Fisher F5 Question On Discrimination

Not sure if anyone knows but does the F5 have a true Threshold based discrimination (where you see no TID on targets below the threshold set)?

Seems majority of digital machines simply turn off the audio when discriminating.

Thanks

The Motion All Metal side has a true threshold but has no effect on discrimination. In Disc mode the TH acts as a signal strength filter. I'm sure you have read some of Mike Hillis's posts on the F5. I like mine with the NEL 9.5X5.5  Sharpshooter.

• Like 1

When you use the threshold discriminator do you still see the numbers? Majority of VDI machines the discriminator only turns off the audio but don't actually filter out the targets.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, kac said:

When you use the threshold discriminator do you still see the numbers? Majority of VDI machines the discriminator only turns off the audio but don't actually filter out the targets.

I believe you do.  I had a F5 for a hot minute.  I liked the setup, the analog user input into a digital machine.  it was a solid machine, but in my dirt it wasn't a depth demon.  Like JCR said, the Mike Hillis posts on the F5 will speed up the learning process on the F5, he was pretty fond of it.

• Thanks 1

I believe that because the threshold discriminator is software based then it wouldn't behave the same as an analog. I heard it wasn't a depth demon but for most conditions that is not an issue.

7 hours ago, kac said:

I believe that because the threshold discriminator is software based then it wouldn't behave the same as an analog. I heard it wasn't a depth demon but for most conditions that is not an issue.

I need all the depth I can get, along with the superior iron handing for relic sites.  The F5 isn't for these sites, but Mike seemed to get along with it pretty well for turf and jewelry hunting. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Fisher F5 Question On Discrimination