Legend Threshold Still Not Fixed After 1.05 Update

I have been doing some field testing on small gold, lead, hot rock and typical Western USA gold fields iron/tin trash. All of this testing has been done with planted targets in mineralized ground using the 11" coil and with software update 1.05 installed.

At some gold prospecting sites I would probably run the Legend in Goldfield M using the A (all target IDs accepted) discrimination pattern so using an audible reference threshold tone is not crucial. 

At sites where mineralization is not overpowering I would probably use the Legend in Goldfield M using the G (ground) discrimination setting (1 and 2 rejected) or something similar so that iron minerals like magnetite along with some iron trash will have broken tones and would hopefully be accompanied by a nulling threshold. 

So far using the Ground (G) or Iron (F) discrimination patterns, I can only hear a nulling threshold on magnetite and iron targets by using a threshold tone volume level of 9 or less. The actual threshold tone itself at volume level 9 or less is very erratic, intermittent, actually hard to hear and unpredictable. I can hear it stop (null) however if I use a sensitivity setting of around 18 or higher. Using threshold volume level of 10 or more creates a constant, unwavering, easy to hear threshold tone which does not null over targets that are being rejected using the G or F discrimination patterns. 

Hopefully Nokta Makro can fix this issue. 

• Like 2

I agree that the Threshold feature on the Legend needs improvement. Part of the problem is evidently in the Bluetooth HP settings not being as needed. It seems to work better using just the detector speaker, but since I would never operate that way I sure hope NM gets it corrected. I was informed they are aware of it.

The Users Manual states that only Park, Field & Beach modes will null the TH on rejected targets. Goldfield mode maintains a steady level, set by the user. When it works as it should, it should be a helpful feature to adjust sensitivity to weak signals or provide a buffer for ground chatter. As it is now with V1.05, I adjust it to just below audible on all modes.

Curious if you put the Legend's audio to max and turn down on the headphones, would that help?

1 hour ago, kac said:

Curious if you put the Legend's audio to max and turn down on the headphones, would that help?

No....It doesn't make a difference, something is wrong with the threshold.

• Like 2

I know I am being picky. Maybe I am asking too much. But I want every advantage I can get when hunting for very small non ferrous targets like sub gram gold nuggets or for very deep targets using the Goldfield mode. 

I remember seeing the illustration in the manual showing the threshold being continuous in Goldfield as opposed to blanking on rejected targets in Park, Field and Beach. I wish that nulling was included in Goldfield.

My point here is that the actual threshold tone is not very audible until setting 10. Others have noticed this too. I have no need of the threshold as it is currently set at 10 or above. It is just useless noise in my opinion. The same happens using the external speaker at setting 5. In both cases the threshold tone is suddenly audible instead of being a gradual volume increase.

My other point is that there is enough background noise when the threshold is set below ten (even though the tone sounds more like intermittent static than a threshold tone) to act as a nulling threshold. That background noise will null/go silent over discriminated target IDs in Goldfield. That is a very good thing in my opinion. I just wish that background noise was a little more controllable. I am assuming that what I am hearing with the threshold set at 9 or below is part of the target tone/ground noise floor.

I use the same technique with the Equinox.......run it as hot as possible so the ground noise will act as a quasi threshold tone which will also null on discriminated target IDs in the Equinox gold modes since the Equinox threshold tone in the Gold modes does not null over discriminated targets. 

So, I want the threshold tone to start being more gradually audible for sure instead of just coming on at almost full blast at setting 10. However, I also would like to hear the other quasi reference noise that is being generated by the VCO audio too which acts like a nulling threshold.............

Since Nokta Makro were good enough to add single digit discrimination to Goldfield, please also make the threshold tone officially a reference threshold if you can.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sven1 said:

That is going to be fixed in the next update.

Try using wired headphones, threshold works as it should.

Thanks Sven.

I don't have the wired headphone adapter so I can't test that possibility.

The threshold tone volume gradually and pleasantly increases in Park, Field and Beach using the external speaker.

I hear no gradual increase of the threshold tone in Goldfield using the external speaker. It just suddenly comes on at setting 5 at a fairly loud volume and gets ridiculously loud by the time it gets to default 13.

So, some have reported this as just a BT/BT headphone issue. There is more going on than that which needs to be addressed.

By the way. I am a big fan of the Legend. It has proven to be quite a detector. I just want it to be better especially in its Goldfield mode.

• Like 1

There is no improvement of the various Thresholds thru the BT headphones with V 1.06.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, Dan(NM) said:

No....It doesn't make a difference, something is wrong with the threshold.

Is a digital threshold active to a target signal or just a digital hum in the background, nothing more. Time was listening for the slightest signal tic would indicate the very deep targets with an analog machine. Just wondered if the same with digital technology and not where the signals have been digitized.