Largest Known Meteor Craters

The top 10 craters are impressive.  Think about how many are unknown!

https://www.livescience.com/45126-biggest-impact-crater-earth-countdown.html 

• Like 3

When you see a picture of the moon you see what seems like un-countable number of craters. Due to Earths greater gravity more meteorites are suspected to have hit the Earth than has impacted the Moon. This puts on display how dynamic erosive forces are on this planet. Most impacts happened during the time called the great bombardment millions/billions of years ago which cleared out most of the meteorites from our orbit.     

1 hour ago, MSC said:

When you see a picture of the moon you see what seems like un-countable number of craters. Due to Earths greater gravity more meteorites are suspected to have hit the Earth than has impacted the Moon. This puts on display how dynamic erosive forces are on this planet. Most impacts happened during the time called the great bombardment millions/billions of years ago which cleared out most of the meteorites from our orbit.     

Moon also has no atmosphere to impede/burn up the impactors so that's probably a big factor as well.

I was just metal detecting close to the impact center of the Beaverhead Crater a couple of weeks ago. It's about 8 miles west of where hiway 93 crosses Willow Creek Summit north of Mackay, Idaho. No visible evidence at all, unless you're an expert. Wandered that country for years, back in my fur-hunting days, and nobody back then had any idea that was an impact crater. It's interesting that Idaho's highest peak (Mount Borah) is right on the crater rim.

Jim

• Like 2

Interesting article. I was under the impression that a meteor impact was part of the formation of the Gulf of Mexico.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JCR said:

Interesting article. I was under the impression that a meteor impact was part of the formation of the Gulf of Mexico.

Yup, I watched a documentary on it, it's the second largest known crater on earth, that article had it as the 3rd one on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

Here is the top few.

craters.thumb.jpg.5185a94e4688a6f4935e7d692d81160d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Okay, there it is. Thanks.