Are we talking for the Vishay’s or the Souriau?

9 hours ago, Carolina said:

Are we taking for the Vishay’s or the Souriau?

Eric had sent me the sizing for a second "O" ring for the Vishay pots.  He used them on the GQA2--I must have replaced 10 of them. 

cjc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bklein said:

What do you guys think about the coil connection? I have coax-seal over mine but wonder if it gets condensation and I won’t know about it until too late.

I replaced the metal locknut with a plastic one Eric made for me and added a 0 ring. I use both machines the same way. Either fully submerged or completely out of the water. I work with the tide. 

B622042C-F102-4E7E-8AC4-341999385761.jpeg

• Like 3

Once I have determined the coil connections in the connector are good, after inserting into the connector, I incase them with two part epoxy for waterproofing.

0B727D2A-953F-4739-B06A-C2E2C4DFB0CC.jpeg

4D97803C-9C82-4575-984A-F72789D17A61.jpeg

• Like 2

Question: is there evidence that the connector leaks or has ever leaked? The story I get from the factory is that the connector is fully waterproof but after hunting in salt water people are removing the connector and allowing salt water to drip inside, which then causes the pins to corrode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geotech said:

Question: is there evidence that the connector leaks or has ever leaked? The story I get from the factory is that the connector is fully waterproof but after hunting in salt water people are removing the connector and allowing salt water to drip inside, which then causes the pins to corrode.

I have never had a failure on the AQ nor any of my many modded Excalibur’s. I know Beechnut received a machine that had corrosion so we both assumed that it was not new. He did get a replacement. One thing about FT. They have always ( Eva, Felix & Tom ) have never disputed any issues I had and always treated me fairly. Here are a few but not all Souriau connectors I use. I have heard of the nibs on the female side wearing down and causing failures over time. I always push in while rotating the male end to take the pressure off the nibs. I might add, that the Vandamme cable has a soft jacket and is loaded with string. This allows for a lot of compression with little rebound should the end of the connector become loose. That is why I incase the cable and pins just in case. It also stops the cable from twisting at the solder joints while tightening. I have repaired several connectors for others for that reason. Unless you are changing coils, there is no reason to open the connection once it has been properly installed. Should it ever leak you will know it.

D3D381CC-E25C-4644-9473-3ADBA00944ED.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stateguy said:

So leave the connector attached to the control box

i disconnected my to air dry. Because mine falses every time water touched that connector 

I leave mine connected. Only disconnected to change coil and now have one AQ with the 8 inch on and one with the 12 inch coil on it. When you are in the water, either stay where the connector is above water or fully under water. Be aware that the connector coming out of the salt water or going into it will cause a sound off and deal with it. It does not sound like a target, it is a long rounded sound and not a short narrow sound like a good target. When I first saw video of that I was concerned, but after using it have found it easy to recognize and just a minor annoyance that I can adjust to.

14 hours ago, stateguy said:

So leave the connector attached to the control box

i disconnected my to air dry. Because mine falses every time water touched that connector 

That is capacitance involving the shielding or lack of in the connector coupled with the metal locknut. If you read my response work with the tide. Work north to south or parallel to the shore so you can keep the box out of water and follow tide out or submerge the box and follow the tide. Don’t work east to west or perpendicular to shore. 

• Like 1