On 4/10/2022 at 7:45 PM, bklein said:

But there is a bit of unpredictability with the AQ.  The very first time I turned it on it was wacky - an oscillation that seemed unaffected by rotation of the sensitivity and other controls. I was thinking “oh boy this is a bummer” and then it just popped into gear and worked thereafter.  I’ve had it go into this wacko mode just for a second or two since.  I’ve also had it go “dark” it lost ability to see a dime I tossed on the ground.  It seems in the black sand areas it would make target tones with each sweep.  Playing with the delay and ATS would reduce this but I wonder if depth suffers. I think the manual is a little weak addressing how best to optimize the controls. Also I am wondering if the detector circuitry might be retuning itself in a major way depending on how much activity it is seeing and also perhaps the voltage level of the battery. I don’t mind all this that much - I can live with it. I just wonder if it is typical.

I can at least answer the battery question... there is a boost converter that creates 15V no matter what the battery level is at, and this 15V powers the whole detector. So nothing should change as the battery drops. I don't know what could be causing the whacko mode, I've seen it a couple of time, usually indoors where there is a lot of EMI. The AQ is cranked up really high. Yes, in some situations (esp combo salt & black sand) you have to turn up the delay or increase the ATS to deal with falsing. Either will decrease depth a little so try to keep them minimized. When I wrote the draft for the manual I had a "troubleshooting" section that had all this in it, but it got cut out for some reason.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, bklein said:

How do you know what brand of pot? Did you manage to open it up somehow?

Vishay is the only company that makes this style of pot. I had almost no experience with them before the AQ, now I know better.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bklein said:

How do you know what brand of pot? Did you manage to open it up somehow?

I've ordered them for other machines.  

cjc

8 hours ago, bklein said:

Could you send me some part numbers so I can research them?

Google Vishay, potentiometers. There is only one ip68 but many ip67 fully sealed. Without opening the case, I’m not sure how anyone could say for sure other than maybe Carl or Alexandre. There are more than one type also used on the AQ it appears by their function. This is just a guess on my part. Interested in the responses.

4 hours ago, Geotech said:

Vishay P16

It's IP67 but it may be that salt water is causing corrosion.

This picture shows what can be hidden under your knobs if careful cleaning does not take place. I thought I was doing a good job but evidently not. I would think the Off switch and delay switch would be different pots from the remaining five. I also had a threshold switch that was missing the sealing ring. Luckily it was caught before submersion. 

92029107-2854-46B8-B9BE-31382F029A1C.jpeg

1A7DC8E6-2EEA-488E-B6BC-CC5EA5E06829.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, bklein said:

Needs an o-ring outside the nut that the knob can press against.

This is what Eric Foster suggested to me--adding a second "O" ring.

cjc

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, Carolina said:

This picture shows what can be hidden under your knobs if careful cleaning does not take place. I thought I was doing a good job but evidently not. I would think the Off switch and delay switch would be different pots from the remaining five. I also had a threshold switch that was missing the sealing ring. Luckily it was caught before submersion. 

92029107-2854-46B8-B9BE-31382F029A1C.jpeg

1A7DC8E6-2EEA-488E-B6BC-CC5EA5E06829.jpeg

Thanks great info, Carolina.  

will have to dig up the size Eric suggested for the second layer.

cjc