Coil Centering Device- Helpful Or Not?

relicmeister

So I have the 11” Deus 2 coil and I must say I’m doing quite well with it even in dense iron and target rich areas. I only extend the lower stem 4” or 5” which keeps it fairly light and balanced. I’m wondering if the use of a coil centering device would be worth getting only for the 11” coil- I wouldn’t bother on the 9” coil which I’m anxious to receive. If anyone has one or tried one can you give me your opinion if it helps or not really worth it? The Deus 2 with 11” coil is absolutely not nose heavy, but I’d consider the centering device worthwhile  if it makes it notably more balanced.   Thanks 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, relicmeister said:

So I have the 11” Deus 2 coil and I must say I’m doing quite well with it even in dense iron and target rich areas. I only extend the lower stem 4” or 5” which keeps it fairly light and balanced. I’m wondering if the use of a coil centering device would be worth getting only for the 11” coil- I wouldn’t bother on the 9” coil which I’m anxious to receive. If anyone has one or tried one can you give me your opinion if it helps or not really worth it? The Deus 2 with 11” coil is absolutely not nose heavy, but I’d consider the centering device worthwhile  if it makes it notably more balanced.   Thanks 

Just looking at the pics of the centering devices, it looks to me like it would introduce rotational torque on the coil ears which could eventually fatigue and crack them.  Or maybe the centering device material has enough flex that it “takes up” some of that torque force.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, relicmeister said:

The Deus 2 with 11” coil is absolutely not nose heavy, but I’d consider the centering device worthwhile  if it makes it notably more balanced.   Thanks 

Does this even make sense? why change a thing then? 

Forgive me but I'll call it nose heavy all day long 🙂...I used to have one... Xp makes a great product but their shaft is not designed for heavier coils...they need to re think this.

strick 

• Like 2

Never considered rotational torque, and it’s another point of weakness. I will rephrase my nose heavy as compared to equinox it’s easier to swing. I tried a counterweight at the arm cuff and it felt better swinging it. I’ve decided not to pursue the coil centering idea. Wouldn’t even have brought it up if I had my dang 9” coil already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, relicmeister said:

Never considered rotational torque, and it’s another point of weakness. I will rephrase my nose heavy as compared to equinox it’s easier to swing. I tried a counterweight at the arm cuff and it felt better swinging it. I’ve decided not to pursue the coil centering idea. Wouldn’t even have brought it up if I had my dang 9” coil already. 

I have a Nox 800 with an 11" coil and Deus 2 with 9" coil. I have a lot more time on the Nox than the Deus, but so far I find the Deus more ergonomic, even with a carbon fiber rod and counterweight on the Nox. I often feel like I've got a death grip on the Nox and the top of my hand is pressed into the control box and there is not much pressure on my arm at the cuff.  I haven't encountered that with the Deus.

I've often wondered about the utility of/need for the coil centering device for the Deus - would it make it even better balanced and easier to swing (it's already pretty good for me), or is it a just a gimmick or the placebo effect in action?

• Like 4

I think it would make it better although you might have to extend the shaft out a few more inches to re gain the distance lost by centering the coil? then that might negate the whole process? at any rate XP needs to come up with a different shaft for their 11" and bigger coils thats all I'm trying to say 😉 

strick

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bill in MI said:

I have a Nox 800 with an 11" coil and Deus 2 with 9" coil. I have a lot more time on the Nox than the Deus, but so far I find the Deus more ergonomic, even with a carbon fiber rod and counterweight on the Nox. I often feel like I've got a death grip on the Nox and the top of my hand is pressed into the control box and there is not much pressure on my arm at the cuff.  I haven't encountered that with the Deus.

I've often wondered about the utility of/need for the coil centering device for the Deus - would it make it even better balanced and easier to swing (it's already pretty good for me), or is it a just a gimmick or the placebo effect in action?

Have you considered a printed hand stop for your Equinox? Got one of those and any issues I had with it went away. It was giving me some pretty rough trigger finger. 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, NCtoad said:

Just looking at the pics of the centering devices, it looks to me like it would introduce rotational torque on the coil ears which could eventually fatigue and crack them.  Or maybe the centering device material has enough flex that it “takes up” some of that torque force.  

The coil being offset, already makes it off weighted. Therefore, any resistance be it a solid or liquid will create MORE rotational torque. 

As a water hunter, one of my tricks in hard wave wash is to stuff the coil down to the bottom as the rush of water goes by. Thus, not catching the coil and having the water force it away from you. This is now complicated by a coil that is not center mounted. 

8 hours ago, midalake said:

The coil being offset, already makes it off weighted. Therefore, any resistance be it a solid or liquid will create MORE rotational torque. 

As a water hunter, one of my tricks in hard wave wash is to stuff the coil down to the bottom as the rush of water goes by. Thus, not catching the coil and having the water force it away from you. This is now complicated by a coil that is not center mounted. 

You’re correct in that the coil ears not being center mounted or in other words, not being mounted at the center of gravity of the coil, will put torque on the coil ears.  The friction force of water will exacerbate this torque.  However, using a centering device will only put even more torque on those cool ears whether in or out of the water.  Think of using a cheater bar on frozen nut.  Here’s a pic of a centering device made by a guy on the friendly forum.  80A38A99-89D0-4DC4-B659-67DC96636745.thumb.png.4c038e9f3616eb10afece57c2c3de63f.pngThat red piece of plastic is basically a moment arm and unless it’s attached to the coil close to where the shaft attaches to it, (and it doesn’t look like it does), it increases the stress through increased torque on the coil ears.  Think of swinging that coil with an exaggerated centering device that’s two feet long and how much stress that would put on the coil ears.  Maybe we have a mechanical engineer here on the forum who can weigh in on this and explain it better.  

1 minute ago, NCtoad said:

Think of swinging that coil with an exaggerated centering device that’s two feet long and how much stress that would put on the coil ears.  Maybe we have a mechanical engineer here on the forum who can weigh in on this and explain it better.  

Oh, I understand that. If I were to use a centering device, it would be epoxied down as one with the coil. 

BUT, this does not nullify the current coil mount problems.

It will be interesting to see if water hunters will have issues with coil ears on the factory set-up. Deus has not made the coils water friendly.