Spearhead (red Sandstone) With Gold Inside?

1 hour ago, JCR said:

I certainly do not know, but I would not think a sedimentary rock like Sandstone could be knapped by pressure flakes. I have only ever seen igneous rocks like Chert/Flint or Obsidian used for knapping.

I’m pretty sure chert is correct vs my initial red sandstone statement. Glad I came here, learning already.

• Like 1

Beautiful collection, regardless of any gold content or authenticity! The only way to tell, for your own information, is museum identification! 

Beyond that, displaying them is the real treasure! Real or reproductions, they show the same!!👍👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Beautiful collection, regardless of any gold content or authenticity! The only way to tell, for your own information, is museum identification! 

Beyond that, displaying them is the real treasure! Real or reproductions, they show the same!!👍👍

Have you ever been through the process of museum identification?

If it does turn out to be gold, here’s the calculations I used to determine the approximate gold content:

Displacement of specimen = 25.44cc or 25.44 grams of water

Dry Weight of specimen = 77.77g

Dry weight of specimen divided by volumetric displacement of specimen equals density of specimen

77.77/25.44 = Density of specimen = 3.06

Avg. Density of chert per reference guide = 2.6

3.06 > 2.6 - higher density of specimen indicates specimen contains heavy minerals - such as gold if visible indication and other non-destructive testing measures are positive.

How to calculate gold weight:

Density x Displacement Volume of specimen (chert) = weight of chert in specimen in grams (g)

2.6x25.44cc = 66.14

So a chunk of pure red chert that displaces 25.44 cc (or grams) of water should weigh 66.14 grams.

Dry weight of specimen minus weight of RS calculated for specimen = potential gold weight contained within specimen:

77.77g - 66.14g = 11.63g gold

1g gold = $61.79

Potential Gold Content Value: 11.63g x $61.79/g = $718.62

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bear said:

Flint is chert, which are sedimentary rocks

Now I learned something!

6 hours ago, JCR said:

Now I learned something!

Flint is very interesting material. There are places in Europe and the US (others probably too) where flint and chert are found within sedimentary rocks like limestone and chalk as nodules. Some are huge. There are some amazing sounding theories about how the flint/chert was once gelatinous silica which filled holes made in the limestone or chert that were originally either  cavities created by sea life like bore holes, the decomposition of actual animals that left spaces for the flint/chert to form or similar spaces caused by disintegrating plant life, sponges, etc. So flint and chert are kind of in a weird in between category (is it a rock or a mineral) since they form in sedimentary rocks but are secondary formations. As I said, some of the flint nodules in Europe are the size of a big house and have a uniform texture and a regular almost spherical or disc like shape which could indicate that there were some huge single cell living things in the oceans of the earth at one time. Other nodules have fossilized remains in them that are easily recognizable as plants/animals that we are familiar with.

• Like 4

Geology was one of the few interesting classes I took in college. Gelatinous silica invading existing sedimentary rock makes sense. 

• Like 2

If what I'm seeing is gold some of the specks seems big enough to test using a needle, gold is malleable meaning it can be hammered, pressed, easily indented and or scratched without cracking, such as one can do with a piece of lead, take a needle and try to poke a piece/speck of the "gold" if it indents and doesn't chip/crack etc. it's very possible that it's gold.

If it passes the needle test I would next take it to a jeweler or some pawn shops and have them test it with a spectrometer.

• Like 2