Can Anyone ID This Odd Buckle?

Swift,

The pin is rusty.  What do you think the other metal is?

Mitchel

The pin is steel or iron. The item itself is brass, as evidenced by a small spot where I kissed it with my shovel. Taking the whole shape and the wear pattern into account, this would fit a circular leather collar well. What did the collars look like that cow bells hung from?

Better view of the peg/pin

41114726-1222-4B92-AED3-E82519450C6E.thumb.jpeg.28604eccab756fcb6fa2cdd9b788eecf.jpeg

Side view, showing curved back:

36C67F5F-798E-4972-8803-C1B60D54F462.thumb.jpeg.b0c0593cbc4e601f7f5ed9aba23f5f23.jpeg

Underside of broad edge shows wear:
0AE40B00-3713-4930-818B-D2CDF8A51DB1.thumb.jpeg.fac1d0a945eed28029840e95ef95ad1b.jpeg

Not really the right shape or wear pattern for a bottle opener:

F746270F-FB2F-426D-B64E-DDD37D860A5F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks to be 1/2 of a leather strap holder, the other side would have the hook at the end of the leather.

Hope this helps as it is a nice find.

• Like 2

My guess is brass trunk or box handle. Nice find, one of those things that doesn't fit in a display case 🙂

5 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Looks to be 1/2 of a leather strap holder, the other side would have the hook at the end of the leather.

Hope this helps as it is a nice find.

Valens, I think you might be right! It would explain the countersunk hole, and the flared shape of the "channel" to guide the hook. I also now realize that the "bridge" is thicker than other parts of the rim, which would also make sense. Strange only that something this massive would be secured by a single pin.

Where would this have been used? Is it horse tack? 

Great find and quite a mystery. As Chase pointed out the countersunk hole and the long screw, I doubt it would be a buckle. The 6 stamped on it could indicate a size. I thought it might be a receiver hitch of some sort but I don't see any wear from being in contact with other metal parts. So now I think that maybe it was designed for thick leather straps, perhaps to tie down cargo on a wagon, carriage, or stagecoach. 

• Like 5