Any News On Fisher Waterproof AQ

Any thoughts?

Yes, actually. See the missing suite of components ... four 'large' electrolytic caps, a three-pin device ( switching FET, usually ) and a large damping resistor, and the silk-screen legend 'Coil2'. Enough bits to drive a second coil winding. Those who have followed Alex's design from the early days will know how he had plans for some 'twin-coil' arrangement, that apparently could largely cancel the ground/salt signal. He posted up some 'sketches' over on Geotech1 forum, but no-one could make out what he was describing.

https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?23177-Manta-Metal-Detector

The other obvious stand-out is the thermal management. I think if they had made the case a bit larger, they would've given themselves an easier time when it comes to heat-dissipation issues.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PimentoUK said:

Those who have followed Alex's design from the early days will know how he had plans for some 'twin-coil' arrangement, that apparently could largely cancel the ground/salt signal.

Yep, the missing components were for a bipolar version. Alexandre was convinced that this was the best approach but I convinced him to consider an H-bridge drive which is what he is now playing with. There is a way to use a twin-coil drive to cancel salt but I don't think that was his intent. Rather, it naturally cancels EFE and allows you to run a higher pulse rate.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 8:37 PM, Tony said:

To Fisher engineers……please put the brain in a good body 👍

20 hours ago, Carolina said:

Relatively the same body with exceptions of an extra Souriau connector in back for headphones.

Oh, I thought Tony was talking about the Fisher engineers, not the detector. :laugh:

Hey, just trying to lighten up the angst in the room a little...

(BTW - Just kidding Carl!  Learned so much from your posts, site, and book.  I am embarrassed you had to teach me transformer theory and Faraday's Law all over again just to get me the right mental model on how detectors work - but that's what happens when you stop doing engineering and instead manage programs and people).

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Geotech said:

Yep, the missing components were for a bipolar version. Alexandre was convinced that this was the best approach but I convinced him to consider an H-bridge drive which is what he is now playing with. There is a way to use a twin-coil drive to cancel salt but I don't think that was his intent. Rather, it naturally cancels EFE and allows you to run a higher pulse rate.

I think Eric Foster discussed this at length on geotech aways  back but I may be wrong. Another thing that puzzled me with the AQ limited coil cable was why the red Vandamme had (2) mini coax’s. Turns out this cable could be used for the bipolar version.

On 7/27/2022 at 3:26 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

This is interesting, I'm not sure where this came from but for sure a AQ board. Any thought's?

Looks like one of the PCB's from a machine used by Alexandre or LE Jag, (Denis)

295458686_1731061993918792_1705728577680174987_n.jpg

The picture answered the question. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 4:49 AM, Badger-NH said:

There's not much Alexandre can do besides try to sell the idea to detector companies. My gut feeling is that FT is done with the AQ. Innovation doesn't seem to be their thing. We haven't seen anything new from FT since they got into selling detectors except for a re-packaging of what already existed.

That is what Tesoro did before they went under, repackage Jack Giffords (Dad's) technology.

FT has other irons in the fire so I don't think they'll sink as fast.

Walt