge issue for $1600 could not come up with anything. Although I could hear a 9" quarter every few sweeps the emi would cover or crackle the hit up and make it very likely one would miss good signals! It was as bad as equinox first fired up high gain no noise cancel held out in air! Couldn't be helped in any way besides gain on 80 and then it was just quieter from decibel not issue better. This issue,silent emi, I havent seen, but fo me very big things considering they cause the unit to fail at the very thing it's not supposed to fail on DETECTING METAL!?  Many things or opinions on how important these few things are and I'm certain many will try rationalizing to the point of dismissal. These things can't be dismissed on a $1600 unit!!??  Although I'm lukewarm on it atm I do see myself being in love(heavily biased) if theses seemingly small but with logical thought(if silent emi and loud ass emi are causing non hits/crackled out audio=non hits) they not only can't be dismissed they are plain dissapointment for a purchase this big!?  Imagine buying a arsenal sam7k-44 krink and it only going bang most of the time!? We wouldn't except it so it's kinda same.  Once more the audio,reactivity not issues but greatly affect signal much more than anything I've used or to my experience it seems!? Like myself any fellas not on the deus commanding officer list this observation especially the audio output can be the difference of hating this rackety unit and loving/excepting performance to price point!? I know I should have paid more attention in english years back but I didn't,I ramble,I run on,I structure poorly please look over and hope you all can get the jist of it and leave feedback. Even if its hateback bring it on in and don't hold back,I'm just attempting to understand this thing to the point of comfort so I can confidently beep things!  Easily dismissed but huge difference in faintest squeak to unmissable hard smacking squak imo(cant be undersold if were actually here to help one another)?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, deathray said:

I'm having a hard time following this man. Yes, reactivity affects depth greatly.

I'm not surprised! And thanks for letting me know! From 3 to 2 grestly affects depth! Your amazing

Question is do you think the average guy buying d2 because they want latest,greatest unit knows from 3 to 2 could gain 1-2+ inches!? More importantly audio output has a greater affect! No way the average dude knows this and it will help them alot

4 minutes ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

I'm not surprised! And thanks for letting me know! From 3 to 2 grestly affects depth! Your amazing

Question is do you think the average guy buying d2 because they want latest,greatest unit knows from 3 to 2 could gain 1-2+ inches!? More importantly audio output has a greater affect! No way the average dude knows this and it will help them alot

Just to be clear,everyone knows recovery speed affects depth. Coming from a equinox for comparison I've never noticed big differences say going from 6 to 4 still hits the same or atleast I havent seen big jumps. From testing it seems to me d2 has adjustments that can greatly affect the machine compared to any machine I have experienced!?

• Like 2

So in my style of detecting, if I got a machine that I could get more depth/cleaner signal just by increasing a setting by 1 number, I would be jumping for joy. Especially if I had an extra 3 settings higher than that.  I much rather have a machine that I can maximize and get extreme depth than to have a machine that makes me think I get a lot of depth difference by raising the setting by 5 numbers. As an example.....why have a setting that goes from 1-10 if all you get is 1" total extra depth. Honestly I think it makes people learn their machines or they can be satisfied digging 6" deep targets. I think most Deus users will adapt very quickly, those that are not previous Deus users, can learn the machine. It's not fair to make it sound like Deus (or anyone else) is not doing a good job of designing their machine because a new user can't figure it out. Just my opinion on it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

So in my style of detecting, if I got a machine that I could get more depth/cleaner signal just by increasing a setting by 1 number, I would be jumping for joy. Especially if I had an extra 3 settings higher than that.  I much rather have a machine that I can maximize and get extreme depth than to have a machine that makes me think I get a lot of depth difference by raising the setting by 5 numbers. As an example.....why have a setting that goes from 1-10 if all you get is 1" total extra depth. Honestly I think it makes people learn their machines or they can be satisfied digging 6" deep targets. I think most Deus users will adapt very quickly, those that are not previous Deus users, can learn the machine. It's not fair to make it sound like Deus (or anyone else) is not doing a good job of designing their machine because a new user can't figure it out. Just my opinion on it.

I'm not certain I had a complaint other than emi/silent emi! It's a huge gain of function and performance with small adjustments! My goal was to make sure others knew this! To be clear. I experienced emi in a field next to my hotel that no freq adjusting,factory program besides mono,gain down as low as 80 and still going berserk! Was the complaint for $1600 I feel this shouldn't be so!? I'm not selling just cant detect the field beside my hotel and $1600 to NOT be able to use this anywhere is disappointing! 

1 minute ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

I'm not certain I had a complaint other than emi/silent emi! It's a huge gain of function and performance with small adjustments! My goal was to make sure others knew this! To be clear. I experienced emi in a field next to my hotel that no freq adjusting,factory program besides mono,gain down as low as 80 and still going berserk! Was the complaint for $1600 I feel this shouldn't be so!? I'm not selling just cant detect the field beside my hotel and $1600 to NOT be able to use this anywhere is disappointing! 

Just to be clear, sorry if I rambled on muddying the message! My observations were these adjustments reactivity and audio response were just they make huge differences! Complaint is I 100% have a situation that I tried all options unless theres one more than freq shift,program shift,lowering gain,ground balance to stop unhuntable emi and nothing helped on some sweeps could not hit target I was testing!? 

I've recently come from an entry level machine (Vanquish 540) to the Deus 2. I fully expected there to be a very steep learning curve, and didn't expect to have every optimization served up on a platter. I sought out relevant tutorials and write-ups, and I feel the concepts you're talking about were adequately covered.

I do agree with you on EMI being a major issue. I detect in a suburban setting, so I'm never very far away from a powerline or a wifi router. At times the EMI makes the machine unusable. Even using the mono frequency modes doesn't help much. Curiously, the Park mode isn't affected at all. But I feel that mode is so heavily filtered, I might be walking over good finds. It would be great if XP could provide strategies to mitigate EMI that don't reduce performance too much. 

19 minutes ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

Most of us have complaints for EMI. We spend thousands on a machine and there are just some places it can't work. Heavy EMI areas will affect every detector either by making it unusable (going crazy) or by falsely leading us to believe the machine is purring silently when in fact all they did was silence the EMI response. I had a problem on my Minelab detecting a beach that has a train running right on the beach (20 feet from it). EMI was crazy when they charged the lines for the train to pass. Nothing could be done about it as some machines went crazy while the other machines I have, just silenced the EMI but cut depth by at least 50% in some cases. My solution was a Coiltek anti-interference coil. Didn't think it worked at first but it did, very well in fact. So maybe an E mail to Deus asking if they ever considered making or having a 3rd party make an anti-interference coil for their machines. If my 5000 can run wide open on this beach with that coil, I'm sure there would be a way for Deus to make that kind of coil. I hope you get your situation worked out.

• Like 3

I'm sure it will get worked out and where I live it's not a problem. Also swiftsword, I expected it to be more learning I am not bothered or hindered by it. I was cruising from go,I dont have any worries other than emi nor am I stuck in figuring it out! I was just stating that small bumps in settings have great affect. This is for anyone who is doing test and possibly not getting results they expected! Initially I wasnt getting depth it wasnt reactivity,audio response was the biggest factor imo. All this said besides the emi issue this was for the folks who may not realize the effect of those 2 settings and for the guys with knowledge I can learn from yo confirm/deny give tips!?  Again sorry the original post is so all over I'll do better in the future with slowing down and structuring. I may not have excepted writing in school and dont put much care into writing which is a mistake. I'm much smarter than the writing suggest although I understand the assumption.i have an 130ish i.q. allday and year just never apply it to writing,I see how this is a problem.