• The title was changed to Turf Hunt

Nice hunting and always good to hit some silver.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Odd that you find so many coins in this one spot, but great. 🙂 Any idea of the history? It's it a park, field, or old house?

Nice, best coin find of the day. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Odd that you find so many coins in this one spot, but great. 🙂 Any idea of the history? It's it a park, field, or old house?

Nice, best coin find of the day. 👍

I keep this area secret don’t want a lot of hunters digging up the place.  I will tell you the area dates back to 1850’s. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice hunting and always good to hit some silver.

Good luck on your next outing.

Thanks,

I was really surprised a seated popped out of the hole.  I haven’t found one in 10 years.   The D2 is a fantastic detector I like it better than the tarsacci.  

• Like 1

Some good finds. As for your wheaties  as Crocodile Dundee said "that is not a knife this is a knife." It is three times bigger. 😄 Sterling silver Aus. 3 pence.

1352104428_Sterlingsilverwheatpence.thumb.jpg.1061187e119060c59a329148e84cd816.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 4/11/2022 at 1:32 AM, Denny said:

damaged 1867s seated dime

So you're saying it has an -S (San Francisco) mintmark?  I'm having trouble seeing that....  This denomination+year is one where the Philadelphia mintage was much lower than SF (6.6k vs. 140k) so hoping your's doesn't have the mintmark.  OTOH, in this condition, even if you could discern, it probably doesn't translate to value.  But given the damage is done, regardless of its origin, I guess the rarer version makes it feel like a bigger accomplishment (or maybe just more lucky...).  The flipside of that is if you know you have a very scarce coin but with the condition so bad as to make it worthless -- that might really be a punch-in-the-gut.

Nice finds and I hope your next Seated is in better condition.  Do you know what happened to that one?  Is it chemical or physical (stuck in amongst gravel/stone for 1.5 centuries)?

BTW, where are you located -- state would be nice but at least what part of the country (NE, SW,...) -- helps give us an idea where the old stuff (and how much of it) is still out there and where we have a chance of finding it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

So you're saying it has an -S (San Francisco) mintmark?  I'm having trouble seeing that....  This denomination+year is one where the Philadelphia mintage was much lower than SF (6.6k vs. 140k) so hoping your's doesn't have the mintmark.  OTOH, in this condition, even if you could discern, it probably doesn't translate to value.  But given the damage is done, regardless of its origin, I guess the rarer version makes it feel like a bigger accomplishment (or maybe just more lucky...).  The flipside of that is if you know you have a very scarce coin but with the condition so bad as to make it worthless -- that might really be a punch-in-the-gut.

Nice finds and I hope your next Seated is in better condition.  Do you know what happened to that one?  Is it chemical or physical (stuck in amongst gravel/stone for 1.5 centuries)?

BTW, where are you located -- state would be nice but at least what part of the country (NE, SW,...) -- helps give us an idea where the old stuff (and how much of it) is still out there and where we have a chance of finding it.

Hi GB

Last night did a little more cleaning and turns out to be a 1887s not 67s. So even more worthless. Many of the older silver coins I’ve dug at this small grassy area here in California are pitted by chemicals over the years. The area dates back to 1850’s.   I’m hoping a gold coin will surface.  

I used beach program in pitch tones and square sounds with salt sens 1 and magnetic reject on off.  Going to try relic program next.    I find general program a bit weak.

denny

• Like 2