Spearhead (red Sandstone) With Gold Inside?

Anyone ever seen this before?

I used a very strong magnet and picked up no attraction so rules out iron pyrite. Did a volumetric displacement test and ran some calculations and getting 9.09 grams of gold contained within the specimen.

Love to see what others think.

ADE3BB4D-5A7D-4ED7-ADFB-B0945D7E05DB.jpeg

352230F8-B72A-4FD3-90D7-7C3DCCD0BA72.jpeg

6AD19657-C681-4F0E-979E-47275D9C0206.jpeg

72E03D7E-C48F-481E-8FD4-F5D098F38B03.jpeg

888C4FEC-0EA2-4BD9-B82E-9A23E9247EE9.jpeg

144D5CF1-85FC-482F-B04A-9C99810AA310.jpeg

5540086F-5AB6-44F6-A156-E466CF738D8E.jpeg

EEF96F7A-683F-47F3-B507-4690B29CC846.jpeg

BF9830BC-B870-479E-89DB-F83C3080D839.jpeg

6EA320EE-C876-4FB9-A691-684C5E8E0A5E.jpeg

FCFFDD34-4854-46F7-8742-72DBE185F424.jpeg

A2F99D0D-27FD-44FD-A91B-CFDCE5B76681.jpeg

AE7C8CE3-94F9-434A-8E69-C22BCC00253E.jpeg

E1709866-C74F-4728-9E5E-CFF065666642.jpeg

• Like 8

I think it's quite a quandary. On one hand, if the gold is real, you could smash it up and extract it. On the other, it's an ancient relic, and an awesome one at that. Yikes 🤯

Good luck! The third option is to verify everything and sell it to a collector or museum. 🙂 Great photos.

• Like 2

Check with a local university or try to pick Chris Ralphs brains for more info is my suggestion.

Nice to have it as is no matter what.

• Like 2

What part of the country did you find it in?

It is very nice looking and I would bet that it is going to be a rare find for sure.

• Like 2

I hate to throw cold water on that lovely spearpoint. However, from your photos, the spearhead appears to be made from reddish orange jasper/chert, not red sandstone. Also, it is possible for the jasper, chert, agate/chalcedony family of quartz to contain gold and other low temperature forming metals from hydrothermal deposition. I just am not convinced that I am seeing any gold in your spearhead from the photos you provided.

Is that spearpoint Native American or a reproduction?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I think it's quite a quandary. On one hand, if the gold is real, you could smash it up and extract it. On the other, it's an ancient relic, and an awesome one at that. Yikes 🤯

Good luck! The third option is to verify everything and sell it to a collector or museum. 🙂 Great photos.

No quandary here - Pulverizing is not an option for sure. Only non-destructive testing methods will be used 👍

don’t get me wrong though, when I first noticed the gold some of my first reactionary thoughts were to build a chamber so none of the gold escaped when I put the hammer to it but luckily the planning of said chamber took long enough I had time to come to my senses 😜

• Oh my! 1

15 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

What part of the country did you find it in?

It is very nice looking and I would bet that it is going to be a rare find for sure.

I actually found it in a flea market - a booth with a lot of knives and spears and also some relics and primitive weapons made of relics. There was a framed case with 31 arrowheads and this 1 spearhead. I bought the case and contents for $40. Noticed the gold when I got home. I’m in bama btw.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I hate to throw cold water on that lovely spearpoint. However, from your photos, the spearhead appears to be made from reddish orange jasper/chert, not red sandstone. Also, it is possible for the jasper, chert, agate/chalcedony family of quartz to contain gold and other low temperature forming metals from hydrothermal deposition. I just am not convinced that I am seeing any gold in your spearhead from the photos you provided.

Is that spearpoint Native American or a reproduction?

It’s authentic. See previous post where I detailed how I came about it. As far as if it’s real gold I did other non-destructive testing to determine if it’s gold. I did a vinegar test - no change in color - still gold and shiny. I’m open to performing other tests and posting results (non-destructive only). I wanna know too and be sure.

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I hate to throw cold water on that lovely spearpoint. However, from your photos, the spearhead appears to be made from reddish orange jasper/chert, not red sandstone.

You may be right, I’m pretty new to this, it feels rough like red sandstone which we do have here in the state and which is well-known to contain gold. I’m actually looking to learn more about the different materials and their properties. I’ll post up a pic later of all the arrowheads that were in that case. I’m wondering if it’s possible to find more geological goodies in arrowheads - like gem stones?

I certainly do not know, but I would not think a sedimentary rock like Sandstone could be knapped by pressure flakes. I have only ever seen igneous rocks like Chert/Flint or Obsidian used for knapping.

• Like 3