On 4/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, bklein said:

What do you guys think about the coil connection? I have coax-seal over mine but wonder if it gets condensation and I won’t know about it until too late.

Certainly not impossible--suggest you open periodically to look it over.  

cjc

On 4/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I'll see if I can do a short video on the wacko mod.. I found any place there is a large piece of metal, or another machine is near that is on.....  it does it, over loaded... My first one I got from Rick does it also. I would take it to the beach, and turn it on while it was next to my car.. wacko.. Best to hold it in the air away from everything and turn it on.. works fine then.. I'll do that video Thursday, should be easy to recreate. 

Here is the video promised. Not the best but gives a idea of what not to do........... First....Overload, motorboating audio, when in the garage (And will not detect anything). Than once outside near the back of my SUV ..lots of EMI...(will detect but very noisy)......than I lay it in the yard, (away from all) and it does take a second to calm down but works fine. And detects metal. So the surrounding are a major factor when you first fire up the beast.

Turn your volume up so to hear the AQ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, Geotech said:

Question: is there evidence that the connector leaks or has ever leaked? The story I get from the factory is that the connector is fully waterproof but after hunting in salt water people are removing the connector and allowing salt water to drip inside, which then causes the pins to corrode.

Good point, Carl.  I use Permatech Dielectric grease on everything now.  Picks up a bit of grit and has to be rinsed / changed periodically but at lease there's no wasabi...everything doesn't have to be wrapped up either--just checked periodically. 

cjc

Great run-down video on the capabiles of this machine for anyone wanting to learn more.  ton of information here--thanks Alexandre!

cjc

• Like 2

It’s a powerful beast for sure…..give me an AQ “Lite” in a tough clear case you can open…..rated to 200 feet. Max of three controls is all I need 👍

Happy days…..

I removed all that nasty coax-seal stuff. It was getting stuck to everything. Got on the headphones then of course my ear… I wrap every connection with new 3M electrical tape and it works well. Don’t go with an off brand tape though as it won’t be as pliable. I don’t hunt underwater with it, the control head rarely gets wet.

19 hours ago, cjc said:

Great run-down video on the capabiles of this machine for anyone wanting to learn more.  ton of information here--thanks Alexandre!

cjc

One thing that makes a difference in this video, is the JBL speaker he is using, the stock head phones will not give the same results. I found the JBL speaker will add a inch or a little more..... Which shows how important having the best audio source is with the AQ. I know this for I used the same JBL speaker for my beach testing, with head phones you will not have the same results.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bklein said:

I removed all that nasty coax-seal stuff. It was getting stuck to everything. Got on the headphones then of course my ear… I wrap every connection with new 3M electrical tape and it works well. Don’t go with an off brand tape though as it won’t be as pliable. I don’t hunt underwater with it, the control head rarely gets wet.

I' ve stoppped wrapping and use Permatech Dielectric Grease to coat everything now.  Haven't seen any wasabe yet. Probably a good idea to eyeball everything everry couple of days though...

cjc

3 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

One thing that makes a difference in this video, is the JBL speaker he is using, the stock head phones will not give the same results. I found the JBL speaker will add a inch or a little more..... Which shows how important having the best audio source is with the AQ. I know this for I used the same JBL speaker for my beach testing, with head phones you will not have the same results.

Ya, you can tell that it's super loud.  He has his T/H super low as well--a good tip. Those micro tuning changes are interesting too.  I can't learn enough about this detector -- got a long way to go though...

cjc

• Like 1