Question To Legend Users!

I am talking here only with reference to Canadian clad coins .The Legend barely detects them and seems to do best for me at M2 plus A setting .In comparison to say the Racer 2 it is definitely lacking in this respect .However the pinpoint feature does identify them .Therefore the pinpoint apparently has more All metal capability than A .Can this be adjusted ?Clad I.D is an important feature to many Canadian users .

For Bi metal coins I would make sure the first Tone break is set around 6 or 7.  They probably ID pretty low.    Pinpoint is Non Motion All metal and is different than regular Motion All metal. I'm not sure that The Legend has a real Motion All metal mode unless it is Goldfield.

I agree with JCR, you may have to really do some creative tone break/pitch adjustments and testing to set the Legend up for modern Canadian steel core clad. Also, with the tone-pitch feature and adjustable iron bias that are being added soon, you may have even more alternatives.

When I get my new system control box, I will do some modern Canadian coin testing too. 

• Like 2

Jeff if you can figure out Canadian Clad, I would be forever grateful! 

I agree with CanadianScouser on the Legends inability to work on Canadian Clad at this point.  Unless there is some tuning over my head that needs to be done to the machine.  In fairness, the NOX doesn't work either.  I have had my Nox since it was released, and I don't think I have found any Clad except for pennies.  I can go out to the same spot with any of my single freq detectors and find enough clad to buy lunch in a short time (since we have one and two dollar coins, it doesn't take too long).

The issue is the sounds and VDI are all over the place and there really isn't anything consistent.  Even year to year, they behave a bit differently.  So it is very hard to set tone breaks, and pitch.  Since the Legend handles very similarly to the NOX, I am wondering if this may be a side effect of MF detectors? 

For me, I am not interested in just a coin shooter, and want to try and pull the most valuable stuff out of the ground, but it is nice to always come home with a couple bucks if you get skunked on anything of higher value.  With both the Legend (on current firmware), and the NOX I have to decide if I want to forgo any Clad in the hopes of a rarer find, that maybe my SF detectors would miss.  In my experience, I get more value in finds per hour using a SF detector in parks and fresh water beaches than both the Nox and Legend.  Although my time on the Legend is still relatively low, I have yet to find anything other than a penny when it comes to Clad.

I would be more than happy to send some Canadian Clad to any testers who are more skilled than I, and maybe they can figure it out.  If Nokta wants some for testing, let me know.

I’m not yet a Legend user, and not sure I will be, but I own several multifrequency machines, and so I have a request for the next generation. Give us a multichannel spectrograph displaying each frequency to target reaction. It’s one thing Whites had right, and if you ask anybody what they did like about the V3i and VX3 that spectrograph tops the list. To do this you’d have to give away what frequencies are actually running simultaneously, but frankly forgoing features like this to hide this information would just be silly anyway as it is fairly easily obtained by Geotech and others. By now we know these machines aren’t using every frequency available all the time and the real magic is in the processing algorithms. Secrecy there is understandable, and still leaves plenty of room for marketing. Even if the powers that be were to insist the frequencies remain secret a spectrograph could still be utilized by simply labeling the spectral lines “high” and “low.” Anyway, that’s my two cents. I believe it’s a very useful discrimination tool, and it need not be married to complexity, nor presented in color to be effective. I wish it weren’t too late to incorporate it into Legend because it would set it over the top. I imagine it was because it wasn’t requested often enough, but it’s a fair point to ask how many people have used a $1500 V3i to know they want a spectrograph and what it does. Relatively few know what they are missing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Give us a multichannel spectrograph displaying each frequency to target reaction. It’s one thing Whites had right, and if you ask anybody what they did like about the V3i and VX3 that spectrograph tops the list.

Seems like this has come up before, and Carl and Steve H. (if I remember correctly) have said the way the modern multifrequency (MF) detectors operate is not the way the White's Vision family worked.  Now could the manufacturers, in addition to their modern methods, provide a mode that mimicked the V3?  Maybe....

Hopefully those who know more about the history of MF workings will chime in.

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Seems like this has come up before, and Carl and Steve H. (if I remember correctly) have said the way the modern multifrequency (MF) detectors operate is not the way the White's Vision family worked.  Now could the manufacturers, in addition to their modern methods, provide a mode that mimicked the V3?  Maybe....

Hopefully those who know more about the history of MF workings will chime in.

As long as we are dealing with true simultaneous multifrequency a spectrograph should be feasible. Last we heard from Carl he had stated that the Equinox was simultaneous, rather than sequential. I’m assuming the same is true of Legend. Sequential would be trickier, but even FBS machines have a hidden menu with spectrograph. At least there are pictures of it in the wild. Minelab purportedly doesn’t agree that it’s a useful or reliable tool. But you do have me to wondering now if there isn’t something else stopping others from implementing it and what it would be. Once used, it becomes clear that it is a useful discrimination feature. And multifrequency pinpoint no motion is amazing in commingled targets.

• 6 months later...

This thread is a bit old but I hope @Nokta Detectors is still monitoring User suggestions.

After 120+ hours of pleasant & successful hunting with The Legend, I have one more suggestion for Nokta to further improve The Legend.

Add a second C Disc function in each Mode.

This would allow for efficient & effective switching between two distinct Disc patterns. For example, C1 set up for hunting Silver/High conductors and C2 set up for Jewelry/Mid conductors, or even a reverse Disc pattern to cross/double check targets.   I think this would be a real time saver and add to the ease of use in the field.

In reading over this Thread before making this Post, I see that most all of the practical suggestions made by Members here have been acted on by Nokta. That is a real testament to not only Nokta, but the many thoughtful detectorist on this Forum.

• Like 2