Nugget Finder Gpx6000 Coils Coming...

Have you noticed all brands are sticking to smaller sizes, there is likely good reason for this

I think your right about small coils being a better match for the 6K, even the current 17'' does not add much depth over the 11'' which I think is a great coil.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Have you noticed all brands are sticking to smaller sizes, there is likely good reason for this. 

Imagine an SDC 2300 with a 22" coil? I don't think it'd give the depth increases customers would expect with depth on bigger deeper targets with such a big coil.    The 14x9 and 11" didn't really appear to do much for it from what I've read.

17" or larger seems to be the most in demand coil size for Australia from what I've seen yet all brands are sticking with smaller sizes for their 6000 coils,  I think for the 6000 you'd lose a lot of that small gold sensitivity with a really big coil that its so good for, and then the big question is will these bigger coils add significant depth or would manufacturers just be making bigger coils for mostly ground coverage losing that small gold sensitivity, along with adding significant weight and then would people be happy with that? 

For me I'm lucky I only want smaller size coils, 15" seems to be the limit of what I'd ever need around here 🙂

For me the 17 inch coil with the 6000 is more about ground coverage than depth. The nice thing is that the 17 inch is almost as sensitive as the 11 inch for small gold. But when it comes to outright depth I prefer the 7000 any day. The SDC with a bigger coil is a head scratcher to me. The MPF tech. is aimed for shallow small gold/mineralized ground. The 8 inch is perfect for that. So, why a big coil? I totally agree with you on that. The 6k, as it being called a super PI-GM, is also designed for shallow/medium depth (also as judged by the ML star chart). Hence, sensitivity to small gold at medium depth is one of it's biggest strength and no other detector can compete here. So, very large coils for depth would not make much sense (IMO). No doubt it can punch deeper too, but there it looses it's leading edge when compared with the 7000. Just my 2 c.

GC

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

The nice thing is that the 17 inch is almost as sensitive as the 11 inch for small gold.

I agree. Little bit harder for pinpointing just for the size but still as sensitive.

D7D59329-BA93-4040-8D08-1530CC39E539.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's a lot harder to make though and NF coils are hand made.

All coils are hand made. Hand wound, hand potted, hand shielded, hand sealed, hand tested lol. Only machines involved would be the vacuum former (if the shells are made on-site), the wire-winder, the shielding spray gun and the shell sealer (if a heat one is used). Even the Korean made Commander coils were all made by hand.

The mono coils are waay easier to make than the DOD coils to suit the GPZ, simply a chip added to the potting connection area with 2 soldered inputs. Manufactured the same as all the other flat-wound monos. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, inthemountains said:

It would be great for Nugget finder or someone to make a simple adapter for existing coils such as all the nugget finder coils out there to be used on the 6000.

The 6000 coils are all chip-locked and the only source for the code on the chips is Minelab themselves. No hope of ever seeing any adapters.... Unless you butcher a coil, extract the chip and get yourself an adapter made. Just like the Russkies did.

• 2 months later...

Have there been any vids comparing the smaller coils directly to the stock 11" in terms of really bad EMI? Like same place and time, 2 side by side shots alternating audio of just the background EMI?

I went to a new spot today and for the first time found the 6000 completely unusable due to EMI. I thought it was my coil, then the cable, then I factory reset...nothing helped. 

I wasn't interested in a smaller coil until today, now I think it's almost a necessity to have one as backup in the ATV if they make a significant reduction in noise, in case EMI renders an entire trip pointless like today. $150 blown gas, makes up the cost of a smaller coil quick.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Nenad put up a video using the 12x7"

Thanks for posting. Looks like he run with 4 clicks gain. Although the button was rather large 18 inch of depth with 4 clicks is still pretty good. That combined with the higher stability and the elliptical shape makes this coil a really interesting option, also because you can get it better in deeper holes. I wonder if NF coils generally are quieter. The NF-Zsearch is also much more stable than the 14 stock.

GC 

5 hours ago, jasong said:

in case EMI renders an entire trip pointless like today.

Do you take the DD with you?   Although a bit heavier and awkward it works well re: EMI.  

A 6x10” DD in the ATV will be perfect for just the situation you describe.