Spearhead (red Sandstone) With Gold Inside?

13 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

If what I'm seeing is gold some of the specks seems big enough to test using a needle, gold is malleable meaning it can be hammered, pressed, easily indented and or scratched without cracking, such as one can do with a piece of lead, take a needle and try to poke a piece/speck of the "gold" if it indents and doesn't chip/crack etc. it's very possible that it's gold.

If it passes the needle test I would next take it to a jeweler or some pawn shops and have them test it with a spectrometer.

Passes the needle test. Photo doesn’t show that but I pressed the flake in second photo proximal to the tip of point. It sunk in there and I felt some resistance, almost tackiness, like it was gummy, pulling the pick out. On the other hand when I press again anywhere else I don’t see gold I get zero penetration.

Also, I rubbed the gold in a couple spots with the pick where it just looked “yellow” to reveal a fine brand new gold shine beneath. And accidentally flaked a piece off as seen in the 3rd photo.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

And thanks to everyone for all the advice, suggestions, and useful info. I’ve initiated contact with my local university, museum and geology department. I took geology (1 course) as part of my engineering degree, I’m civil, from UAB if there are any alumni in here speak up! Lol.

but I’m waiting to hear back from those folks before anything else. If this turns out to be hugely significant and should be part of a museum collection I’ll make sure that’s where it ends up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SHB111 said:

Passes the needle test. Photo doesn’t show that but I pressed the flake in second photo proximal to the tip of point. It sunk in there and I felt some resistance, almost tackiness, like it was gummy, pulling the pick out. On the other hand when I press again anywhere else I don’t see gold I get zero penetration.

Also, I rubbed the gold in a couple spots with the pick where it just looked “yellow” to reveal a fine brand new gold shine beneath. And accidentally flaked a piece off as seen in the 3rd photo.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The little piece that fell out with the pick, take a hammer to it and see if it flattens out and expands or if it crushes into dust, if it flattens out it's malleable and very well could be gold, I think it's time to do a spectrograph analysis of the piece. 

2 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

The little piece that fell out with the pick, take a hammer to it and see if it flattens out and expands or if it crushes into dust, if it flattens out it's malleable and very well could be gold, I think it's time to do a spectrograph analysis of the piece. 

I crushed and rubbed with the blunt end of a pick. See photo results

no dust- just smeared yellow stuff

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, SHB111 said:

Now there’s gold on my cell phone screen and all over the blunt end of that pick. Feel pretty confident since it smeared it’s indeed gold.

If it were gold it would remain whole just flatten out, the fact that it crushed into pieces/dust/yellow color on the piece of paper I'm sorry to say tells me that the piece wasn't gold, gold is a metal and doesn't crush into pieces or dust at all, I guessing it could be pyrite.

That being said it doesn't mean that some of the other pieces in the stone isn't gold, gold and pyrite are many times found together.

I still think it's time to do other testing, as said spectrograph analysis would be my next step, you may be able to get it done for free at a good jeweler that has a spectrometer.

• Like 1

Those arrowheads are modern reproductions. Usually made in India and can be found on Ebay and  for sale in tourist shops. If you want other opinions check out arrowheads.com. You can post them and get replies there.

• Thanks 1