10 Must Have Deus II Accessories

☠ Cipher

22 hours ago, SwiftSword said:

Just ranting here, but I miss the simplicity of the Vanquish working with my regular airpods. For my needs it would be great if XP made ear bud style headphones for their detectors. I've looked into alternatives, but whatever's out there for wireless cans is bigger and/or more awkward than the WS6. 

I'm with you on the earbuds, they're so much nicer in hot weather. I just ordered the WS4/6 audio adapter and plugged in some cheap JBL wired earbuds and clipped the WS6 puck to my hat band. Problem solved!

XP WS4/6 Audio Adapter

IMG_8303-2000.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2022 at 1:35 PM, SwiftSword said:

Just ranting here, but I miss the simplicity of the Vanquish working with my regular airpods. For my needs it would be great if XP made ear bud style headphones for their detectors. I've looked into alternatives, but whatever's out there for wireless cans is bigger and/or more awkward than the WS6. 

Didn't know Airpods were low latency, so would be interested know if they really are low latency because LL BT true wireless buds are a unicorn.  Non-Low Latency BT phones are basically unusable. Anyway, as posted above, a simple adapter allows you to plug the WS4/6 puck into whatever audio headphones/buds/speaker you wish.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

I believe the the TPU coil bumpers on Ebay are 3D printed as well. I've seen that quite a few water hunters have just spray painted their coil covers a bright color and they seem to work fine. Cheap and easy to touch up as needed. Just a thought.

Plasti Dip is my choice. Is very durable but will peel right off without a trace. Comes in several colors like orange, green and white as shown. Also no metals in the paint which is vinyl I believe.

7B9D536E-7B50-4876-9902-1E25C4D6BDD2.jpeg

0722D596-A4EC-4A0F-9D2A-4F9E76BF1B76.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Gwcracker said:

Ever try glow in the dark tape?

No I have not. As a water hunter after knee to thigh deep in the Chesapeake Bay, you can’t see anything and it becomes second nature to know where your coil is. This just stands out a bit in that 2 1/2> 3 foot deep water.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Didn't know Airpods were low latency

I don't know that they are. But it didn't seem to make a difference with the Vanquish 540. Targets lined up nicely with the tones. If it was off by an inch this way or that, I didn't notice. 

6 hours ago, SwiftSword said:

I don't know that they are. But it didn't seem to make a difference with the Vanquish 540. Targets lined up nicely with the tones. If it was off by an inch this way or that, I didn't notice. 

With non low latency phones, as I would swing across a target it would look like two adjacent one way hit targets offset by the distance associated with my sweep speed and the delay of up to 1/4 sec (faster sweeps made the problem worse).  It really wasn't about accurate pinpointing per se.  As someone who uses coil motion and rotation vice the pinpoint function to line up targets, it literally drove me bonkers.

• Like 2

Wow! Yeah, that never happened with the Vanquish/Airpod combination. I use the same technique as you to visualize the target location. I could flutter and rotate over a target just as fast as I pleased. It would hit the target on the in and out with no noticeable delay. 

4 hours ago, SwiftSword said:

Wow! Yeah, that never happened with the Vanquish/Airpod combination. I use the same technique as you to visualize the target location. I could flutter and rotate over a target just as fast as I pleased. It would hit the target on the in and out with no noticeable delay. 

Interesting, because from what I have found (see below) Airpods are definitely not low latency - not even close.  Just to confirm, I take it you do not get the "+" symbol next to the Bluetooth (BT) symbol on your Vanquish when your Airpods are paired to the Vanquish.

Latency/delay as little as 15ms is noticeable by some detectorists-most proprietary, dedicated detector wireless audio systems (e.g., Minelab Wi-Max, Garrett Z-Lynk, Nokta Makro non-BT wireless, Quest Wireless, and probably the XP Deus/Orx/Deus 2 wireless audio system) have this small level of delay.  Note that Bluetooth APTX LL latency tops out at about 40 ms and works well for detecting, though a small number of detectorists find even this level of latency bothersome.  Non-LL APTX BT has a latency of 60 to 70 ms and I personally find that to be basically unusable.  Most BT protocols (including AAC used for Airpods) can lag as much as 150 to 200 ms.  I can't imagine this level of latency being usable for most detectorists.

I found the following off the web regarding latency for 1st through 3rd gen airpods:

The first-generation AirPods, which use Apple’s W1 chip, measure latency of 274 ms. Second-generation AirPods, released earlier this year [2019] and powered by Apple’s newer H1 chip, drop the latency to 178 ms. And AirPods Pro, which use the same H1 chip, are even better at 144 ms.

The 130 ms improvement from the first-generation AirPods to the AirPods Pro might not seem like a lot on paper, Coyle acknowledges, but “the perceptual difference from this makes the AirPods Pro tantalizingly close to seamless.”

https://9to5mac.com/2019/12/22/airpods-latency-test/

Well as far as metal detecting is concerened, I wouldn't consider 144 ms of delay "close to seamless".  But I can imagine some small percentage of detectorists (including yourself, SwiftSword) can somehow deal or not be bothered with this higher level of delay.  The good news for you is that if you can deal with >100ms delays, that opens a whole host of non-APTX-LL phones and true wireless buds that you can pair with your Vanquish.

This topic has been discussed several times on the forum.  So anyone who is interested in a deeper dive should do a search on APTX Low Latency and you can see the tech specs, facts and wide range of opinions of how wireless audio latency affects the detectorist.  Regardless most prefer latency no greater than what is supported by APTX-LL (40ms).

Neither here nor there as far as XP detectors are concerned so a bit off topic (unless you want to plug a BT transmitter into the audio output jack on your Deus 2 remote or WS6 Headphones so you can use your Airpods) but just thought I would walk through it again in the interest of anyone who might be considering marrying Airpods to their BT audio compatible detector (Vanquish, Equinox, Legend, and GPX 6000 among others).  FWIW

• Like 2