Is It Worth Buying A Detech 13" Ultimate For The Simplex -

I was hoping mine was faulty but it seems it's not, and that's a disappointment as I like the concept just not the performance.   I bought the Wireless headphone package too, even though I don't like headphones 😛 Silly me.  I guess I'll just offload the Simplex, I dislike getting rid of detectors and I like everything about it except it's performance, if only it was as good as the Ace 300 on deeper coins, I have to have a very good reason to get rid of a detector and it's only happened once before with my QED.  I won't sell it just like I didn't sell the QED as I don't want to disappoint or mislead the buyer, I'll find a good cause for it and donate it.

My Gold Bug's are far more accurate on ID than the Simplex and T2, they're one if not the most accurate single frequency detector I own with good accuracy down to the depth of detection.  The Bounty hunter version of it seems a good buy to me by comparison of the Simplex to get the GBP performance for a cheaper price.

Thanks guys for all the help, just wasn't sure what to do and needed some convincing.

My only experience with Detech coils is they are well built and good around emi. I don't think tossing a bigger coil on the Simplex would make it much better and really depends on what and where your hunting. I can't either way if the Simplex is a good or bad machine but seen couple guys in my neck of the woods do pretty well with them but nothing earth shattering.

Now if they had a 9" ultimate for it then that might be a good alternative to the stock coil but they are pretty pricey.

• Like 1

Signal to noise is important not only to depth/sensitivity but also to target ID accuracy.  In your mild NZ soils (and I know it's not uniform all over the two islands as you've told us some gold detecting spots and beaches are strongly ferromagnetically-mineralzied), the larger coil might well improve the dTID values on the Simplex for coin sized targets.

Clearly Jeff's soils are more difficult.  Even my moderately mineralized ground gives the F75 troubles in dTID accuracy starting somewhere in the 5" depth range for our small coins (cents, 5-cents, 10-cents).  With ferromagnetic soils you're magnifying the background at the same time you're magnifying the signal.

So if giving the Simplex a chance to equal your Garretts with their large coils is your goal -- the 13" Detech Ultimate might succeed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some buy a $250 detector then moan and groan because it does not perform like a $750 detector, is that what’s going on here? The target id is different than some other machines? Is that the big issue here? So learn it and deal with it,……….. or sell it!

Been detecting since the early 1970s, and I currently have four detectors, Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Nokta Impact, and the Nokta Simplex +.  All are uniquely alike, and different in their own ways, and I enjoy using each one if it’s specific qualities fit the particular hunt I choose it for.  It’s just the way it is. I would never expect the Single freq. Simplex to equal the target id performance of my Equinox 800. Two different animals not worthy of comparison.

If you are looking for that “perfect, fits all needs and performs flawlessly” , detector,………….. and for $250”,…….. LOL does not exist, and never will!

11 minutes ago, Zectron2348 said:

Some buy a $250 detector then moan and groan because it does not perform like a $750 detector, is that what’s going on here? The target id is different than some other machines? Is that the big issue here? So learn it and deal with it,……….. or sell it!

No what's going on here is I am comparing it to an Ace 300i and a Vanquish and both absolutely destroy it for target ID stability on deep targets in my soil, so does my Gold Bug Pro which is also branded as a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro which is also in the similar entry level price range.  It is a big issue to me it's target ID is so unstable, I like stable ID's.  There is nothing to learn, it either ID's coins well, or it doesn't and for me it doesn't.  I was hoping by buying a bigger better coil that may improve, I was also checking with others if they think I possibly have a faulty Simplex by how poor it performs by comparison to other entry level type machines.

It doesn't help I think Nokta tend to over-state just how good it is in their marketing. 

simplex.jpg.e1c0a0449a06375e2a1a4c2290d79c63.jpg

For me in my extremely mild soils the Simplex doesn't have extreme depth, it's pitiful, unless you're going to dig every target that it's ID's bounce around as iron you'll miss any deep coin, other detectors in its price range like the Ace 300, Gold Bug Pro or Vanquish are far superior for digging targets at depth with a reliable identification of what you're about to dig.

It's just my opinion in my soil, which is about as easy as soil gets for a detector.  I thought my detector must be faulty by how poor it performs, it turns out people think it's behaviour is normal, so if that's what the Simplex is, I don't like it.

• Like 1