Spearhead (red Sandstone) With Gold Inside?

27 minutes ago, olddog46 said:

Those arrowheads are modern reproductions. Usually made in India and can be found on Ebay and  for sale in tourist shops. If you want other opinions check out arrowheads.com. You can post them and get replies there.

Interesting. Which ones are reproductions?

if I take a pic of 10 points - 5 I found in the field at the hunting club and 5 I picked up from a collection, can you tell me which 5 I found and which 5 I bought?

of course you took long enough to answer you could have went back to my  photos from earlier posts and played the process of elimination game…..

But giving you the benefit of the doubt:

In number 3 what is this dark spot?

image.jpg

image.jpg

SHB111,

you have been a very amiable topic starter and your enthusiasm, willingness to do testing and to listen to the those that have commented with open ears is very commendable. I concur with olddog46. The arrow and spear points look way too fresh, uniform in shape and size and are made from more "pretty" forms of agate and chalcedony than most North American authentic points found in the wild. That does not take away from their beauty. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

SHB111,

you have been a very amiable topic starter and your enthusiasm, willingness to do testing and to listen to the those that have commented with open ears is very commendable. I concur with olddog46. The arrow and spear points look way too fresh, uniform in shape and size and are made from more "pretty" forms of agate and chalcedony than most North American authentic points found in the wild. That does not take away from their beauty. 

Thank you Jeff, I came here to learn from you guys, not teach. Real or not the points did get me thinking and stirred up some old interests that had kinda gotten buried over the years - I’m ready to get out and hunt some rocks!

I’ve gotten into drones and thinking now how that’s great tech to employ. Plus the testing is fun too, im a lab work and experiment geek by nature so that part fits my  personality perfectly.

I appreciate everyone’s input and willingness to help and to encourage.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 1:46 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

SHB111,

Well since my spearhead turned out to be a reproduction, it kinda seems case closed, right?

However there’s still something that’s bothering me. See calculations:

Displacement of specimen = 25.44cc or 25.44 grams of water

Dry Weight of specimen = 77.77g

Dry weight of specimen divided by volumetric displacement of specimen equals density of specimen

77.77/25.44 = Density of specimen = 3.06

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
The SG of chert is 2.6

The SG of the specimen is 3.06

This indicates within the specimen is something with a much higher density than chert - something equivalent to 11 grams of gold. Calculations continued below:

Avg. Density of chert per reference guide = 2.6

3.06 > 2.6 - higher density of specimen indicates specimen contains heavy minerals - such as gold if visible indication and other non-destructive testing measures are positive.

How to calculate gold weight:

Density x Displacement Volume of specimen (chert) = weight of chert in specimen in grams (g)

2.6x25.44cc = 66.14

So a chunk of pure red chert that displaces 25.44 cc (or grams) of water should weigh 66.14 grams.

Dry weight of specimen minus weight of RS calculated for specimen = potential gold weight contained within specimen:

77.77g - 66.14g = 11.63g gold

1g gold = $61.79

Potential Gold Content Value: 11.63g x $61.79/g = $718.62

i wrote the little “go-by” myself so I could have an error or made an erroneous assumption but I think that’s correct.

Thoughts?

Exactly how did you measure the specimen's volume?