Warning : Deus 2 Remote Froze During Frequency Scan

ColonelDan

I was attempting to diagnose a problem for another Deus 2 user in that his unit would not go into frequency scan mode. As I experimented with mine, I thought he might have taken his remote out of range of the coil. I took mine beyond the coil range and began a frequency scan and this is when my remote screen totally froze up. I couldn't power it down and it wouldn't respond to any button I pushed...and it was not locked in diving mode. I also noted that the headphones were also frozen. I couldn't power those down either. I read on the internet where another Deus 2 user had the same frozen issue during a frequency scan. He finally decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery which solved the problem.

Instead of going immediately to disconnecting the battery, I decided to try running the batteries totally down and see if that would allow the unit to reset.   After a few hours, the headphones and coil shut down.  The remote, with a much longer battery life, is still on and frozen since 8 PM 7 April.  I intend to let this go until it too runs totally out of power.  If that doesn't work, my next decision will have to be to disconnect the battery as the other man did.  I really don't want to do that since it requires removal of the back plate....a potential warranty issue?  I'll contact XP America to ask about that.

I notified XP HQs in France of this in hopes that a future update will address the repeated frequency scan problem.   I'll keep this forum updated as this "crisis" unfolds.

Advice: don't try the frequency scan when the remote is out of range of the coil and or headphones.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

I notified XP HQs in France of this in hopes that a future update will address the repeated frequency scan problem.   I'll keep this forum updated as this "crisis" unfolds.

Dan,

Ugh, not good. Sorry you experienced that.

Did you attempt to contact XP America’s support service at:

Detector Electronics Corp.
23 Turnpike Road
Southboro, MA 01772
508-460-6244

They might be able to render assistance over the phone or at least advise on whether cracking the case to disconnect the battery would impact warranty.  Since the user manual describes how to disassemble the remote and headphones to access the batteries for DIY replacement and provides an exploded parts assembly diagram, as well (pp. 39 and 45, respectively), I doubt disassembly to facilitate physically disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would necessarily impact the warranty unless the case was improperly reassessembled leaving the electronics vulnerable to water intrusion.  But I would ask XP America’s support the question to be on the safe side.

XP needs to fix the remote freeze up vulnerability in any event as I have anecdotally heard of at least 4 or 5 occurrences of this issue.

• Like 4

Thank you very much Chase!  
I’ll keep y’all informed as this drama unfolds.

Yes, XP must address/fix this in the next update!!!

• Like 2

Did you try connecting the RC to a computer so as to update it? That may also interrupt the loop. It's just a WAG. Worst case you will return it to factory settings.

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Did you try connecting the RC to a computer so as to update it? That may also interrupt the loop. It's just a WAG. Worst case you will return it to factory settings.

I don’t run Windows.  For updates, I take it to my hunting buddy’s house.  I’m still waiting for the RC’s battery to run down.

• Sad 1

It worked!!!  My Deus 2 remote is coming back to life👏🏻

I let the battery run all the way down then hooked the charging cable up to it and she sprung to life after 20 hours of being frozen.   I’m just thankful that I didn’t have to disconnect the battery.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've been a number of reports of this freezing problem on social media.  Looks like they've got something pretty significant to fix up, let's hope its a software lock and not caused by hardware.

What firmware has this issue been affecting?

One additional and positive point. By letting the battery run down instead of disconnecting it, I didn’t lose any of my custom programs.  
I did read that those who chose to disconnect their battery lost their custom programs. I can’t personally verify the loss of custom programs after disconnecting the battery but I can verify that I didn’t lose anything. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1