Observations Of Nokta And Makro Detectors

I want to make it clear right off the bat that the info below are only based on observations an I am in no way an expert.  I am going by info from the respective websites and to some small extent reviews I have read.  Nothing I'm noting is based on personal use as I have not had any of these detectors in my hand.  My reason for doing this is that for my own purposes it has helped me clear up in my own mind between between the several different detectors made by these 2 companies.  For some of you I am sure this info will be of no help but maybe for someone new on the block it might be useful.    

Makro and Nokta are both based in Istanbul Turkey.  Some say they are the same company and that could be so but I looked up the address of each and they are in a different Zip Code in Istanbul so at least they do have separate offices and separate websites: Makro:  http://www.makrodetector.com/   Nokta:  http://noktadetectors.com/index.asp  

The primary detectors from Nokta I am interested in is the Fors Core, Fors Relic, Fors Gold, Fors Gold plus, and the AU Gold Finder.

The products from Makro I am interested in is the Makro Racer, the Makro Racer 2 and Makro Gold. 

Differences:

1. Display; The Nokta Fors models (Core, Relic, gold and gold plus) all have 2 displays.  One on the side and a smaller one on the shaft.  The small display on the front/shaft is a visual aid displaying the ID number, depth and battery condition.  The display on the side is where you set up the detector. Some feel this set up is inconvenient.  

2. Weight: The Nokta Fors models are heavier than the Makro at almost 4 lbs compared to 3 lbs including batteries.  

3. Frequency: The Nokta AU Gold and Makro Gold Racer both operate at 56Khz so many would consider them dedicated gold machines either likely able to fine very small bit of Gold.

The Nokta Fors Core runs at 15khz, as does the Nokta Fors Gold.  However the newer Fors Gold plus runs at 19khz as does the new Fors Relic.                                                                 The Makro Racer and Racer 2 both run at 14Khz.  

Just going by the specs of each the AU Gold Finder or the Gold Racer would be equally good as a dedicated machine as they both seem to be loaded with all the goodies just comes down to what you like looking at, knobs or a display?  I would think if you like simplicity the AU Gold Finder would be for you but if you feel the need for a digital display then go with Gold Racer.  But do your due diligence and do some of your own research before making up your mind.

As to a gold detector that can be used for Coins Relic and the beach from these 2 companies leaves us with the Makro Racer 2, the Fors Core, Fors Gold, Fors Gold plus and Fors Relic.  Personally speaking, and just going by specs alone, of the detectors for primary use as a gold detector I lean toward the Fors gold plus at 19 khz.  If my intent were first a Relic hunter maybe the Fors Relic as it also offers the 19Khz freq but it's program is slightly biased toward relic hunting.  The Makro Racer 2 though is hard to leave out of the race with it's lighter weight, front digital display and all the discrimination bells and whistles of the Fors machines.   So for now I well research a bit more to decide which and if any of this companies detectors I will put on my short list. 

Terry

• Like 1

Terry, based on advice from certain members that I hold in high regard. I would tend to forget the fors Gold for a simple reason the fors Core has the beach/salt mode and if you find your self detecting out in the salt pans that might not work so well for you, Where as the Fors Core does have the beach mode and the 2 machines are about the same price and although you might not go beach detecting it will work well out in the Salt pans looking for gold,

Hopefully Steve and a few other well versed folks will weigh in and correct me or steer you in the right direction, for me I would be going for the Gold Racer and the Fors Core, because they seem to be the machines that have had great reviews.

john 

• Like 1

Wow,

Thanks Steve

I missed the boat on that one.  I'm only about 2 years behind as that post was in 2014.  You would think they would have adopted just one name by now for the company.  Either way lot's of folks sure like their products. 

14 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Terry, based on advice from certain members that I hold in high regard. I would tend to forget the fors Gold for a simple reason the fors Core has the beach/salt mode and if you find your self detecting out in the salt pans that might note work so well for you, Where as the Fors Core does have the beach mode and the 2 machines are about the same price and although you might not go beach detecting it will work well out in the Salt pans looking for gold,

Hopefully Steve and a few other well versed folks will weigh in and correct me or steer you in the right direction, for me I would be going for the Gold Racer and the Fors Core, because they seem to be the machines that have had great reviews.

john 

Thanks John,

I will definitely take that into consideration as I am definitely planning on using the detector at saltwater beaches.  

41 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

You would think they would have adopted just one name by now for the company.  Either way lot's of folks sure like their products. 

Like Bounty Hunter, Fisher, and Teknetics (First Texas)? Chevy and GM a good example also.

In my opinion FORS Gold+ has effectively replaced the FORS Gold.

Thanks Steve,

I was thinking that also and even if not most would want the newer model anyway assuming improvement.

