Dropped Confederate? Found A Circle Earthworks In Montana(not Montana) For Sure Earthworks Fort Guarding Railroad Bridge!

What does Montana (not Montana) mean?

I've dug a few Minie Balls here in NH. I don't know much about them though. Sorry I can't help you there.

• Like 1

Just my odd sarcasm is all (not telling whr I may be bush hunting in the south)! Yeah east coast had many cw soldiers,vets I think yanks had 9 million men could be wrong maybe 7. Many more than rebs, all that I mean is I know people find stuff up north but Montana its probly slim if not slim it's possible unicorn hunting!

I've had the pleasure of digging 50-60 of what I thought were mostly .58 cal minie balls. Turns out if you measure,weight them I have 7,8 different varieties of .54/.58/.69/.71 and pistol examples too. Pretty neat once I realized this (not so long ago) and i think these are possibly. 54 cal but very well could be .58 cal union for all i know atm.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

Just my odd sarcasm is all

Ah, now I understand your list of gear used.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

Just my odd sarcasm is all (not telling whr I may be bush hunting in the south)! Yeah east coast had many cw soldiers,vets I think yanks had 9 million men could be wrong maybe 7. Many more than rebs, all that I mean is I know people find stuff up north but Montana its probly slim if not slim it's possible unicorn hunting!

I've had the pleasure of digging 50-60 of what I thought were mostly .58 cal minie balls. Turns out if you measure,weight them I have 7,8 different varieties of .54/.58/.69/.71 and pistol examples too. Pretty neat once I realized this (not so long ago) and i think these are possibly. 54 cal but very well could be .58 cal union for all i know atm.

When I was your age young feller I did most of my bush hunting at the local saloons and dance halls.

• Haha 3

Very cool finds! The Minie Balls are most likely Union and the smaller bullet is probably a much more modern brass jacketed .45 Auto round. The spikes are interesting too, given the description of the round fortification protecting the bridge, it was likely a gun emplacement for a small artillery piece. Good Hunting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

When I was your age young feller I did most of my bush hunting at the local saloons and dance halls.

Trust me I wasted 15 years of life with many years of hunting,chasing good times and downright uncivilized behavoir! Imo wasted,not all regrettable though! Lol wife,kids,several homes,gun enthusiasm,detecting all back seat to work(things need paying for) firvtge last 10+ gotta pile up good choices now! Have fun,be safe,thanks:)

Those are adult years also,teen years same-ish just much more cowboying started riding 5,6 yrs old ended 24yrs old to shitty life choices! No rodeoing. Some team pinning,hard trail riding,broke many(despised dumb animals) just a horse riding lifestyle was a daily thing basically! 

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Very cool finds! The Minie Balls are most likely Union and the smaller bullet is probably a much more modern brass jacketed .45 Auto round. The spikes are interesting too, given the description of the round fortification protecting the bridge, it was likely a gun emplacement for a small artillery piece. Good Hunting!

Yeah I think your correct on small it's no  .45 though its 9mm 115gn! You may very well be correct but the rebs had many 3 ring variations as well(I'm pretty certain) could darn sure be incorrect though! Yeah spikes are pretty cool and I've never seen/dug any while finding cw relics from miss to d.c. on my working away sacrificial adventure time!

Thanks el Capitan ghostlight

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

The Captain is correct.  Those are Yankee mini balls.   CS made have two "rings" instead of three.   Still nice finds! 

congrats.👍

They only made two rings? Only used 2 rings? Union,reb I really dont mind which because they're mine forever bahaha! Lol I just didnt realize this only 2 ring thing if true across the board!?

• Like 1