Any News On Fisher Waterproof AQ

Thanks for the photos, these are the guys I've got my hopes pinned on for an Impulse Gold.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, bklein said:

I think for me it is my favorite machine to use but in some locations not always the best machine to use.

Love the photos.

Same here, some places nothing can come close. Over time you learn which to and which not to. 

Picture of early on, I would loved to seen the one with the clear faceplate.

aq (2).jpg

• Like 3

I have mixed feelings on this detector now! Having not owned one due to the restrictive release, among other things, i trust Joe Beechnut OBN's opinion, as he is probably the best example of how well it can work! (not problem free, of course) On the other hand, Steve H's opinion as to poor construction, and sketchy operation is equally as valid!

So knowing both of these as basically "the facts" now, how is it that the problems/issues found with extensive use by enough avid user's hasn't been fixed, or at least announced in some kind of regular press release, forum post, or Freudian slip, by those involved in it's design and construction!

Granted, there seems to be a "fine tolerance line" for no information/updates; (ML)! And too much information/updates;(NM)! We are apparently a fickle bunch!🤪 But the designers of the AQ Ltd are some heavy hitters, and should have had no problem fixing the "found" issues with the AQ, and at least let some information out, as to it's status!

Maybe I'm the one missing something somewhere, as I can't keep up with them all!!  But, from the start of it, thought that they were approaching it's release in a novel way, and were well on their way to a great water machine; and others! 🤞

But, "The best-laid plans"..... we all know the rest!👍👍

The problem is the detector needs to be financially viable, you don't keep throwing money at something that isn't going to sell well.  I'm certain they could fix all of the problems and bring a great detector to market, but First Texas must be concerned if they will sell enough to even cover costs.  Do they keep throwing money at it hoping it will succeed or do they abandon the project and cut their losses?  The Impulse Gold can still come out in the future as a side effect of the design and in many ways should have been the focus from the start.  A much larger customer base and an easier detector to manufacture not needing any waterproofing at all. 

I think they did it the wrong way around, if the Impulse Gold came out and was successful it'd be easier to release the AQ later on and justify its higher price being waterproof.

When the AQ beta came out and Rick was flogging it off it was said to be at a heavily discounted price as much as half price as it was a special version prior to the official release but with full functionality.    You were privileged to be able to buy one and even then they struggled to sell, doesn't bode well for official final product sales figures, especially after the fiasco and the higher price the final product would be listed to sell for.

I came so close to buying one but Rick and I decided that it'd end up too difficult to repair it if it failed and he wasn't confident I wouldn't have any issues so he did the right thing by me, it wasn't just about making a buck.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

The Impulse Gold can still come out in the future as a side effect of the design and in many ways should have been the focus from the start.  A much larger customer base and an easier detector to manufacture not needing any waterproofing at all. 

Simon,

I think you are right on the money with that statement! MineLab obviously figured out a long time ago, that gold detectors are where the money is! So who knows why FT went the way they did! 

At least we have Garrett👍, who is well aware of where their money is to be made! So one US detector company ain't bad; i guess!!😞

I’m just not sure what you guys are complaining about. The AQ is a beach machine. Maybe I was just one of the lucky ones or I just took the time to learn the machine. I live in a pirate rich environment and normally don’t show my finds. Granted it is entering peak season here, but this is my finds so far this week with the AQ. I did dig a half dozen new bottle caps and two tent stakes that fooled me. I leave that stuff in the beach garbage cans. I hope my friend in Md. will not share this with my number one competitor. I would not change a thing since I have two of Joes batteries.

216C680B-3445-4D2A-B08F-094794DADA46.jpeg

• Like 4

It is a killer on the stud earrings to. As you show, it finds chains that the Excal would never see. My bane is how it lights up aluminum pop rivets that have separated from beach gear.

2 hours ago, tvr said:

It is a killer on the stud earrings to. As you show, it finds chains that the Excal would never see. My bane is how it lights up aluminum pop rivets that have separated from beach gear.

My D2 which is a deep machine will not however hit the top chain. Beach sens. Sens. 95, salt 9, silencer 1, reactivity 0, .5 or 1. 2 tone square. Disc. 6.0. I have not experienced those rivets but do have quite a few ear ring backs with the AQ. I am though, primarily a water hunter or wet sand and wash. Fresh drop season the AQ is my go to machine.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, phrunt said:

The Impulse Gold can still come out in the future as a side effect of the design and in many ways should have been the focus from the start.  A much larger customer base and an easier detector to manufacture not needing any waterproofing at all. 

That's kind of what was saying since the beginning, but it didn't need to be a gold detector.

A simple non-waterproof beach machine would have lowered the cost dramatically, avoiding a lot of problems while selling more units. Aiming the first prototype at water hunters was a mistake.