Maybe a couple hitches now to purchasing the Fors Gold Plus.  One hitch now is that I plan to use the detector I buy on salt beaches etc.  I know the Core will do salt but what about the Gold plus?  I just read a review also about the gold + and the reviewer had a hard time making adjustments as they are on the side.  Making it more difficult because he was using a stock plastic cover which reflected the sun making it even harder to make adjustment.  

I would definitely want at least a cover on whatever detector I use so I'm already starting to rethink the Fores detectors with the adjustment display on the side.  

Terry

Hi Terry.

There's a saying I've been using most of my life, I didn't make it up so I guess I heard it as a kid.

It Will All Even Out In The Wash.

And I reckon this saying applies with your current conundrum in trying to decide which Nokta/Makro unit to purchase for an All-Rounder.

But I think you have to take wet salt beach water out of the equation. No single freq unit will come out on top for you here.
Because the only units, as you know, that are adaptable enough to handle the full on saltwater are vlf bbs/fbs units and the pulse induction units across many brands.

Dry sand well above the waterline is no worries, as are the tracks into the beach and sand around the car parks and dunes.

That leaves you needing a coin/relic/jewellery/dry sand/ goldfield unit amongst the Nokta Makro range.
I've lost count now of your choices, but I think 8 sounds about right, with a very strong coil range across the board.

When you choose the one unit and three coils it simply will not matter which model it is, as there will always be an advantage at a certain site, ground type or purpose with that unit over others in the line up, and distinct disadvantages with it in comparison, and they will change for you on a daily basis.
It will not really matter which model you end up with, you simply cannot lose with your choice, because in the end after learning and getting used to your new unit over the variety of uses you put it through, you'll know exactly how it'll behave in all scenarios, giving you both the knowledge and the confidence to hunt-on regardless of the trade-offs you've made between it and another model in the range.
It Will All Even Out In The Wash.

Don made a nice post on I think one of the AU Goldfinder threads, about how his AU hit nicely on a 5 gram piece at 5 inches in hot dirt, yet the F19 carried not a murmur on it in all metal. It's a perfect example of trade-offs. As the AU flew the flag on this, he'll know exactly which unit and coil he will be taking on his next hunt over a similar ground type, but may find in a month that the F19 came out on top on either a milder ground type using a different coil size and so on.

You've noticed the handgrip trigger set up on the Noktas, and the s-rods on the AU and Makro. The different displays on them versus side-box, front up, and nice old-school dials on the AU. 
It may end up coming down to the ergonomic choices versus display for you.

The ID and iSAT correlation has been improved on them now. Gold Racer is behaving well and it's jewellery abilities places it a step up. The AU is a beaut for re-mounting or for leaving stock and carries what I think is the perfect way for myself to detect -  balancing on the fly with no concentration needed.
The Relic models carry nice advantages to them, As do all Racer models.

But yeah, you cannot make a regrettable choice.

Although if there were only two models it'd be a heck of a lot easier, but we'd lose the advantage of the nice choices on offer so we gotta be thankful for that. 

I'd like to see you buy and gell with one soon, and really nut the unit out before you head off on the nugget trip.

So from one soldier to another..

It's time to step up Marine ...

• Like 3

What argyle said. Go for it- get one. Enjoy it. You really can't go wrong.

I have the CoRe AND just ordered the Fors Relic both for relic/coin hunting. I use a PI for nugget hunting.

Unless you plan on hunting tailing piles or fairly benign ground - get a PI unit for your nugget hunting. 

Good luck!

Dean

• Like 1

Argyle,

All great advice.  Thank you again soldier.  I'm stubborn for sure so don't give up on trying to help me see the detector light.    

I had heard previously that single frequency machines do not do well in salt beach sand and I think that's the general consensus among most experienced metal detector users like yourself.  But it seems there may be some exceptions least it may appear so based on several video's of the Fors Core and Makro Racer being used on the beach pretty effectively in wet sand. See the video below of the racer being used on the beach with a large coil.  It seems solid and not falsing and gain set to near max.  Able to clearly see a coin (lb coin?)   I am sure it must be loosing some depth but still doing pretty good.  I've also seen similar beach tests done with the Core.  I'm sure most multifrequency detectors could do better but I wonder if by much?  I know the PI detectors can do better but then I'm back to digging everything.  The beach I go to is full of so much iron like hair pins, caps and tabs etc that one needs some discrimination for sure.  

I did further online searches though and the Fors Core seem to have some some serious ability to detect a rusty nail setting on top of a dime at moderate depth based on a shoot out with several other prominent detectors. Could it have been rigged, maybe but didn't appear so.  Both attached utube tests seem like honest tests and the guy doing the tests seemed visibly disappointed with his CTX.  So I haven't given up yet on the Core or the Racer as a possible beach and all around use detectors but the Racer or actually the Racer 2 at the moment has the edge in my mind.   I have a month plus before I need to make up my mind and trying to keep it open.

Terry