The Quest Xpointer Max: A New Era In Pinpointers?

Watching this review really made me want one. It seems to accomplish what Minelab kind of missed, and that is the ability to discriminate at a good distance from the object. This is what the ProFind 35 should’ve been. With Boost engaged this beast will easily hit a coin at 4”. The LCD seems super helpful in many ways, from determining what settings are what, and adding a visual dimension to discrimination. The price also seems very reasonable relative to what it does. Sooner or later I’m going to have to have one. But I already have 4 pinponters here and a Mi6 on the way to make 5. What justification can I come up with to own this too? 😊 but anyway, what do you guys think…does this represent the ideal pinpointer? Will it lead to a new era in pinpointer design? Will an LCD and ever advancing discrimination become standard after this?

• Like 2

F350Platinum dig a great indepth review and follow up on the XPointer Max he uses in the field. I have one, but it's so quirky I don't use it in the field.

• Thanks 1

I like my X pointer Max, I'm also waiting for palzynski's review. I did review it at length:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/17350-quest-xpointer-max-review-update-2/#comment-180764 

Argh, not good at inserting posts. 😀 Not onea the cool guys yet... 🤔

It is quirky as all get out. Had to turn the sensitivity down to high from boost. Another user said he cuts it back to low or medium., It goes insane quickly even then, haven't tried lower. I've seen the Propointer AT with wireless do this too. Just starts beeping. I have to turn it off and on again, and while concentrating on my dig it's tough to find the on/off button.

That aside I always have it with me for those deep holes and iffy signals. One time it netted me a tiny thin silver ring in a hole full of iron bits, and many times it has saved me from further digging on large iron. I like how rugged it is.

Would I make it my only pinpointer? Nope. I think that the old Propointer AT is still the best that I have used, and the XP MI-6 is growing on me. Wish I could get my hands on a White's Bullseye TRX, but I'm good for now. 😀

I've been watching Quest for updates or fixes but I don't think any are forthcoming.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I like my X pointer Max, I'm also waiting for palzynski's review. I did review it at length:

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/17350-quest-xpointer-max-review-update-2/#comment-180764 

Argh, not good at inserting posts. 😀 Not onea the cool guys yet... 🤔

It is quirky as all get out. Had to turn the sensitivity down to high from boost. Another user said he cuts it back to low or medium., It goes insane quickly even then, haven't tried lower. I've seen the Propointer AT with wireless do this too. Just starts beeping. I have to turn it off and on again, and while concentrating on my dig it's tough to find the on/off button.

That aside I always have it with me for those deep holes and iffy signals. One time it netted me a tiny thin silver ring in a hole full of iron bits, and many times it has saved me from further digging on large iron. I like how rugged it is.

Would I make it my only pinpointer? Nope. I think that the old Propointer AT is still the best that I have used, and the XP MI-6 is growing on me. Wish I could get my hands on a White's Bullseye TRX, but I'm good for now. 😀

I've been watching Quest for updates or fixes but I don't think any are forthcoming.

You make a point worth considering here regarding the wireless integration. Could that extra EMI be inhibiting some pinpojnters from accomplishing stability at max depth?

I have two TRXs and a Tek Point, powerful pinpointers as well. I can use them on max settings with minimal instability if any at all. However, there seems to be no shortage of those saying these units are also too unstable and false at the highest settings for them in their environment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

You make a point worth considering here regarding the wireless integration. Could that extra EMI be inhibiting some pinpojnters from accomplishing stability at max depth? I have two TRXs and a Tek Point, powerful pinpointers as well. I can use them on max settings with minimal instability if any at all. However, there seems to be no shortage of those saying these units are also too unstable and false at the highest settings for them in their environment. 

And you may have a point there. Maybe it's the Equinox and now the Deus setting it off. I'll try placing the detector further away🤔

1 minute ago, F350Platinum said:

And you may have a point there. Maybe it's the Equinox and now the Deus setting it off. I'll try placing the detector further away🤔

That would be interesting. Let us know what you find out. I’m seriously entertaining adding this pinpointer to my collection. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

That would be interesting. Let us know what you find out. I’m seriously entertaining adding this pinpointer to my collection. 

I sure will. 🙂 Its ability to discriminate is why it's still in my bag along with my other pinpointer, be it the AT or the MI-6. Chase got me on the right path with the latter, adjusting the sensitivity made it much more useful. I also like pitch rather than pulse.

I can understand why some don't use it, but if you hate digging deeper holes and hunting around in a hole with multiple targets, If I'm not mistaken the Quest is the only game in town. I don't like carrying two pinpointers but it's useful.

Shame the holster has a terrible snap, 😵 It doesn't stay on. I am going to replace it with a tougher one.

• Like 1

I have two TRX's, both unstable although one worse than the other, one is quite usable just not in the highest sensitivity, my F-Pulse isn't unstable, works well, quite a nice pinpointer although not sensitive enough to small targets for me, and its PI depth advantage is eroded away by my mild soils.  At the beach it's a great unit.

This Quest is intriguing me, although it seems like it'd add very little to my current flock of pinpointers. 

I quite like the XP MI-4, except its far too quiet unless in traditional beep mode but I prefer the other pitch mode other than its pitiful volume level.

I'm yet to find my ideal pinpointer, so far its the still the trusty Carrot AT.

• Like 2

On another note, one buying this pointer must remember the bulk of sensitivity is toward the tip. It may false as non ferrous when the target is on the side of the device, but if it goes ferrous at all it is going to be right. That I do know from experience. I'll always try it at different angles.

• Like 3

Looks promising . Same price as some of the other brands top gun pointer.

If having too many pointers is stopping  you,,,you could build a rack like phrunt's in whatever size is enough for any collection !😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1