Clive, I see you have a tdi pro in your arsenal 

I know the pro isn’t waterproof but have you ever found  any DEEP gold rings with it on the beach

i am wondering how this AQ compares to a whites tdi pro on depth. I know it all depends on condition and the user etc etc . But just trying to get a idea how deep this AQ goes
I have dug some deep targets in All Metal with the tdi I bet 20 24 in ( coins and rings). Problem with the whites tdi it’s so unstable for me and not waterproof 

I am thinking about buying a used AQ. So I can wade in the water

any information you can give appreciated 

I have had my AQ’s close to two years now. I hunt in a salt environment. The AQ is extremely deep for me but 24” is a stretch for a gold ring I think. My deepest ring has been in the 17” range. Maybe I have never run across a 24” ring though. I can say a 17” hole in wet sand, takes a lot of time and effort to achieve. Many would give up. Good luck on your purchase.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, stateguy said:

Clive, I see you have a tdi pro in your arsenal 

I know the pro isn’t waterproof but have you ever found  any DEEP gold rings with it on the beach

i am wondering how this AQ compares to a whites tdi pro on depth. I know it all depends on condition and the user etc etc . But just trying to get a idea how deep this AQ goes
I have dug some deep targets in All Metal with the tdi I bet 20 24 in ( coins and rings). Problem with the whites tdi it’s so unstable for me and not waterproof 

I am thinking about buying a used AQ. So I can wade in the water

any information you can give appreciated 

these are both very deep  detectors--not far from 20" no question.  I do have a TDI, mine is waterproofed in a handgun case (still room for your Desert Eagle).  In salt the problem is that once you turn the delay up to 12+ for stability the depth is reduced to below Dual Field level.  In Fresh water it's a beast though.   These are both machines  that take some learning but will give you a  big advantage.  Read  everything there is.

cjc

• Like 1

Can we have some discussion on user experience when hunting salt beaches with areas of high black sand concentrations? I’m a newbie with the AQ - only about 11 hours total time. I have experience with other PI’s - I have a surf pi, surf pi pro, a DF, and two GP Extremes. I like hunting wet sand and dry and find the AQ the best of all of these. Definitely is the deepest or at least tied with the GP Extremes. Nice smooth threshold. But there is a bit of unpredictability with the AQ.  The very first time I turned it on it was wacky - an oscillation that seemed unaffected by rotation of the sensitivity and other controls. I was thinking “oh boy this is a bummer” and then it just popped into gear and worked thereafter.  I’ve had it go into this wacko mode just for a second or two since.  I’ve also had it go “dark” it lost ability to see a dime I tossed on the ground.  It seems in the black sand areas it would make target tones with each sweep.  Playing with the delay and ATS would reduce this but I wonder if depth suffers. I think the manual is a little weak addressing how best to optimize the controls. Also I am wondering if the detector circuitry might be retuning itself in a major way depending on how much activity it is seeing and also perhaps the voltage level of the battery. I don’t mind all this that much - I can live with it. I just wonder if it is typical.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:45 PM, bklein said:

Can we have some discussion on user experience when hunting salt beaches with areas of high black sand concentrations? I’m a newbie with the AQ - only about 11 hours total time. I have experience with other PI’s - I have a surf pi, surf pi pro, a DF, and two GP Extremes. I like hunting wet sand and dry and find the AQ the best of all of these. Definitely is the deepest or at least tied with the GP Extremes. Nice smooth threshold. But there is a bit of unpredictability with the AQ.  The very first time I turned it on it was wacky - an oscillation that seemed unaffected by rotation of the sensitivity and other controls. I was thinking “oh boy this is a bummer” and then it just popped into gear and worked thereafter.  I’ve had it go into this wacko mode just for a second or two since.  I’ve also had it go “dark” it lost ability to see a dime I tossed on the ground.  It seems in the black sand areas it would make target tones with each sweep.  Playing with the delay and ATS would reduce this but I wonder if depth suffers. I think the manual is a little weak addressing how best to optimize the controls. Also I am wondering if the detector circuitry might be retuning itself in a major way depending on how much activity it is seeing and also perhaps the voltage level of the battery. I don’t mind all this that much - I can live with it. I just wonder if it is typical.

I'll see if I can do a short video on the wacko mod.. I found any place there is a large piece of metal, or another machine is near that is on.....  it does it, over loaded... My first one I got from Rick does it also. I would take it to the beach, and turn it on while it was next to my car.. wacko.. Best to hold it in the air away from everything and turn it on.. works fine then.. I'll do that video Thursday, should be easy to recreate. 

• Like 4

The AQ got two of these before she dropped the T/H pot never liked those Vishays they were a problems on Eric's machines and I have a bin full of them to prove it.  First thing I would have told  them (and did). AQ is winging its way to TX at $86 CND a pop.

Good while it lasted!  Really told me ferrous from non ferrous well.  

cjc

DSCF1111.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 2

55 minutes ago, cjc said:

The AQ got two of these before she dropped the T/H pot never liked those Vishays they were a problems on Eric's machines and I have a bin full of them to prove it.  First thing I would have told  them (and did). AQ is winging its way to TX at $86 CND a pop.

Good while it lasted!  Really told me ferrous from non ferrous well.  

cjc

DSCF1111.jpg

Out of warranty?